the French attacked first?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
We need to send in a elite team of Marines assisted by an Air Force intel babe to destroy the alien invaders' command and control ship. Oh wait, wrong movie.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
However, mark my words. The day will come where troops will be needed to ensure the safety of the free world, and Obama will waffle about it until it's too late.

This whole thing is ridiculous. When the French finally get around to do it, you know you're being indecisive. This should have happened weeks ago. Watch as we proceed to screw up in Bahrain as well.

Wait, you're annoyed that our President waited on information and global support before intervening in another country's moves towards civil war? Yes, there is brutality, and yes, there is crackdowns, but it's not even like it's some sort of ethnic cleansing, but rather against armed insurgents (and yes, they are seeking democratic reform, but they are, at the same time, trying to overthrow their government).

I too am annoyed that the world has acted so slowly, but this is no threat to our national security, it is no threat to world peace, it isn't even ethnic/racial/sexual oppression. It's garden variety dictator crap and while it's awful isn't particularly more awful than the actions of many of our trade partners.

I also like your assertion that Obama will fail to stop a force that threatens "the safety of the free world." I can only assume you just watched Battlefield LA and followed it up with some Ann Coulter and Glenn Beck. Calm yoself.

~Jason

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
It's true. We're probably not going to send troops. Pehaps maybe the occasional special forces mission, but that's about it.

However, mark my words. The day will come where troops will be needed to ensure the safety of the free world, and Obama will waffle about it until it's too late.

This whole thing is ridiculous. When the French finally get around to do it, you know you're being indecisive. This should have happened weeks ago. Watch as we proceed to screw up in Bahrain as well.

Will you feel the same if a tax hike is proposed to pay for all this "world policing" you so adamantly support?

Edit:

...or are you, like most "conservatives", just using this as another opportunity to slam a president you dislike?

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Oil grab! Nation building!

When I heard the French struck first I became curious if they get all their oil from Libya. Because that would make a lot of sense now.

Unless it is perfectly logical to assume they struck first because they are the closer than England and the US.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Will you feel the same if a tax hike is proposed to pay for all this "world policing" you so adamantly support?

Edit:

...or are you, like most "conservatives", just using this as another opportunity to slam a president you dislike?

No kidding. Since when has it been the United States that always had to go in first?

Also to TWD, Obama wasn't being indecisive. He tried diplomatic efforts at first, but when Gadhafi clearly lied about calling a cease-fire, Obama decided that diplomacy wasn't going to work, so we have what we have now. Nothing indecisive about that. It was the best thing Obama could have done in this situation. Better than the faulty knee-jerk evidence of "WMD's" that the second Bush had going into Iraq. (But I do agree with Bush going into Afghanistan after the Taliban/al-Qaeda, which was quite obvious the right decision.)

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Wait, you're annoyed that our President waited on information and global support before intervening in another country's moves towards civil war? Yes, there is brutality, and yes, there is crackdowns, but it's not even like it's some sort of ethnic cleansing, but rather against armed insurgents (and yes, they are seeking democratic reform, but they are, at the same time, trying to overthrow their government).

~Jason

Waited on what information? Was he waiting for the rebel opposition to get all but wiped out first? I think you have it wrong. He didn't wait for global support or information. There was never a global strategy from the beginning. He flip flopped on the issue while different members of the White House gave their own opinions on the matter. Then he waited for the French to tell him what to do. Obama had ample opportunity to do something and act on the issue, but he blew it. Instead we had to rely on Brittan and France to do the right thing, and lead on creating a no fly zone.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Waited on what information? Was he waiting for the rebel opposition to get all but wiped out first? I think you have it wrong. He didn't wait for global support or information. There was never a global strategy from the beginning. He flip flopped on the issue while different members of the White House gave their own opinions on the matter. Then he waited for the French to tell him what to do. Obama had ample opportunity to do something and act on the issue, but he blew it. Instead we had to rely on Brittan and France to do the right thing, and lead on creating a no fly zone.

Think about this dude. Within 12 Hours three nations begin combined operations with numerous ships and jets. You do not think any preliminary planning was involved? That once the UN resolution passed the targets of the 112 cruise missiles was picked spontaneously and launched?

Clearly this operation had been planned out for at least a few days while everyone waited for the UN to say something. France is simply the closest nation to Libya and could clearly respond the fastest.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Think about this dude. Within 12 Hours three nations begin combined operations with numerous ships and jets. You do not think any preliminary planning was involved? That once the UN resolution passed the targets of the 112 cruise missiles was picked spontaneously and launched?

Clearly this operation had been planned out for at least a few days while everyone waited for the UN to say something. France is simply the closest nation to Libya and could clearly respond the fastest.

Heh. I was just thinking about these logistics... I would argue that this would be evidence that Obama and the rest of the Coalition did have a decisive plan of attack so to speak if some conditions were met.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Yeah. Okay. It's a good thing we just HAPPENED to have some aircraft carriers in the area and as pointed out, targets and a plan just came together from nowhere in a multinational strike against multiple targets within the country within hours. This is clearly the work of an administration that had absolutely no plan while engaging in international political strategy that doesn't get the Arab world on our ass for.

And how DARE a president wait for UN approval before launching a military attack on a sovereign nation that poses no actual risk to our national security. We have TOTALLY NEVER been bitten in the ass by that...

~Jason

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

*Le sigh*

Here's the deal: The USA is pretty much barred from actively partisipating in this opperation, since the UN is dead set on having the Arab League onboard with the opperation, and the Arab League has a rather strained relationship with the USA at the moment, and the last thing they need is press about how "the great Satan invades another Muslim country!! Ohh noes!" muddying up the waters.

This stuff is a huge diplomatic move, an effort to mend the rift between the Western and Arab world that has resulted from Iraq and Afghanistan.
The opperation will be spearheaded by forces from all of the EU, yes, not just France, pretty much the whole EU, minus Germany, are involved (even the small countries like Denmark and Norway, we've got F16's prepping for combat down there right now), and the Arab League nations.

The USA will not be partisipating directly, but are providing any auxillary support that they can, without becoming directly involved in the fighting.

Thems the odds, and Obama could not call any shots on this one, not without ruining the coalition with the Arab League and what is a great diplomatic move, that can really go a long way in creating some good-will in the Arab world for the West.
This one had to come from someone else, from the UN and the EU, and so it has.

As for the Frenchy bashing, yeah, nobody likes the French, and it's kinda funny and all, but i really hope none of you guys actually belive in the joke..

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It's not just embarrassing being praised by a dictator, he even put our country next to such "trustworthy" nations as Russia, India and China. :rolleyes:
Great job there, Angela.

Yeah i woulden't be too thrilled by that either.

I get that Germany has a rather unfortunate history when it comes to war, and with that in mind, it's commendable that Germany today wants to stay out of armed conflicts as much as possible, and promote a peacefull Germany who will allways think twice before bringing out the guns.

But i really think they fudged this one up.. sometimes doing nothing is allmost as bad as beeing the aggressor, you know, the whole "all evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing" thing.

And besides, helping the Libyan people fight against tyrrany, and for democracy, would be the polar opposite of Germany's role in WWII, so it would actually be a good move twords repairing the German image.
Whereas sitting on the sideline, and just ignoring a run amok Fascist, kinda isen't..

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Holy ****, when will you americans get over this anti french thing? I thought it got old like 15 years ago.