Sunspire Codex

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
:tdown: :tdown:
I must admit PU is reaching.
The memory of NaliCity still hot on the minds of PUFers they introduce Sunspire Codex like the Review site from God.
Never a seeya later or bye from them on NC on the main page.
*poof* we (NC) simply did not exsist.
To make matters worse, the review of DM-Rumblepitt mocks at NC, a map made for MSUC! and scored in the vien of that day and not of today. Why not rereview Scimitar and Helleth?
Sorry for being bitter, but these guys need to open themselves up to some good ol'fashon flammin.
Ooohhhh... they have a Forum :hmm:
Well maybe I can make a suggestion for them for this:
:tup:

Scorpio911

Animal Muther
Aug 24, 2001
Weare, NH USA
fatalarts.unrealism.com
Yeah I couldn't believe they were tryin' to push that sh!t in our faces after they had just dropped NC. I mean come on, get over it PU, your hosting sucks, your hosted sites (with a few exceptions) suck, your updates are lame, so don't keep F'ing with NC just because it's THE Unreal community site and not you. Pathetic.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
They've even got a newest reviews list for Sunspire right at the top of PU! They are obviously trying as hard as they can to cushion the blow they did to themselves by dropping NC. I admit that the reviews at Sunspire are not bad, but it could never replace NC.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Sunspire is GameSpy's manufactured Nali City "replacement". Under any other circumstances I would have welcomed the presence of another good reviewing site in the community, in fact I have nothing against the site itself.

What sickens me is the way that GSI have conveniently swept Nali City under the proverbial rug and replaced it with a brand new and unproven site.

I can see Sunspire playing a large part in the "new" PlanetUnreal. Hell, it was founded by two of the "new" PU Forumers. In the end it doesn't matter what GSI try to put in Nali City's place, NC has IS the biggest UT mapping site on the planet, and it's success will undoubtedly continue on BU in the coming months and years.

JTRipper

Chimpus Maximus
Sep 12, 2001
Denial
www.planetunreal.com
I only read the 5 they p1mped in their forums. Then I saw that they're "the high-quality review alternative!". Eh, ok. Then I saw that "There's not three people more qualified to run a popular map/review site on the planet." Hmm. Then that "We thought that the community needed a high-quality site, and there just weren't any." Then the back-handed compliments in the forums... not exactly a class launch. I'll check back in a month. Maybe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
yah totaly agree

the words from Xortrus from sunspire(notice sunspire <> nalicity, both from unreal, both mean a city place kinda if you want to search it that far :) ) : "I emailed you to ask for advice on a new map site, well, we got offered hosting at PU" > pu themselfes looked for a new site to replace nc, the guy who runs it is been totaly brainwashed by gsi
from pu : ''Also of interest are the Sunspire Codex Forums, which will undoubtedly become very popular" yes reallllllly, the good old forumplanet.....

''and damn i loved those review now i want to download the maps''(sarcastic), hmm like how ? they dont have the files, and even if they have backups of NC, then they will never have the newest maps, so what are they trying ffs ?

blah @ GSI

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
First they get so $ driven as to make Pete leave, then ForumPlanet, they take away my e-mail, and now they try to put a Band-Aid on their snafus with a candy coated new site like several others that popped up in the last two years. I enjoyed being hosted by them but their sins seem to have piled up too far. I look forward to having both my sites over here.

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
PU turned down a hosting request from a reasonably talented mapper recently, saying they only want 'professional' content from now on.

Guess they'll be wearing out the DEL key while they clean up their FTP then... There's absolutely no reason to visit that site now (well, maybe the lovely Mapped)

BangOut

...smells like groin.
Nov 4, 2001
Right behind you...
neobkgnd.jpg

luquado

The cake is a PLOY!!
Feb 18, 2000
Astoria, NYC
www.luquado.com
well...

Well, I accepted Xortrus's invitation and had some beers, and to tell you the truth... they're nice folks. Seriously. And Nali Girl is a cutie ;)

Turns out Xortrus had applied to review for NC about a year ago under the nick "MacTheNife" but I didn't take him as he was too hard on maps and wrote really short reviews.

We talked for a while about their new site and goals, I encouraged them to move off of PU ASAP, but they seemed really starstuck with being #1 on the Unreal Top 100 today and believing the line of bull**** GSI is feeding them. He said (trying to quote from memory) "we're not trying to be the next Nali City, we're just trying to run our site and GameSpy keeps piling all this attention on us... we're not complaining tho."

X lives in Irving, about 20 minutes from me, so I'm sure I'll be getting to know him better and continuing my encouragement to move their site.

Either that, or I'll recruit them to be NC reviewers :D They have some good stuff.

Oh yeah. And I'm back. Got moved in OK down here.

luquado

The cake is a PLOY!!
Feb 18, 2000
Astoria, NYC
www.luquado.com
Originally posted by JTRipper
I think you're a reasonably good judge of character, but I'll let the site speak for itself. It will sooner or later anyway. Oh, and welcome back. ;)

Hehe, thanks.

Yes, I'm VERY curious as to how their site does. Just replied to an email from the man asking me what other suggestions I had, told him "Get off of PU, but if you're staying, tell them to stop putting your site in visitors' faces, it looks suspicious." We'll see.

NYGrrrl : Read that thread. Hmmm... very peculiar...

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I just read their about page.

Sarah and I were talking about the recent troubles that had befallen many review sites, namely UTBooty, Frag Facility and Nali City. You see, sites like those can't really judge maps honestly, since they live and die by their popularity.

It seemed dumb for us to be a map download site; the venerable Nali City will always reign supreme. Therefore, we decided that our reviews should be high-quality; that we should not use a numeric scoring system since criteria are so different for the various gametypes and mods, etc. It's no slam to sites that use the NC system or derivative thereof, but we think it's dumb.

Nali City cannot judge maps honestly, has a ****ty scoring system, and sacrifices review quality for multitudes of map downloads, and yet still managed to be their inspiration. I hate to knock these guys, but they gotta get rid of this sense of supremacy, or else they will end up just like they claimed the sites they listed did and sell out to site hits.

luquado

The cake is a PLOY!!
Feb 18, 2000
Astoria, NYC
www.luquado.com
Well, to a certain extent, D, that's true.

As a reviewer, I've felt hamstrung by our scoring system sometimes, y'know? Like, I helped WRITE it. I just get the impression they're trying to do something different than the cookie cutter "review scoring" system. And, for a time, there was ENORMOUS pressure on us to churn out lots of reviews, and our quality often suffered.

Now, though, er, lately, we slowed down and sacrificed daily visitors for quality. Much better that way :D So that statement is false for us now.

Seriously, guys, these people are really nice folks. Just leave them be. I, for one, willbe visiting a few times a week to check out their reviews; I like 'em. You're free not to, I guess, but I think they're refreshing.

Count me in as a supporter of their new site. The more opinions out there, the better. :p

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I know about pressure to churn out reviews, and I am also aware that some of Nali City's previous reviews were, well, crap. ;) But that was a year and a half ago!

Of what I've read so far, I'm impressed by what I see at that site so far. But they sound too sure that they will be the best review site that there is, has, and ever will be. Right now I'd call myself a supporter too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.