Sunspire Codex

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Claw

Weird little hermit on dried frog pills
Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Twrecks
(...) I should have rated Jerramie's DM-Alcatraz a thumb down (...)

Definitely, yes. Given two thumbs down is reserved for maps that are crap in virtually every aspcet, like uh... DM-Warzone][?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Originally posted by DavidM
the map didnt do it for me so much, but lowering the score cause of deleted brushes makes no sense.....thats c4rp
Originally posted by Ulukai

Yup, /me agrees. Technical shiznit shouldn't even come into a review unless it concerns framerate issues. The vast majority of UT players you see on the servers don't know and don't care what UED is anyway, much less whether the brushes have been deleted.

whoa never thought id hear ya guys go that route... (not sure if anyone is ever serious here tho :)) but im glad ya did...
if a map is a tech success thats cool, but making it break a review score if its not is kinda not cool...

i was always surprised that no mappers ever got together and did strictly technical reviews of maps...

jreister

heretic
Jan 14, 2000
nirvana
Visit site
2-9-02
Yeah sunspire rocks!

Who is selecting the maps for the countless reviews. There are quite a few average to good maps to be reviewed, but they prefer to write about maps, you know from a short glance at the screenies thy are $hitty

No fear Nalicity-you can be closed down still a half year, this site will not make you forget

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Originally posted by Mister_Prophet
[BNo rabid, what IS idiocy is a map like DM-Ghostmine getting NC hotlist. [/B]

Ya, we were scrapping the barrel that day and was meant to teach a noob reviewer a lesson. It was latter removed after it had served its purpose. I won't even mention some of my boo-boos.

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
is it an 8.5?
no, probably not. having had the map in my personal rotation for a few months now, and also having played it on nc's hotlist server a bunch of times, I guess it is something rounded up to seven.
but:
1) at a score of 7 it still would have made the hotlist, assuming there was a narrow choice of higher-rated maps.
2) I have not then seen, and I still don't now see the point in that 8-points barrier. doesn't make sense to me, and I don't care how people see it. it says in our review schema that we range from (0) 1-10. not 1 - 8, nor -3 - 7 as some seem to like it.
3) I take the liberty of squeezing in an extra half point or so for maps that at least try to be different.
4) right before posting what you quoted above was the first time I had been to Sunspire, so there prolly were some harsh feelz involved in posting that. interestingly, though, I remember very well that already two or three days later it dawned on me that sunspire does not matter, and that getting emotionally engaged over it was a waste of my time.

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
"being different" has nothing to do with sucking big-time.
there are things that suck big-time which are your regular assembly line product, just as there are things sucking big-time which "are different".
likewise you have maps not sucking big-time being "ye olde industrial mappe", and maps not sucking big-time being "different".
whether or not a map is "different" has no influence on whether or not it sucks big-time.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
lol @ hour

its so right
ppl usually use it as an excuse....but indeed different stuff is mostly crap

bathroom is different....scimitar is.....catherine is......
but nobody wants to play that c4rp

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by DavidM
lol @ hour

its so right
ppl usually use it as an excuse....but indeed different stuff is mostly crap

bathroom is different....scimitar is.....catherine is......
but nobody wants to play that c4rp

im sorry, but "different" maps, may or may not usually suck...but not because they try to be different. usually for completely different ;) reasons...
which is pretty much what rabid was trying to say. i think.

LXIXGTO

"Cruising At The Speed of Iron!"
Re: Sunspire Codex ...

Well, I just checked out the Sunspire Codex (S C)
map reviewing syte.
I must say that I don't really care for it.
(maybe I am just used to N C)
They really should have a field for users to voice their opinions
of the map. (a feature of N C which I really like)
And that "thumbs" review thing they use is not as descriptive as
the 1-10 scale which N C uses.
I just joined the N C message boards... a whole lot of
friendly and helpful people frequent there. :)
Given what I've seen on their boards, it is doubtful if S C can
ever match that. :p
Anxiously awaiting the release of the new Nali City!!

:biorifle:

:cool:

P.S. ... I have never liked Game Spy. :p

LXIXGTO

"Cruising At The Speed of Iron!"
Re: Sunspire Codex ...

Well, I went to the mapping question forum over at
Sunspire Codex and was met with a blank page. :(
There are some friendly and knowledgable people who frequent the N C boards that are more than willing to answer UT mapping questions. Thanx everyone!
In my opinion, Sunspire Complex has a long, long way to go to match the following that Nali City has. :D
(and I said so there too ... :p)
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/sunspire/topic.asp?fid=4077&tid=511994
It is always great to have more options but, I think that
Nali City will always have a leg up on them.
Unless they take forever to get the new syte up.
Wait, it has seemed like forever since Nali City was in full on mode. :(
Let's hope it is up and running soon. :D

:biorifle:

:cool:

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
LX... you're beating a very dead horse.

Your post in their forums... you didn't make any point whatsoever. With the two minutes it took you to type that you could have done something productive like picked up your room or massaged your mother's corns.

Leave them alone... they can go do their thing while we do ours. We'll be active soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.