transfer old perfect UT install into new system?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
I did various searches along the lines of "transfer UT install new PC" or "old Unreal Tournament new system" and came up with nothing relevant--hoping I can get a definitive answer on this either yes or no from the gurus here.

Just had a scare. I'm trying to resolve various issues relating to Infiltration and have a number of questions going in the Inf subforum right now. The questions have been posted with largely no responses for around five days now, so hard to say if they'll get answered. In my floundering attempts to address them unaided, I totally kaboshed my UT install. However, I had previously copied my installation to a backup drive, and I was able to recopy this back to my PC, and with the help of a UT99regfix I found to recreate the umod registry entries, it looks like everything's fine.

But this brings to mind an important question, which will certainly arise for me at some point in the future. It takes a lot of work to get UT exactly where you want it, with your perfect combination of mods and various types of settings. What a downer to have to do all the work over again on a new system! But obviously you can't just copy the UT directory over to another PC with different graphics and audio hardware; at the very least UnrealTournament.ini, and TC INIs like Infiltration's, would be messed up, and perhaps other stuff I don't know about. Is there a way to deal with this, maybe be installing UT on a new system from the orginal CD and whatever TCs one uses, then deleting everything from the new install EXCEPT UnrealTournament.ini and the TC INIs, and then copying over all the other files from your 'perfect' install? Would that work? Then all you'd have to do would be to tweak graphics and audio settings to fit your new hardware. Your userini files with your perfect keyboard setup, and all the TC userini's with their different keyboard settings, would remain intact from the previous incarnation and ready to use on the new system.

Or are there flaws I'm not thinking of with that scenario? Are we just stuck installing UT from scratch on new systems?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Just copy your entire folder over to the new spot. In the new folder remove these two files (don't delete, just move them out):
-UnrealTournament.ini
-User.ini
Now fire up the game and load into a map, any map will do. Once you spawn in then you can shut down. Now open the newly generated ini files and copy any information from your old ini files into them that needs to be there. Many times you can get away with just using your old ini files but if you are moving from one computer to another then you ought to generate new ones and edit those. Reason being is that the engine polls the processor when it starts the first time and builds it's internal timer compared to that clock speed it detects. Making it generate those two ini files lets it build a fresh set of settings that will match the new environment properly.

Also I've seen installations just get corrupted over time too. If that happens you can do an in-place reinstall. Make a new folder and install UT into that folder. Once it's done copy everything but ini files into your existing installation, overwriting everything that matches. In essence you are rewriting the stock files just to make sure they are not corrupted. I've done this several times over the years to fix crashing that I couldn't solve. Some core file corrupted somewhere so a refreshing cleared it up.

Hope all that helps.

Reactions: Ironword300

Ironword300

Mar 2, 2016
Medor & Gopostal, that's exactly what I was looking for. Both replies were necessary as I am on Win7 and, if I have to, will most likely move to 10, so I got the archive. But gopostal provided the invaluable detailed instructions, and the reasons behind them, without which the procedure might well tank. Thanks a bunch to both!

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Heh...I have been using the same install folder for about 12 years; I just keep adding stuff to it and it never fails to run. I just copied the folder to the new HDD (or put the old HDD was in the new system) and ran it. The new graphics cards, CPUs...everything was detected correctly.

Maybe naive, but it just works...no need to even install the game on the system.