The Night The Lights Went Out …

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Yeah, some brainiac released some ways to drop Unreal Engine servers publically instead of telling Epic first.

Unrelated. GS moved our master server location and it's looking like slow DNS propagation (still a theory). When people with the issue start sending in their ips, we'll hopefully have more info.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I get random numbers of servers, but usually 3 the first time I do a search. This is for WARfare. Afet 3-4 refreshes I sometimes get ~70 servers. But, not all the ones that are there appear. The ones I am interested are the populated ones, UMG specifically, and it appears only when I get ~70 in the list and then only about ~50% of the time . This is very odd, random numbers, but 3 servers always show up every 4-5 refreshes.

Maybe GameSpy is trying to kill UT3 for PC?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I get random numbers of servers, but usually 3 the first time I do a search. This is for WARfare. Afet 3-4 refreshes I sometimes get ~70 servers. But, not all the ones that are there appear. The ones I am interested are the populated ones, UMG specifically, and it appears only when I get ~70 in the list and then only about ~50% of the time . This is very odd, random numbers, but 3 servers always show up every 4-5 refreshes.
That would seem to rule out DNS issues.

:tinfoil3:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice

I'ts also affecting UT2004. (And other games using the engines)

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Tip: Don't ever use Gamespy again.

Tip: Give the UT franchise the same treatment as the GoW franchise and make it for PC-Only. Play to the strengths of each platform. GoW for consoles, UT for PC.

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Hi, that's not accurate. The issues with servers not returning in the browser is unrelated to the hacks released last weekend.

I didn't say anything about hacks. Servers are indeed not returning like they should in 2k4 and in UT3, whatever the cause may be.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
I didn't say anything about hacks. Servers are indeed not returning like they should in 2k4 and in UT3, whatever the cause may be.

My mistake. When you mentioned this:

I'ts also affecting UT2004. (And other games using the engines)

I took that as you saying that the hacks released this weekend (which CAN effect UT2004, other UE games) were related to no servers being returned in the UT3 browser. Since UT2004 doesn't use GS, the zero servers returned issue being experienced by some folks on UT3 isn't replicated to UT2004.

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
Ok so I still cant get servers to show up on UT3...any idea when this will be fixed or anything I can do on my end?

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
My mistake. When you mentioned this:

I took that as you saying that the hacks released this weekend (which CAN effect UT2004, other UE games) were related to no servers being returned in the UT3 browser. Since UT2004 doesn't use GS, the zero servers returned issue being experienced by some folks on UT3 isn't replicated to UT2004.

I'll take that, but something weird is definitely going on, and it's not just me.

I'm seeing in general a lot fewer, but wildly fluctuating numbers of servers almost every time I refresh. It doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, because I can still find populated servers If I refresh enough times, and the people on the server don't seem to notice that anything's up. Perhaps its an issue with certain ISPs.

Last edited:

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
I'm seeing in general a lot fewer, but wildly fluctuating numbers of servers almost every time I refresh.

Hi, that's definitely happening and we're seeing the same issue here on UT3 (though not the zero servers issue). We're hoping they're related and if that one goes away the zero servers problem will as well.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Hi guys. GameSpy BELIEVES they've addressed the issue. Our local repro case sporadic server returns on refresh is fixed, but since we can't duplicate the zero servers issues let us know if you're still seeing it.

GS mentioned it could take 90 minutes for all folks to see the changes, so if by 8pm Eastern you're still seeing zero servers returned drop me a PM.

Thanks!