Touching up the list: 950 ways

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've got your list, I'm just trying to find time to review it....sorry :)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Time to bump this thread once again. Since Sir_Brizz obviously doesn't have time for it (no offence, there), I've done it myself...as good as I can.
Here's the link: http://users.skynet.be/golden_dragon/UT/UT2k4_1001_reasons.html

And since no one is going to scout to find out where the new ones are, I might as well post them here:

-When friends ask if there are some new maps released at some times, you reply (including a grim): new maps? Almost EVERY DAY!
-You use the UT playing smileys from BeyondUnreal in ICQ, MSN and IRC...or at least you try to use them
-You want to frag the carrier of the olympic flame, because you think he's a flag carrier
-When you leave the grocery store with full bags, you think 'so this is what it's like -when you pick up a weapon locker'
-You almost had an heart attack when the server first discovered a speed hack on your game (remember that cheaters can get banned from UT2004 all the way)
-You live in the game and sleep on the servers
-even in real life, you manage to get stuck in meshes
-You actually give a damn about the NGStats, because you think you're the best player of them all
-Before UT2004 came out, you wanted to steal blueprints from the maps from the Epic Studios
-You start trashing the neighborhood so it resembles more like AS-Convexia
-You code a clock on your HUD, so you don't have to look away from your computer screen to know what time it is
-You get stuck in the volleybalnet, because you wanted to walldodge backwards from it to hit the ball
-you raise your definition of 'n00b' to: anyone who doesn't know a certain strategy/tactic that you know, no matter how complex it is
-You suspect almost everyone you see to play the game too...and that you might have played against them
-you start playing a real sport just because it might help increase your hand-eye coordination
-when you break your arm, you play translocator area
-you once opened a level without bots, just to practice some jumps, walldodges,...
-you make UT poetry: http://forums.unrealplayground.com/showthread.php?p=275213#post275213
-you open up UnrealGame.int and add all the reasons as 'game hints' to display as the game is loading
-you answer a rorschach test like this
-when your friend says 'I own a dog' you think his dog knows how to play UT...poorly
-you want to use your shield gun to take something from on top of your wardrobe
-you turn off the music, set the graphics as basic as possible to squeeze every FPS and for better view, set the FOV to 150, clear every visual detail of your HUD and force everyone into Gorge...and still manage to enjoy the result :-\
-when you pick up your breakfast, you think: 'breakfast taken. Next respawn in 24 hours'
-when you're in a hurry, you jump and try to move backward four times in rapid succession
-http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=394966 (no more explanation needed)
-whenever you're offended, you press your 'auto taunt' button
-you move to a house right next to the telephone company in an effort to reduce your ping
-even though it was windy, you're convinced that there was SOMEONE using the invisibility combo
-you took the time to read all the tournament's bio's...over and over again
-you discuss the pronounciation of the word 'pwn' (get to this thread:
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=386860)
-you once used your portion of mashed potatoes to construct the basics of an onslaught map
-you're teaching your 8 year old nephew the fine art of deathmatch
-each week, you clean your mouse...even if it's an optical one
-you know how to park your car in a 180 spin
-you changed all the introduction hints from Onslaugt.int, UT2k4Assault.int, UnrealGame.int, ... to reasons why you play too much UT

-you have more than one version of UT2004 installed on your pc (post here: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=401019)
-you don't blink your eyes anymore when playing the game (yep, there's a thread about this one too: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=401378)
-you build a soundproof room, so you will FINALLY be able to play with the music as loud as you want, and will not be disturbed by anything...like a nucleair war or something
-since you've installed UT, the UT icon never left your windows' "most recently used programs" shortcut list
-you only feel alive when playing UT
-when downloading five mods/models/skins/maps/whatever at a time, you consider yourself on a D O W N L O A D I N G S P R E E ! ! !
-you create a new partition, install linux on it, figure out how it all works and finally install UT on it...because you heard it runs smoother under linux than on windows
-when you pick up your breakfast, you think: 'breakfast taken. Next respawn in 24 hours'
-after picking up breakfast, you 'feel' your health increasing
-more people know your nick than the people who know the nickname 'Player'
-when donating blood to the red cross, you wonder why it doesn't look green
-...You also wonder if you you're now fragged somehow
-you've read the manual
-when you're really drunk, you see flying leviathans instead of pink elephants
-you never steal anything, 'cause you think it will despawn if you turn your back on it
-if you're a burglar, you break into someone's house and steal nothing but their UT-discs
-when riding the dodgems, you try to throw bola's at other cars
-You're just playing on a server...You're becoming good. Suddenly, you start to realise...everything about the game. The textures fade away into lines of code; other players shine in moving green code toward you, but you can ...read...everything they are gonna do before they even start. Your mind wanders of as you counter every attack enemies make. Almost thoughtless, your moving speed exceeds the one of the level. You can see how the code works that detects speed hacks, and you see it override your movement capabilities. Unable to move, you stand before your nemesis as he shoots you, starting the code string that will remove you from this world. You realise it is the way it should be, as the code spreads out over you. You...awaken. You're in a world with even better textures than UT. You remove your arms from the devices that made you move, and use them to take off the tentacles that made you hear. You exit your cocoon that was your life, and wander away to see what the real world has to offer you.
-whenever somethings wrong, you check wether you can fix it with an user.ini tweak.
-when wearing a backpack, you can see what's in it by checking your HUD...or at least you try to do that
-sometimes, you suddenly hear the 'objective in danger' alarm sound

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Actualy I've been owkring on it. I just haven't had alot of time to get it finished. I'm doing deep like English editing of it, making sure each one makes sense along with the edits you made...so it will get done :)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
**Über-long bump**

Well...after 1.5 years, I read throught he list again and had a bunch of good laughs, as well as some good memories of the early UT2004 days :)

Then I came up with a new reason. And then another reason. And then...
Oh, well. I finished the list (new entries from around 900-ish). I have it linked on my homepage. Check it out...it has new comedy gold, such as...

Your child is making his or her first steps, but you're too busy defending the flag to notice

and

You dance around for no reason. When someone asks what's up, you reply "I'm trying to activate the invisibility combo to sneak into the girls' dressing-room"

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Man i wish i could do uber l333333t dodge jumps like the jugs instead of walking in the street :(