The 1911 Project

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
Neva-Die!
I know we should let this die, but I absolutely hate statements like:
NavySupra said:
the .45acp was ment to STOP a man, which would knock them out of a fight.
the only way to "knock them out of the fight" is to kill them.

anyone with half a brain, and a search engine, knows that the 9x19 is designed to go all the way thru a target to create the largest permanent cavity possible. the impact of a bullet cannot knock a person over, or impede their movement in any way so, to design a bullet that stops *inside* the target (with the intention of imparting 100% of the bullets energy into the target) would be stupid.

a .45 caliber round that penetrates all the way thru a person is, hands down, more effective then an identical round that goes halfway.

Conglomera

Proud Toilet Cleaner
Sep 7, 2001
Algiers, Algeria
Lt. said:
Neva-Die!
I know we should let this die, but I absolutely hate statements like:
the only way to "knock them out of the fight" is to kill them.

anyone with half a brain, and a search engine, knows that the 9x19 is designed to go all the way thru a target to create the largest permanent cavity possible. the impact of a bullet cannot knock a person over, or impede their movement in any way so, to design a bullet that stops *inside* the target (with the intention of imparting 100% of the bullets energy into the target) would be stupid.

a .45 caliber round that penetrates all the way thru a person is, hands down, more effective then an identical round that goes halfway.

I disagree...
I'm not a ballistician, so I won't go on further explanations, but you may ask someone else to tell you why your statement is uncorrect.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Lasersailor184 said:
Depends on the type of armor. Stuff like the very new spider web protein will stop any bullet, but it won't stop it dead. It'll give a lot. So they put a metal plate behind it.

Correction, it'll stop most *small-arms* bullets. Large-caliber autocannon and/or Gatling Gun rounds will easily shred it.

Lasersailor184

The_Punisher
Aug 21, 2000
USA, and damn proud
I was talking about 1 bullet. Any more then 1 bullet on any armor and all bets are out the window. Plus the spider web protein isn't used by itself. With a metal backing it will stop everything.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
You buy the vest,I'll shoot a hole in it, with a .30 caliber bullet. 7.62X51 NATO to be precicise.

If there are'nt any rigid plates, I'll do it with a handgun.

body armor is intended to stop the 90% of the stuff out there. The remaining 10% of potential loads is too small a number to worry about. But it exists.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Lasersailor184 said:
I was talking about 1 bullet. Any more then 1 bullet on any armor and all bets are out the window. Plus the spider web protein isn't used by itself. With a metal backing it will stop everything.

Again, it'll only stop *small arms* rounds; there's no way it could possibly resist an autocannon round or a cannon-caliber Gatling round.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
No but 12.7x99mm AP (perhaps with some DU for extra fun) rounds aren't completely out of the question, and if this vest can stop that I'm going to have to say something is serously fubar.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
5.7X28MM anyone? 7.62X51MMM S.L.A.P.? Maybe some nice .30-06 handloads using a saboted, lathe turned monolithic solid projectile atop an insane amount of Bullseye?

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Plus the spider web protein isn't used by itself. With a metal backing it will stop everything.

Not a metal...composite! Borum Carbonate (sorry, I´m guessing the name in english, maybe it´s incorrect) is already being used as balistic plate in the newest military vests! Combining Spyder Web Protein w/ BC and you will get the ubber vest! And SWP gives good pretection against melee weapons even!
But I always say: "all measure has it´s counter-measure", therefore, there will be more extreme AP rounds to pass through this new vest..{=(

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
That´s it! So it´s boron carbide plate the correct name... I´ve been using this model of futuristic vest (SWP+BCP) in my cyberpunk RPG scenario for over 7 years... it´s good to know my guess was right (CB is used in AH-64 Apache armor, so I foresaw it could be fit to a personnal military/enforcement vest...) {=)P