UT2kX TD Warfare Realistic Vehicle Pack version 130 (23 Dec 2018) released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
TD Warfare Realistic Vehicle Pack [version 130, 23 Dec 2018]

Name: TD Warfare Vehicle Pack
Version: 130, 23 December 2018 (hmm.... been working on this pack for perhaps a few too many years..... like 13+ years...)
Compatibility: Compatible with standard UT2K4
Description: A HMMWV, IFAV Assault Jeep, Recon Motorcycle, Scout motorcycle (w/ Sidecar and machine gun), Main Battle Tank, Hound MI4 Helicopter, Blackhawk Helicopter, AH-6/MH-6 Helicopters, MH53 Helicopter, zodiac raft boat, Halo Warthog style jeep, Halo Falcon Copter, and the MEGA_TRUCK!!!.

HMMWV is armed with a Fifty cal. machine gun and can carry three additional passengers (for a total of 5, either good for assaults, or quite a death trap! ;) ). An alternate version ("HMMWV GL") is included which has a Mk19 Auto-Grenade Launcher for the turret instead.

Interim Fast Attack Vehicle (IFAV) is armed with an M240 machine gun and can carry a total of three players (similar speed to the scorpion).

Recon motorcycle is unarmed, but makes up for it in speed. The scout motorcycle is the same as the Recon but has a sidecar with machine gun.

MBT90 Tank has both its main cannon and coaxial machine gun for the driver and a top mounted Fifty cal M2 machine gun for a gunner. Two versions, "_tracked" version has an independent suspension (the tracks conform to the terrain)

Hound MI4 Helicopter (not pictured) can carry two passengers plus two Door Gunners armed with M240D machine guns.

MH-53 Helicopter can carry six passengers plus two Door Gunners armed with miniguns. It can also latch onto and lift/carry a ground vehicle below it (either via a "static" attach, or via a karma-physics joint, selectable in the mutator properties).

Raven Helicopter (based on the Blackhawk) has two door gunners (each with their own minigun) and side mounted missile launchers for use by the pilot ("dumb" rapid fire missile pod, and Air-to-Air seeking missiles)

AH-6 Helicopter has pilot controlled minigun and missile pod, while co-pilot controls a 25mm cannon.

ATV a small four-wheeled vehicle that can speedily transport the flag-carrier back home in VCTF

MH-6 Helicopter Unarmed helicopter used to rapidly transport assault teams across maps. The "Alt" version allows human players to fire their own weapons while riding on the side benches of the helicopter.

MEGA-Truck Extremely large ground vehicle based on the Halo Mammoth (in back of pic below). It has a main cannon, 4 passenger chaingun cannons. It can carry ground vehicles in its main bay ('Use' key on one wall console to tie them down), and repair them as well ('Use' key on the other wall console). There are weapon lockers on the truck along with health pack pickup points (red first aid packs). The bots can't drive it well at this point (hoping to fix that in the future), but players can run on top of it and through it while it is moving.

Misc vehicles and test vehicles I've included my own version of the Halo Warthog, Halo Falcon, a semi-truck with towable trailer, simple military truck, the helicopter from AS-HiSpeed, and a few other incomplete test vehicles ("combat sedan", Halo Elephant, Chinook Helicopter etc.)

Comments: I could not find too many realistic vehicles that did not come with a TC mod (requiring a huge download) so I made a few of my own. I designed them with VCTF in mind. They are somewhat lowpoly, so be warned :) Please leave feedback (especially regarding handling etc)

Screenshots:
All_TDW_vehicles_Rev2.jpg
Credits: Me (models, textures, some custom code), and some help on the BeyondUnreal coding forums. The copter control console texture was found on a website about Military Copters.
Download: ZIP format:https://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament-2004/addons/tdvehicles130-dec232018

Last edited:

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
The motorcycle have a problem for driving it, it uses the mouse to do so and it's quite buguy

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Hi Blade_Hunter, thanks for providing some feedback. I'll make the mouse steering optional in the next release. And motorcycle vehicles in general never seemed to work that realistically (without setting a super low, below ground level, Center of Gravity, or messing with the karma stay upright setting). Do you know of other motorcycle vehicles that behave reasonably well that I could model the physics performance of this on? (does the battlebike work well?)

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
Battle bikes works poorly IMO.
It's also unfinished; the only bikes who works fine are the one from chaos UT and the Command & Conquer pack (those are the only I got with battle bikes and your pack.
but the problem of driving with the mouse is the fact it doesn't even follow our view, I mean the wheel doesn't follow the aim
In an other hand using the direction buttons with a return to center and allowing with some bumps to adjust the direction could be fine.
And thanks for this vehicle pack :)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
New version 122 uploaded, see first post for download link. I updated the MBT90 Tank:
1. added new coaxial machine gun for the driver
2. updated the first person view to include a turret vs. tank body indicator and a tank heading indicator (looks similar to the BF3 tank view). See pic below.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Happy St. Patrick's day. New version posted (see first post for download link). Update features:
1. AH-6 Attack Helicopter and MH-6 troop transport version
2. 2nd HMMWV with Mk19 Auto-grenade launcher for the turret weapon
3. Bots will use the extra passenger seats in the vehicles and properly swap to either the driver position or an armed position when one becomes available
4. Machine Gun bullet hit effects are now material specific

Another change from the previous revision posted here is that the Tank now has an independent suspension (tracks conform to the terrain more or less).

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Thanks Median12! I've definitely had some fun working on the latest update.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Thanks dr. flay! I'm going to try and get one more update to this mod out (with some additional features for the Mega-Truck and some bug fixes) and then that will probably be all I ever do for this project. I've got a few one-off vehicle I might try to work on (maybe a "Halo Scarab" like vehicle but with an Axon theme) as standalone releases but otherwise I'm pretty time-constrained these days.

