Too early to ask for UT2010?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
If they going to make next UT it could be in previous titles style: cyberpunk/goth and other various styles. Not just centering on asian-necris-liandri theme like in UT3 (lack of themes=boring)

For sure! Basically, if they make it a TOURNAMENT they'll be onto a winner - and steer away from the current theme of UT3.. just new content, new maps, few more characters / factions. :D
Also if they focus more on DM and CTF. Even bring back Assualt, yeah!

I think they would definately release another UT on the UE3 - all the custom content will still be compatable, for example.. It should be good for a number of years, the current engine still has more potential than has even been shown :eek:

Last edited:

dirtyharry

Jun 11, 2008
Massachusetts
While all this talk is a pleasant distraction, lets face it, they haven't finished UT3 yet ! I would rather place my hopes and dreams on a UT3.5 LOL

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Important to note :
The Company's actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in the forward-looking statements as a result of these risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, the financial strength of the interactive entertainment industry, dependence on new product introductions and the ability to maintain the scheduling of such introductions, technological changes, dependence on major platform manufacturers

Besides ... the press-release merely tells us the stuff they want us to know.
It does not tell us what reasons Epic/Midway can use for not publishing another UT for the pc-platform.
A really low roi probably would be amongst the things that would allow for such things as Midway would not want to be forced into financing something that could bankrupt them. It's not exactly looking good for Midway at the moment.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If they really do make another game and add the "Unreal Tournament" label to it, I for one won't be suckered into buying it by my enthusiasm to hurry up and get a custom CTF map out there like I was last time. Instead I'll wait until the PC version has been vetted.

At this point I don't have any faith at all in Epic's desire to make a legitimate UT game for the PC, not after seeing how mangled UT3 was.
What's funny is how you somehow kept that faith after UT2003, which was, arguably, a much more turdy release :)

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
why does everyone keep saying "if there will be another ut" EPIC is contractually blinded to make another UT on the unreal engine 3.

Why? Because UT3 was an abject failure and it might not make economic sense to invest in producing another UT game and a long, complicated contract might contain all sorts of contingency clauses and escape clauses for dealing with that just sort of a problem.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
What's funny is how you somehow kept that faith after UT2003, which was, arguably, a much more turdy release :)

I never bought UT 2003 since I didn't have the computer for it but I did buy UT 2004 and liked Onslaught and Invasion-RPG.

I only have myself to blame for buying UT3, though. I liked the Demo's game play but I was fully aware that the retail version would be the Beta Demo since I had read the reports that were filtering out of Germany. But like I said, I wanted to hurry up and pump out a CTF map in the hopes that by releasing one early it would become one of the top custom maps. Then I learned that the game really had proven to be a stillborn. I knew it was going to have issues but I hadn't anticipated that almost no one would play it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It's never too early to ask for anything new ...
It is too early to ask for a repeat of the same mistakes that got us here however ;)

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Frankly, UT "as how we knew it" has been gone since 2002.

Quoted for truth.
Given that I don't have the system to run it, though, I can't say how the PC version performs. I will say, though, that the 360 version is the closest thing that I can get to the original UT without booting it up...

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
And even if they did, I am quite confident that they'd be not saying a damn thing about the game until they're sure it's polished. Things mentioned and then canned were one of the things that probably caused disappointment with UT3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd rather like to think it was the fact that they never portrayed a clear vision for the game. things that were cut were never said to be cut, even in previews and such. If you're going to talk about game features early in development and then cut them later, that is fine. But make sure people know what has and has not been cut when it's been previously reported.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I'd rather like to think it was the fact that they never portrayed a clear vision for the game. things that were cut were never said to be cut, even in previews and such. If you're going to talk about game features early in development and then cut them later, that is fine. But make sure people know what has and has not been cut when it's been previously reported.

Do you suppose that that stuff is supposed to make up the second release Midway has the contract to publish? They are awful quiet about that sort of thing.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I doubt Epic is going to announce future IPs in a forum thread.

True. But on the other hand the community is dying - many community sites worldwide are closing down (My country Greece has no new posts on its UT site any more lol). I don't expect them to announce new IP here. But a mention of the kind "wait up guys we are doing something new and we are getting back on track" would be nice.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Personally, i want a real fix to the BP1 screenshot and description issue. I would then like a port of all that UT360 exclusive content in the form of BP2.
Then i require ut3.5. With a real menu system and an actual tournament. The level descriptions need to be fixed in order to eliminate any references to the "war" that happened in ut3. Any descriptions that reference the war must be purged and re-written.
Like those descriptions that say "If the axon win this battle they will have access to the other side of the river and a formidable amount of leviathans." This is a load of BS if the context is tournament instead of war. This must be rewritten.

If they followed these simple guidlines i would be a happy bunny! :lol:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004

IMO more like never presenting a clear vision for the Franchise.