The driver-gunner rule. Worry.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Origim

Aug 18, 2004
I know that in this post I will tackle the very core of XMP gameplay, therefore I will suggest considering the following idea as an option that can be turned on/off.

Disclaimer: the following is my opinion only.

All the vehicles in XMP, except the tank, had the driver only driving and the gunner only..gunning. Gunner recieved points, while driver did not. In public games, vehicles were used VERY little because of (a)bad handling (b) you needed a gunner (frustrating to wait for one) and (c) driver did not recieve any points and was looked down upon at the end of a game as 'useless new player who can't score anything' by many. I know I was when I played the role of a driver.

Having one person shoot and other drive in a small vehicle such as the Raptor buggy is more of an annoyance IMO than teamwork. Both driver and gunner need to be in perfect sync to achieve any usefulness from a vehicle, and that is hard to do even in clan games (you might be trying to aim, but then a driver suddenly changes direction and you miss completely).

With that said, i therefore propose to make the following changes to gameplay:

**Raptor/Buggy: XMP original: Driver - drives. Gunner- shoots the cannon.

CHANGES: Make the Raptor a one person vehicle, with the cannon contollable by the driver himself (like UT2004's scorpion).

**The big tank (forgot the name): XMP Original: Driver - drives & controlls a close range flamethrower. Gunner- controlls the main cannon.

CHANGES: leave as is.

**Rocket launcher vehicle (forgot the name, again): XMP Original (correct me if I'm wrong on this one): Driver- drives. Gunner #1- controls the rocket launcher. Gunner #2- controls the aft high-refire rate EMP gun.

CHANGES: Make the driver drive and control the rocket launcher. Leave the aft EMP gun for a gunner to control.

In my opinion, that will make the vehicles more useful.

UT2004 scored it right with vehicles- they made Solo vehicles such as Scorpion/Manta/Raptor, then they made vehicles that could be controlled solo, but would be more useful if with a gunner (Goliath/Leviathan/upcoming Cicada), and then there is a full teamwork vehicles such as Hellbender. That system made me want to buy the game now when I tried the demo.

Also, on a side note, if Beta ever becomes avilable, contact me. I would be happy to test it. (May test 4-6 hours/week, sometimes (maybe) up to 14 houes/week) :)

Last edited:

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
I think the best way to solve this is to split the points since it requires both to handle it. Making the raptor a one man vehicle would not be a good idea imo. The raptor is the best getaway for two artifact carriers. All vehicles should be left like the originals.

Pro^Kp

[DCSB]Callisto/Talon|Se7eN
Jan 24, 2004
well like u said there should be an enable/disable in the server.ini for this i would always have it on disabled personally, no offence but i like the vehicles the way they are.

Btw The Big Tank is the Juggernaught and the rocket bus (lol) is the Harbinger

Origim

Aug 18, 2004
Emmet Otter said:
I think the best way to solve this is to split the points since it requires both to handle it. Making the raptor a one man vehicle would not be a good idea imo. The raptor is the best getaway for two artifact carriers. All vehicles should be left like the originals.

Well, I know that driver-gunner system HAS it's advantages- driver tries to run to the base as fast as he can, while the artifact carrier gunner shoots any pursuit.... It would be hard to achieve a balance. Maybe you're right, vehicles should stay as they are....

Maybe the DEVs could atleast add some one person vehicle that can be similar to a Scoprion? :(

washuu

A Lazy XMP Beta Tester
Oct 18, 2003
Minnesota
www.washuu.org
Since it's on ut2k4, any server owner could add a mutator, that can use ut2k4 vehicles/weapons.

I personally don't see to much of a problem from harby and raptor.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Origim
If changes to the XMP-vehicles are made and they are optional then I'd rather see them as a mutator that can be filtered instead of a server-side option that's invisible.
Such a mutator could also allow people to create replacement vehicles for the default XMP-variants.

I think the better option would be to count any kills by the gunner(s) as 'assisted' kills for the rest of the crew.
Perhaps as an additional 'feature' you could also award points to the driver for transporting the artifact-carrier to the base-zone ?

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
i think the balance is just right, because the driver of the harby had to work hard to not roll the vehicle, and on utxmp it will probobly be the same.

Origim

Aug 18, 2004
Assisting score would be a great idea! That way the driver will atleast be able to gain something. :)

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
ok i personally like it the way it is
however i would like the switch mode from UT2004 implemented
so u can swap from driver to gunner by pressing the weapon numbers
rather then getting out

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I just hope ill still be able to catch mad air over a hill and land on someone gutblowing them while blowing the horn in the raptor.

The new engine should fix the handling, which was my only issue with the vehicles before, although i never used anything but the raptor lol.

I think it would be cool to see the ut vehicles used in xmp as well, with some new skins that make em match xmp, i think they would fit right in and add more variety, hopefully people do this in custom maps etc.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
I agree with phalanx on the idea of being able to switch positions in the vehicle, because it is a pain to get into the wrong seat, and haft to get out of the vehicle to move to the right positiong :/

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
ya... with some tweaks, yes.... i thought i saw an ut2k4 vehicle in a utxmp map... but it was only a raptor... lol...

Promo 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Plz don't change the driver/gunner capabilities! Default setting should be as it was!

ONE SUGGESTION: Always thought it was fake that driver and gunner must be same team... How about driver/gunner can be opposing teams??? Now that will be funny. Again I think this should be an option, but not the default "Stock XMP" setting.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Technically you can gut-blow in a raptor, not exactly a weapon per se but the better drivers sure got them some points that way :D

Maybe a small auto-cannon for the driver? Similar in RoF and damage to the UT assault rifle? It does rather suck that drivers can't actually shoot anything. But then again, the driver of the 3-man "jeep" in UT doesn't shoot either so...

If nothing else, I guess at least being able to button-switch between seats will help...