UE3 Samaritan Tech demo screens

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That looks amazing, but hazy screenshots can be deceiving. I definitely dig the bokeh blur though, that's absolutely amazing. I wonder if this is made to run on consoles.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
That looks amazing, but hazy screenshots can be deceiving. I definitely dig the bokeh blur though, that's absolutely amazing. I wonder if this is made to run on consoles.

I hope not. I seriously doubt the consoles could produce all of those effects at good quality.

I'm also hoping I won't have to buy a new card to take full advantage of the new DX11 features. I have an HD5850 and it supports DX11 in hardware, but the performance remains to be seen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Looks amazing. I doubt any current gen console can use all those effects.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unreal Engine 3 Samaritan Tech Demo

Epic Games was showing off the latest Unreal Engine 3 Direct X 11 bells and whistles in its "Samaritan" tech demo this week at GDC.

All of these things should be incorporated into next month's UDK build, but you'd need a beast of a computer to run what's seen here. According to Kotaku a video should be released sometime next week, but until then you'll have to settle for some pretty impressive pictures at 1Up.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
i think this is not for current generation of console. But PC, yes, as long as we have video card support dx11.
"The whole idea behind this is to tell hardware developers and tell game developers this is what you should prepare for down the road," said Epic vice president Mark Rein.
Someone told me the content data(mesh,material...) of the demo is from the unknown new IP of EPIC. Lets see if any details will be unveiled in GDC.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure it is, that's is how Epic decides how to enhance the engine. It wouldn't surprise me if their next first party game, assuming it comes to PC, has a lot of those features on PC.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Holy sh!t :eek:
I'm curious about the video now. Screenshots look awesome but since the dynamic time of day map didn't run as anything but a slideshow on my computer I won't have a chance of running this at all. Guess it's finally time for that hardware upgrade :lol:

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
DX11's tessellation is sorely needed in the gaming world!

Really loving this, especially the myriad of wet pavement effects, heh.
Makes it very realistic.

I wonder if there will be a gigantic leap in the engine's lighting later on, as with UE3.
That actually made UE3 look like a new engine.

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
The people in the comments of that article are idiots. They kept mentioning how "MSAA is useless," that "lol all UE3 games look the same," even "They're not going to be able to make a full game with this." Talk about missing the point entirely. It's not just the fact that the graphics are extremely pretty, it's that those graphics are being rendered in real-time. This tech demo puts pre-rendered FMVs to shame.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also, those images don't look the same as every UE3 game those guys are on some bad pot.