Stuck in Terraniux Underground

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pavedwave

Dec 7, 2008
Hi, just resuscitated my old copy of Unreal and want to finish the whole thing this time, but I think I've run into a bug and wonder if there's a patch, or maybe I've just done something wrong along the way.

Have killed off the mercenaries and the slith in the Terraniux Underground, so everything is quiet now, just walking and swimming around in the toxic waste, but that door down the short corridor will not open -- that would be my door to the button which is my ticket out of this level.

Is this a bug?? If I can't solve this I guess it's back to Half Life. Or a new computer that runs newer games :lol:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Never encountered this bug, not even without patching the game.

Try to use the "Viewclass scriptedpawn" command line for a number of times to see if there are any other monsters around, or simply ghost through the door.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
It could happen in coop if you handle it wrongly, dunno what exactly causes that, but I have seen it once in coop.....

pavedwave

Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for the tips- I went back a level, then blasted through the Underground from the start again, but this time I took out the mercenary after going through the doors at the top of the big elevator, but before jumping down to the toxic waste area. Before, I just ran into that room, grabbed some ammo and jumped down below leaving that mercenary alone-- wonder if he was just camping up there? I tried the scriptedpawn thing but it only showed those two guys up in the control room... Anyway I'm un-stuck!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The Viewclass Scriptedpawn command lets you see the monsters in the map. In this way you could have seen who Mercenaries have you missed (heh, I thought that you missed the one before the toxic lake :p).

Terraniux Underground is very linear. But the normal Terraniux is not, and the Mercenaries in it kick more ass than any normal Skaarj.

pavedwave

Dec 7, 2008
I ghosted around on the saved game and didn't find any creatures lingering. I think if that mercenary were still staying up on that platform it would have been one of those map-logic bugs that gets you stuck on a level, since you can't yourself get back up there?

Well I thought Terraniux was big, now I'm getting lost in ISV-KRAN :p

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It's really weird you missed that Mercenary though, because in my Unreal he forces you to fight him. Maybe one of the patches fix that.

For the ISV-Kran, make good use of the Toxin Suit, because you'll have to go over acid in some parts of the three maps.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The only annoying isv kran level is ISVdecks32. It can be a little confusing at first, I agree. And there's only one weapon.

I'm always relieved when I leave that map. (I mainly play coop sessions though)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I agree. Plus, ISV-Kran 3-2 is my least favourite map in the game... just generic and nothing new. Should have been combined with the previous map, as in the beta.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Vortex Rikers was something spooky. The Kran had almost no atmosphere, except the first Deck.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Vortex Rikers wasn't spooky for me, as there is no combat there. And I knew there was no combat there when I played it first - obviously you can't fight if you don't have a weapon :D

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Vortex Rikers wasn't spooky for me, as there is no combat there. And I knew there was no combat there when I played it first - obviously you can't fight if you don't have a weapon :D
Come on! :)

You don't have a weapon and then there is that moment when you hear the screaming behind the door, much mayhem and then the door starts to open...

That was real shiver down the spine stuff.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

Sorry but :lol:

If you already knew there was no combat then you missed one of the best parts of Unreal - I played it without knowing anything and the experience was infinitely better than yours.
You don't need combat to make something spooky. It's actually the opposite. Logic!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The weird lighting in ISV-Kran didn't help to fix how fail was its atmosphere in the first two maps. Bright and lots of colours. It was just a (boring) Skaarj slaughterfest, nothing else.

Would have been cool if the Pupae really appeared out of nowhere and if the music doesn't make you realize about the presence of Skaarj waves.

The only exception is ISV-Deck 1 - has the best music of all the three, the Bloblets, nice set of battles, the beginning with all the Skaarj and the observatory room where you're ambushed. Since it was made after ISV-Kran-4-3-2, Myscha had more knowledge about doing something better :p

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Come on! :)

You don't have a weapon and then there is that moment when you hear the screaming behind the door, much mayhem and then the door starts to open...

That was real shiver down the spine stuff.

Well, I completely missed that part because I was just confused about how the hell do I get out of that small chamber so I didn't listen to what's happening. And after the door opened, well, it was all over. Though then I got the DP and that started to be more spooky as once you've got a weapon, you can expect fights. And those logs were pretty cool too. Though the most spooky thing there was that guy on the chair near the Kevlar Suit - he moves if you touch him. I was like OMFG he moved!!11 Then again, the first time I played Unreal was one year ago, so...

the Bloblets
Argggh! I have to quote Danny Miller from Unreal II:
Danny Miller said:
No! Leave me alone! Stay away! Get back!

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The weird lighting in ISV-Kran didn't help to fix how fail was its atmosphere in the first two maps. Bright and lots of colours. It was just a (boring) Skaarj slaughterfest, nothing else.

Would have been cool if the Pupae really appeared out of nowhere and if the music doesn't make you realize about the presence of Skaarj waves.

The only exception is ISV-Deck 1 - has the best music of all the three, the Bloblets, nice set of battles, the beginning with all the Skaarj and the observatory room where you're ambushed. Since it was made after ISV-Kran-4-3-2, Myscha had more knowledge about doing something better :p

I don't hate the first krans, that much, in the first map the fight was pretty atmospheric, without music there wouldn't be a bit of adrenaline in there, it's not about the scaryness there, as for the deck1 I hated the seemingly infinite waves of skaarj in the beginning, forces you to run through it at your first playthroughs. Which was different from the previous Krans.

I still prefer the original krans over the 7B ones, even if they were made scarier, they were just using the method of triggering loud sounds which make you jump, it gets old after while, but still except for the intro cutscene which was really crap, it was better than the rest of the pack....

Vortex was always the most atmospheric, you can hear even some other sounds if you stay at area for longer time, such as the security team to sector..etc sounds, though too bad there is unused the forcefield activated and deactivated sound, I remember in the beta I played back in 98, there was acgtual forcefield, it was down in the prisoner rooms, there where is in final version the lift leading down to the electric chair room, but the wall wasn't closed like in final, instead there was this forcefield and behind it monitors and stuff, I think even living humans, I didn't discover there was this lift, so maybe after you electriocute that guy and do something down there, the forcefield goes down?
In the avaiable beta there are also used the access denied and permitted sounds....but not the forcefield ones as the door is closed permanently in the area where it originally is..

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Boring skaarj slaughter fest ? How on earth can something great such as slaughtering skaarj be labeled as boring? You're quite silly, Uberserker ;-)

The ISV maps are real thight, and skaarj come at you from different directions. Sure, if you've played the maps a few dozen (or in my case hundred pfff...) times, you know how to anticipate their attacks but....still...it never gets old. I mean, especially on maps 1 and 3. Like I've said, I'm not a huge fan of map 2. There are a few good moments (such as the skaarj attack when you grab the flak, the lower levels of the kran, and the skaarjtroopers checking out the action) though.

But my favourite map is skytown. It's such a great playground. Done fighthing the monsters? Well, why not slide around the city for a bit. Fool around on the rooftops, spawn an army of krall in the streets below and finish them off with the power of the almighty shock combo etc. ;-) you get the idea.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeah, Sky Town and the Sunspire are my favourites in terms of graphics. Sky Town is a lot more relaxing though (only a few Pupae!).
Oh, and Sky Town's texture package is the largest in the whole Unreal :D