Text-to-speech

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

wrecklass

Feb 5, 2004
I installed the Microsoft Speech SDK, but now whenever I log into Teamspeak my mates can't hear me. Does anybody know if there is a way to make Teamspeak work after the MS Speech SDK has been installed? :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
you have to disable Windows Speech Services, unless it's on a different sound card.

wrecklass

Feb 5, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
you have to disable Windows Speech Services, unless it's on a different sound card.
How do you go about doing that? I checked the Speech Control Panel, and didn't see any way to disable it. I looked in Windows Services, and didn't see anything there about Windows Speech Services either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
if you are in Windows XP, you should have the Lanugage Bar in your taskbar after installing the SDK. Just click on the Microphone to make sure that it is not clicked down. If it isn't (it doesn't seem to be by default) try checking the sound setting in teamspeak. You might also need to change your mic volume or something.

wrecklass

Feb 5, 2004
Apparently I'm talking about something different. I have installed Speech SDK 5.1 for Windows® applications on my Windows XP computer. There is no "Language Bar" on my Taskbar, the ctfmon.exe utility is not running, and it is not in my startup apps according to MSCONFIG. So using either of those suggestions to disable the Windows Speech system doesn't seem to be an option for me.

Any other ideas on how to get TS to work with the Speech engine? I can just uninstall the Speech SDK 5.1 for Windows® software again, but I rather like using it in the UT2K4 Demo. ;)

[DecoY]

Phat out of hell
Nov 6, 2001
MIA: please find me
actually, I've discovered something...
The team to first start building a powernode, usually has the best chance to win...
But the bots are stupid... They take the vehicles to the nodes, but don't get out!!

wrecklass

Feb 5, 2004
[DecoY] said:
actually, I've discovered something...
The team to first start building a powernode, usually has the best chance to win...
But the bots are stupid... They take the vehicles to the nodes, but don't get out!!
Maybe it's the level you play the bots at. I find they take the nodes very quickly. In fact, they put up a generally good fight, but don't defend very well.

I have also discovered that Blue team has a slight advantage. The middle power node is easier to get to from the Blue base, and the first one there often wins the fight.

sartoph

Feb 22, 2004
I tried this out yesterday on a lan with a couple of friends, it works pretty well excpet for (unless im doing something wrong), the person running the server seems to be the only one that can give bots commands, it's probably not a good idea that anyone can give bots commands cause you'd have everyone shouting orders at them but the person running the server should be able to specify others that can give bots commands imo but thats probably a wishlist kinda thing.... also the person running that server can't talk to any other human players and the human players can't talk to the person running the server but the human players that join the server can talk to each other. If anyone knows a way around these issues, let me know, if not thats cool... maybe it's still being worked on for the full release.

/edit: should also point out that when we had the server trying to talk to the other human players on the server and vice versa, we did try doing it via all the options available e.g. public, local, team etc and none worked.

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Welcome to BuF™, sartoph!

If you have a spare computer floating around, try setting that one up as a dedicated server; that may fix the problems you are having with voice.

If you don't have a spare computer, run a dedicated server on the computer you have with the fastest CPU and most RAM, and then start another copy of UT and have it connect to the server running on that same computer.

[Game-play on a dedicated server (even when using 2 separate instances of UT on the same computer) acts somewhat differently than playing on the same computer as a listen (non-dedicated) server.]

Thrawn70

Hang-around
Jun 11, 2002
Unknown Regions
Visit site
Hyrulian Hero said:
If you don't have a spare computer, run a dedicated server on the computer you have with the fastest CPU and most RAM, and then start another copy of UT and have it connect to the server running on that same computer.

[Game-play on a dedicated server (even when using 2 separate instances of UT on the same computer) acts somewhat differently than playing on the same computer as a listen (non-dedicated) server.]

I've never heard of that before. Is it really any more effective overall as a server? Or does the player who is volunteering his computer just get screwed out of massive amounts of CPU clockcycles?

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
If the computer has lots of RAM and is reasonably fast, it shouldn't reduce performance that much. I was just suggesting this as a possibility that it may help the voice chat work on everyone's system, although the reduction in performance might not be worth it.

sartoph

Feb 22, 2004
thanks for the feedback, i have got a spare box that it could be run on. i guess it's a toss up between being able to give you're bots voice commands and talking to other human players, so i'd basically go with being able to talk to other human players when it comes to lan games. I could run a dedicated server on the same box that i'd be playing the game on but as mentioned it's difficult to say how much it'd lag the box, theres only one way to find out.... it's a P4 2.67Ghz processor which is fairly fast but having said that i hosted a 32 player onslaught match (though there seemed to only be 16 connected, maybe because it's the demo) and it was just myself and two other human player with all the rest bots on godlike and it lagged to hell and back (we still won the match though) :)

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Increase the server process priority to high. This will reduce the lag greatly and not effect performance much.

This whole text-to-speech thing reminds of the oringial Unreal on the Mac. It supported text-to-voice (though no speech recognition).

[DecoY]

Phat out of hell
Nov 6, 2001
MIA: please find me
wrecklass said:
Maybe it's the level you play the bots at. I find they take the nodes very quickly. In fact, they put up a generally good fight, but don't defend very well.

I have also discovered that Blue team has a slight advantage. The middle power node is easier to get to from the Blue base, and the first one there often wins the fight.

*cough*
novice
*cough*

I like to play novice bots :)
it's just to get my personal strategies right, and to have *some* teamplay without getting fragged all the time...

Burning Fish

My brain hurts!
Dec 30, 2003
Holland
www.burningfish.nl
Hehe, I FINALLY got it working. It's cool. You just have to speak very clear. The bots have callsigns next to their names (look on the scoreboard), that's the name you have to say to give them orders like: "Bravo, cover me!" And "Everyone suicide" is funny :D I'm gonna play and shout some more :)

Fozza

"Mature" student
May 18, 2004
Plymouth, UK
www.fozza.com
I've been fiddling with the speech options for a couple of days now. The main problem seems to be that sometimes the voice commands seems to lag behind my speech by 4 or 5 seconds.

Usually I can see this by holding down the mic key, speaking, continuing to hold the mic key for a few seconds, then I'll see the meter on the left reflect my voice command of a few seconds ago.

If I stop pressing the mic key before this happens, the voice command doesn't work.

So perhaps holding down the mic key until you see the bot reply makes it a bit more reliable?