1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Too early to ask for UT2010?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by kafros, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kafros

kafros F1 manta tryouts

Set on a giant black monolith, maybe?

Protagonist going in saying: OMG it is full of bugs :D (sorry)

If wartourist is not too angry at my space odyssey post, can we have some info on the next UT (if there is ever going to be one)?

thanks

2. haramanai

haramanai New Member

Yes they will have Linux client in the box.
    Ase re kafre...

3. kafros

kafros F1 manta tryouts

4. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

There will probably be another UT, but I think they will develop an Unreal Engine 4 first, maybe after they have finished working on UE3. UT4 will probably not be the first game in the new engine either.

Microsoft will attempt to hire them again for sure and stall efforts on other UE4 games so they can lead the market for half a year, breaking in the next console generation and collecting most of the money. Don't know if that will be a Gears of War 4 or 5, but something action packed and gruesome for sure.

Before I forget it, id Tech 5 looks real cool too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

why does everyone keep saying "if there will be another ut" EPIC is contractually blinded to make another UT on the unreal engine 3. the contract they have with midway stated to have 2 "unreal tournament games" released on the unreal 3 engine. so yes there will be another ut before the years of 2012-2016 (when the next consoles and unreal engine are expected to be relased) which means, yes you can fully expect another unreal tournament game somewhere in the 2009-2011 time frame.

but if you expect wartourist to tell you anything about the game specifically then that is some real wishful thinking LOL...im sure he wont say anything about the game until 6-12 months before it is scheduled to be released.

6. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

Source?
    I remember the contract being very different than this. :rolleyes:

7. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Why should he be under more obligation than you to provide a source?

Anyhow: http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=6478

8. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

http://www.midway.com/rxpage/mpr_954.html

with the important part being

and of course that article was posted back when the contract was made in the summer of 2004, so when they say "next generation" they are talking about the generation of consoles/pc we are on now, and so far we have seen 1 unreal tournament game, so another will follow before the future consoles are released in 2011-2015 (expected guess)

9. Draco73

Draco73 New Member

LOL @ hal, guess we both had the same idea at the same time

10. Jrubzjeknf

Jrubzjeknf Registered Coder

Will that be using UE3 or UE4?

11. d3tox

d3tox Face down in a pool of his own vomit.

I'm placing my marker on the next one being with ue3... This feels all to eerily similar to 2k3's life.

12. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

I'd prefer they use a beefed up version of UE3. The more the stick with that engine, the more chances people will have of playing this game, be it UT3.5 or a UT4. Keep with a nice solid based that can accommodate the widest range of machines.

This way, they can scale it up to cater for people with best hardware, but tweak it down to squeeze more performance on crapper machines. (an analogy would be the hi res S3 texture pack for Unreal/UT or the HiDef models pack for Half Life/Blue Shift)

Most of the issues with UT3 aren't really engine related, it's more game design decisions, such as UI, Web functionality etc This stuff could be easily added on top of the current game and engine.

I think the directions QuakeLive is taking is a good example (not the advertisements though - that sucks)

13. XeroWolf

XeroWolf Unreal Ninja

But they're not done with UT3 yet.

14. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

Uhh it only says Midway has publishing rights not that they are obligated nor Epic to produce another UT...

;)

15. Sys-X

Sys-X Commercialized Killer !!!

UE3.5 :lol::lol::lol:

16. Scuzzbuster

Scuzzbuster It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

Publishing rights only really means that they reserve the right for it. If they don't see UT3's sales performance worthy of another title, one won't be made. However, Epic is on record saying that there will be more Unreal titles to come, but it's not going to be any sort of focus until GOW2 is out the door.

I'm happy to let the franchise rest for a while.

UT3 underperformed expectations sales-wise, but it was still profitable. We'll see more.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  17. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

yeah really with all the moronic bitchin n whinin and moanin I'd be surprised if we get much press at all on the next UT which really kinda sukcs... but i wont care that much as long as its done "when its done" this time :)

18. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

If they really do make another game and add the "Unreal Tournament" label to it, I for one won't be suckered into buying it by my enthusiasm to hurry up and get a custom CTF map out there like I was last time. Instead I'll wait until the PC version has been vetted.

At this point I don't have any faith at all in Epic's desire to make a legitimate UT game for the PC, not after seeing how mangled UT3 was.

19. ne_skaju

ne_skaju lost and found

If they going to make next UT it could be in previous titles style: cyberpunk/goth and other various styles. Not just centering on asian-necris-liandri theme like in UT3 (lack of themes=boring)

And, of course, make it on UE3 but netcode should be fixed. Most disliked bug for me is that you cannot use Impact hammer jump with ping over 100.

20. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

I hope they change the input stuff for the engine so it's not as fps dependent.