I've still been working on my YARM mod and intend on releasing an update this year. Once I convert all of the first person weapon models to the UT3 style setup, with the hands as a separate model/draw call on the screen so that I can use different hand models per character model, I'll be kicking that one out and maybe even make a smaller UT3 and UT99 version (since the models will already be available for import).

I'm glad to hear that you guys are still kicking around some options regarding Chaos on UE4. I really enjoyed the variety of content you had in the UT2004 version. I have to say, modding on the newer engines sure looks like it takes a lot more time.

Reactions: dr.flay

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I am gobsmacked at the Mega truck.
Words fail me, apart for to say "Everyone NEEDS to try this now !"

Funny I should have said, the 1 thing I don't like about the Chaos mod for 2004 is the way the bikes handle. LOL
Battle Bikes has it nailed as far as I'm concerned. I prefer to be able to look around while also being able to steer. It is more life-like.

Just wondering, are you aware of the standalone "Hortons" pack of vehicles from UnWheel ?
I use them a lot in real world maps. very handy to get around big maps fast.
I have converted a few UnWheel maps so they fit right in.

Still prefer the jeeps from the Mars Wars mod, and the way the engine sounds work (also nice dust effect from the wheels), but I can't complain about your jeeps on any count. Just a preference.

I have mixed the vehicles with the SAS mod in a few maps. Fits a treat with the few vehicles in that.
Lots of nice decorative vehicle meshes in that mod. shame they never turned them into working vehicles.
Tanks, Helicopters and Jets, all kinda wasted.

While playing with my usual mix including Air Power IV, 1 thing tends to stand out.
Some of the missiles in that mod give a very bright flash when they explode. This may be a personal preference, but it does seem to me more realistic that the area gets a lot brighter for a moment.
Perhaps you may want to compare the missiles in the newer helicopter in that mod. Try a night time map also.
It could show the difference in armour piercing or high-explosive for example.

The ATAT I figure won't get much attention, but I wonder if it may be worth while converting the animated ATAT from the "Troopers" mod. It is not used as a vehicle in the mod only a decoration in the background of Hoth, so not linked to any core parts of the mod, and totally wasted in a Star Wars mod (the irony).
Picture attached along side your model, both at normal scale.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/troopers-dawn-of-destiny
media

Attachments

• ATAT.jpg
    ATAT.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I tried the Mega truck in some maps with hills.
Ouch. I feel like a Dalek at the foot of the stairs.
It struggles with any slopes more than a slight gradient, and grinds to a halt.
The balance of power reduction needs a fix as I would assume the engine in this would not lose power so badly uphill.
A lot of my Onslaught and VCTF maps are realworld style with rolling hills, and I keep having to abandon the truck :(
(Yes I do make sure to shut the bay doors, hehe)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Hi dr.flay, I'm glad you have been putting the MT through its paces!

Yeah, the main problem I had with the Mega-Truck (aside from the size of it catching on all kinds of other staticmesh deco objects), was traversing hills. Since I wanted to keep the vehicle ramps into and out of the bay, I had to keep the overall belly a bit low. If I adjusted the suspense to have the vehicle ride a lot higher, I think it would work better, but then I'd have to figure out another way to handle the vehicle ramps and personnel access doors. I could use separate trace checks from the end of the ramps down to the ground to automatically adjust the ramp joint rotations (also then having to replicate that as well).... maybe in the next release some day.

The "getting stuck on terrain" was one reason I added the "boost vent" function (hit 'crouch' to activate it), kind of like the Manta, to try and extricate the truck from terrain (steer/backup/forward to get the boost to push in a specific direction). And yeah, I could never quite figure out how to get the 'engine' to give it a bit more oomph on the uphill. I'm probably missing some native code limitation regarding application of karma physics force to a vehicle mass that size. If you have any success with different parameters (e.g. work on a subclassed version) please let me know.

And yeah, the AT-AT would have been fun (and you are right, entirely too small) if I could figure out how to get the animation/inverse kinematic code working well for the legs. That's pretty much why I abandoned my "test version". I might give the Troopers:DoD model a shot if I ever get a scarab-like vehicle working.

I don't remember having ever tried Horton's pack or the Mars Wars jeep. Are there any working links out there for these?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Horton Vehicles is the UnWheel vehicles as a standalone mod.
https://en.ds-servers.com/gf/unreal-tournament-2004/modifications/other/horton-vehicles.html
You'll have to look at the Mars Wars mod to try the jeep (Add the folders to your main UT ini and you can summon them in the regular game.)
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mars-wars

The BTR-80A Puma Amphibious APC is another good fit with your mod. Can't find a working link.
Looks like I need to upload my collection at some point.
Winkyboys site is in the web archive, but people didn't pull many files through. That had a few nice real world vehicles.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I had some time this week and had been thinking about making an even larger vehicle... though this one can't really serve any useful purpose in UT2k4. I've got a test version of a bucket wheel excavator constructed, similar to the Bagger 288. The pic below shows it, along with the Mega-Truck and Leviathan for scale. I have the collision setup so that players can walk all over it, including the catwalks and beams of the upper structure & boom arm.

I still have a lot of modeling work and code to do. I'm trying to have it "excavate" terrain maps (using the 'Poketerrain' function in TerrainInfo) at least for stand-alone/offline games, and at least have the bucket wheel damage/destroy/toss vehicles in normal UT ONS & VCTF games.
BaggerExcavator_Test_1April2020.jpg