The smoking trick : lose your game with style !

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
This night, on the jgkdo server , i was in a team with Hatebreed (we were only the 2 of us, as it was late night) , and in the opposite team there was someone that is a mix of the Hulk and the Predator : Deathwalker.

Deathwalker was alone yes, but he was a real monster without any pity and remorse , so he just killed the both of us an incredible amount of time on several maps , despite all the tricks we tried .

So at some point, i decided that it was enough unstylish dying for us
Then i followed the stylish way to die and used an original trick to reach my goal.
I successfully launched a smoking grenade on the top of the head of Hatebreed, and with such a living/moving smoke cover :) , we decided to go to kill this Deathwalker oppressor.
We were killed soon after the smoke ended on the head of Hatebreed.
But the idea was good, we died with style !

This was the latest episode of the "Online Adventures of Unlucky FieldMedic" :D

Attachments

• smoky.jpg
    smoky.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 162
  • smoky2.jpg
    smoky2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

[C22]-Acolyte

Ai kotoba afuro to gunsou!
Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
This "feature" opens a possibility for an exploit. Throwing a smoke on your head and walking forwards can cause the smoke nade to move hunderds of meters in front of you (from your point of view), while others see the smoke coming from your head. In short, you can be under the smoke and have total visibility thus gain an unfair advantage.

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
ah, i thought the smoke actually moved that far. Also, if you suicide once you have the smoke on your head, it remains on your 'ghost's' head, so you can actually fly around giving your living teammates cover, very unfair :(

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
LMAO, i really don't think it will be abused. I can't possibly see how someone would gain some huge advantage by carrying around a smoke nade. They are going to be extremely easy to spot... just look for the moving smoke!

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
It's pretty easy to do. I did it a long time ago, but really didn't thing twice about it. But, if it makes it look like the smoke is far away...that's a bad thing. On the other hand, it lets you leave a trail of smoke across the map with a single nade. Now, it won't last long, maybe just enough to sprint across an open area, but still, that's not what it was intended for. I just don't think that something that spews forth smoke is the ideal thing to carry on a person, whether in your hands or stuck to your head :eek:

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
If you drop it on your head and move around then the smoke nade moves faster than yourself. This pushes it into walls and other obstacles pretty easily and if the nade ends up in 'null' space (between walls for example) then it gets destroyed. So moving around with it effectively is very very hard. So, this is really nothing you can easily exploit on most of the maps out there.

And to the dead ghosting with a smoke nade... never saw that and I cannot think of a way that this would be possible at all cause the ghosts have no collision and so the smoke nade would never stay on top. Only way would be if somehow the smoke nade would remain 'based' on the dead player, but then you woud need to suicide on your spawn location to let it stick on the same position. Based objects are moving around relatively and so it should be pretty hard to get this thing on the spot where you spawn again as a ghost. And... I would not kill myself with a smoke nade on top of my head just to spread some cover smoke somehwere... a living player is still of a much higher value than any smoke cover can be.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Beppo said:
If you drop it on your head and move around then the smoke nade moves faster than yourself. This pushes it into walls and other obstacles pretty easily and if the nade ends up in 'null' space (between walls for example) then it gets destroyed. So moving around with it effectively is very very hard. So, this is really nothing you can easily exploit on most of the maps out there.
But that is only how you see it, the smoke nade flying away. For other people around the smoke lies on your head and stays there.