spidermines

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CountBloody

The Undead Spider Whore
Aug 13, 2004
I think the Spidermines sticking to walls & ceilings would be cool, & also I like the deploy time idea too. But maybe Epic could make the deploy time as a mutator. So that players that like the spidermines as is, can play that way(with mutator off) & other servers can use the deploy time mutator. Just a thought.

Plus I tought of another idea(maybe players may like). Is that when a player uses the Avril, they can not only lock on to just Vehicles. They also can lock on to spidermines, & whwn a player clicks the Avril's alt-fire(to me the Avril's alt-fire was somewhat abit hard to use). The Avril fires a rocket & when it's over head of the spidermines it blows up an take out 4 spidermines. Even if the mines are from the same player or not, & also about 10-12 feet in front of a player.

The Arvil's ammo limit can also be higher, say 20-26.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
That would possibly act as a huge distraction when you're trying to target a fast-moving vehicle close to the mines, especially if there's many of them.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
CountBloody said:
Plus I tought of another idea(maybe players may like). Is that when a player uses the Avril, they can not only lock on to just Vehicles. They also can lock on to spidermines, & whwn a player clicks the Avril's alt-fire(to me the Avril's alt-fire was somewhat abit hard to use). The Avril fires a rocket & when it's over head of the spidermines it blows up an take out 4 spidermines. Even if the mines are from the same player or not, & also about 10-12 feet in front of a player.

yeah i with that theyd fix the avril alt fire...it behaves like a built in aimbot attached to a hitscan weapon and is utterly useless in laggy situations... like how difficult can putting something in to the effect of 'as long as i hold down alt fire and as long as i have a line of sight, continue homing the rocket'

anyway, i wish that avrils see players spidermines like they see the spma's eye thing... like, you lock onto a spidermine from a distance , and the avril rocket starts going towards it, and all the time its scanning for the originator of the spidermines, maybe like the spidermines are under remote control from the mine launcher (or canister gun), and once it has a direct line of sight to the source of the radio control of the spidermines, it would start homing into it... so maybe if you drop the gun then you'll be safe (and all your mines will auto destruct now that they dont have an owner), but as long as someone has their avril alt-fired onto one of your mines , then there will be an avril rocket on its way towards your mine launcher...

imagine, you see someone spamming mines all over the place, hes running around popping mines at you and your teammates... step back, whip out the avril, lock onto one of his mines, and smack him down with avrils for as long as he's within sight of one of his mines... or something

Last edited:

CountBloody

The Undead Spider Whore
Aug 13, 2004
Majik- said:
That would possibly act as a huge distraction when you're trying to target a fast-moving vehicle close to the mines, especially if there's many of them.

The two lock ons can be different colours. For vehicles the lock on(crosshire) is like how it is now, a green lock on(crosshire). But for spidermines it changes say to a yellow lock on(crosshire). That way players can deside if they want to take out the vehicle or the mines.

Last edited:

Arsenalvendetta

.: Death do us Apart :.
Apr 2, 2005
overkill63 said:
what are you guys kidding me? spidermines are great!they offer all kinds of tactics to gameplay.

I agree with Overkill. Provided you leave them at a power node, you have some form of reliable security that no one will take down that power node at close range. Sure, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I think it was an excellent move by Epic by introducing explosive spidermines. Hey, at least its better then them spiders in Unreal 2. You should read my "Envy from a NewbiE" thread about stocking them up in a vehicle.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the compliment israphael.

As I said - i do loathe spidermines - but don't think they should be removed.

I don't use them much because I play a very aggressive game (usually) of onslaught - so I tend to die before the mines could be put to any use.

I've got no objection to taking on 1-2 players with spiders. That's all good fun. But taking on 4 opponents with spiders is very difficult.

As is said, if you have experienced teammates, they will take out the spiders with tank shells\hellbender (the cicada also clears spiders in no time at all.)

Timed deployment though - that is a great idea- when you are deploying spiders - you make yourself vulnerable for 10-15 seconds - so then they can only be really used from a distance (so fairly easy to counter) - or as propper defence- (I do sometimes use them when in a turret, putting them in the turret's blind spots - e.g. behind the back wall of the first node in dria - if I choose to defend rather than attack.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah, good ingredient for flamewars, especially when its been designed so that only half of the community can enjoy using it

i love using spiders, but i hate it when people use it on me, which makes me hate using it on other people too , because then i have a reason to be drawn into flamewars etc etc etc which i dont want....
putting a deploy time on the spiders i think is a good idea, it stops them from giving you (and your enemies) easy frags , and it forces it to be defensive (and a real laugh when someone actually gets killed by one) , and by forcing it to be defensive it changes from a spammy weapon to a defensive weapon... like how the engineer turrets in team fortress gets used

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I liek teh sound of the "deploy time" feature.

I'd also liekto see the spidermines deployable on walls and cielings anbe able to crawl on them, not noly that but i'd like to see them dodge and pounce. Nothing more terrifying than jumping spiders. Iwant them to be easy to see so you can shot at them but capable of avoiding getting shot to make it fair. i also want them to be hard to see before you get to them.
Maybe the "deploy time" could be them burying themselves in the surface they were laid? The only part visible is that little antenae with the light on.