Thoughts on UT2007 being shipped on consoles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of UT2007 being cross-platform?

• Total voters

krjal

Minotaur
May 10, 2005
Australia
Yep. I'm not worried. Epic said it's PC first so they'll do it right.

I'm sure the GoW team can give the UT team a hand when they get to 360ing it anyway.

SkummyB|BuF

Would you like to see me dance?
Feb 19, 2000
Liverpool, UK
www.bombardiers.org
one slight problem i don't think anyone's touched on... patches - how long is it going to take to see updates if the whole thing has to be redone for 3 different platforms before we see it?

thats if the console versions can be patched at all... bad idea :s

BulletProof

...I wish I was
Mar 27, 2002
Maryland, U.S.
Visit site
Just trust Epic to do it properly and create another great game. When have they really let you down? UT2003? nah, it was still a great game.

By bringing UT2007 to consoles they are exposing more people to Unreal and from a business perspective greatly increasing their revenue. What you guys should be more worried about is the implications involved with Epic's willingness to go exclusive with GOW and that UT2k7 will suffer because Epic is overextending itself (two major releases, GOW and UT2k7, slated for 2006 + the engine) and might be handing out its workload to the other companies it has bought out recently. Especially since in the past the worst Epic games have been those with other developers hands on them (U2 and UT2003).

]SideWinder[

Winder of the Sides
Apr 26, 2005
SkummyB|BuF said:
one slight problem i don't think anyone's touched on... patches - how long is it going to take to see updates if the whole thing has to be redone for 3 different platforms before we see it?

thats if the console versions can be patched at all... bad idea :s
Halo2 gets patches all the time.... so I dont know what your talking about as far as if they can be patched on consoles. But more then likely they will make the PC patch first, because we are there main market. Then the Consuls next. Im sure they will fix most of the bugs the PC has when its out for consuls before they ship them. That is assuming the PC vertions come out first.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
The only negative i can see with porting to consoles it that everyone seems to pointlessly whine about it.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
They won't patch PC first because we are the bigger market, the will patch PC first because we are the primary source of online dedicated servers. Epic rarely breaks net compatibility patch to patch, so some console versions may not even need to patch barring some nasty bugs.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
not gonna hurt my experience of it playing on the pc so i don't give a cr#p whether they port it either way, strikes me though, that it be a better idea to do a UC2 sequel on console platforms.

[C]HùñtêR|PuF

Feb 1, 2000
Visit site
sure

ill have ut2007 on my pc and they will have it on their xbox

which input is better for this game, hmm...doofux xbox controller or keyboard/mouse (or in my case since im leet, trackball)

ie PC users would crush consolers like snot in multi lol

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
BulletProof said:
Just trust Epic to do it properly and create another great game. When have they really let you down? UT2003? nah, it was still a great game.

Epic didn't let me down with UT2003, Digital Extremes did.

]SideWinder[

Winder of the Sides
Apr 26, 2005
hunterw said:
sure

ill have ut2007 on my pc and they will have it on their xbox

which input is better for this game, hmm...doofux xbox controller or keyboard/mouse (or in my case since im leet, trackball)

ie PC users would crush consolers like snot in multi lol
Why do you assume that the two games will beable to cross platform like that?
I dont understand how you could make that kind of assumtion. The only game that ever did that was FF11. That worked because its an MMO, no real skill needed there.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
They wouldn't be cross platform, it be a logistical nighmare!
also console ports would probably have target assistance which mostly means they won't be cross platform it'd be a unfair playing field.

It's all to easy to blame digital extremes