SpeechPad v0.40

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Well, talk about a quick fix, SpeechPad v0.41 is here! It now has a fix for the transparent HUD problem in Inf 2.9 - just set bOpaqueHUD=True in SpeechPad.ini and there you go. I probably won't be able to do this in the next version, due to the way it works, but I'll make a separate mutator fir it when the time comes. Download here, and enjoy :).

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Well, when I used SpeechPad v0.41 the guys last night said the HUD was all messed up. Also, when I had the .u and .int files in the system directory, UTCompass would not show up in the Mutators list in the WebAdmin. Once I removed the .u, .int and .ini files from the system directory UTCompass showed up in the Mutators list and the server started to run correctly.

Steps I took:
Put .u, .int and .ini files into the UT/System directory.
put in ServerPackages=SpeechPad_041 in the Inf.ini
Loaded SpeechPad in to the Mutators List in WebAdmin.

Anything I do incorrectly or forgot to do above?

Running these mutators: ReportDirection, Inf No Scopes, In No Acogs, and UT Compass.

Thanks!

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Well, I went and re-set it up again and got it working. Not sure what I did before incorrect but I am sure it was a typeo or missed copied file.

Anyway. When it is added as a Mutator I get a Black box over my weapon HUD and some kind of black shadow around my heatlh HUD.

The only thing that worked was going left and going right (button number 4 & 5). Also, there was no "voice" just text. The other buttons did not do anything (at least that I could tell). Perhaps I need to set it up or something but I thought there would be defaults to the buttons.

For a bit button 4 and 5 did nothing, that is until I turned off Num-Lock. So I also assume that Num-Lock must be off for SpeechPad to work.

Comments Crowze?

Thanks!

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I'd advise playing with NumLock on, seeing as though with it off, 5 doesn't do anything ;).

About the HUD - there's an option in SpeechPad.ini called bOpaqueHUD. Set this to True is you want to be able to see the HUD easier, but get black boxes around some of it, or to False to have a normal HUD. I was certain I set the default to False... besides, I've (well, Rasalom did) come up with a better way for seeing the HUD, which you will see in the soon-to-be-released v0.42.

Only 4 and 5 worked? Are you sure you've set up your keybinds right? I don't follow when you say no voice - I believe the default RD binds don't have vioce, because of the voicepack changes (but I know how to get around that now).

EDIT: OK, SpeechPad v0.42 is finished, get it here. Much better way of getting around the HUD problem, thanks to Rasalom (although I've not documented it very well). I'll be splitting this into 2 mutators for the next version - the HUD replacement part which will deal with the colours only, and the main SpeechPad bit, which will be a HUD add-on.

Last edited:

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Well, I did no changes to the ini file at all but I did see that the OpaqueHUD was set to true.

As for button 4 and 5. If I had NumLock ON they would not work so your suggestion has me a bit confused. Since if I run NumLock On, 4 and 5 will stop working. I saw in your readme.txt to copy a section for weapon configuration but I did not do that (yet). I just assumed that I would not have weapon control. However, from your statement, "Are you sure you've set up your keybinds right"?, I guess there is a lot more that I have to setup.

So at this point I am thinking I have no clue what I am doing with SpeechPad. But I will wait until you have v0.42 with the HUD Black Box fix (and voice fixes?).

Thanks for your reply and coding!

ODIE3

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
From the readme:
Next, you need to bind the keys. You can do this one of two ways:
The best way is through the advanced preferences. Open the quick console and enter preferences, then expand Advanced, then Raw Key Bindings. Scroll to the keys you want to bind SpeechPad to e.g. NumPadX (X=0..9). Simply change those to read NumPadX=SP_Key X - these keys are for accessing the menu items you see on the HUD. Next, go to the key you want to bind as reset e.g. NumPadPeriod, and change this to NumPadPeriod=SP_key reset - hitting this key will take you back to the root menu.
Alternatively, if you really wanted to, you could edit your User.ini file, and edit the lines given above.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Okay, I miss-read that part of the setup - I guess.

So, I am testing this Speech Pad. When I down load SpeechPad from the server I get a Not Configured Screen and their is no SpeechPad ini file in the UT/Sytem Directory. Does this not get created/download when connecting to the server? Or does the user have to get the ini file from your zip file.

Thanks

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Okay, copied the speechpad.ini from your zip to my system directory and setup the keyboard stuff (SP_Key X). I now get it, I believe I can learn very fast to like this little mutator!

Still wondering about users that do not have SpeechPad and they get a down load from GD Server, what will they do for a speechpad.ini file?

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
They won't. If they don't, a little message will show up telling them they haven't, and how to sort it out (i.e. look here) - this message also now tells how to disable it ;).

EDIT: Should read both your posts. I don't beleve there's any way of replicating a default ini file if there isn't one already one. I could put a sample setup in the defaultproperties, but it's a messy way of doing it (having to edit that each time I update it).

Last edited:

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Crowze said:
They won't. If they don't, a little message will show up telling them they haven't, and how to sort it out (i.e. look here) - this message also now tells how to disable it ;).

EDIT: Should read both your posts. I don't beleve there's any way of replicating a default ini file if there isn't one already one. I could put a sample setup in the defaultproperties, but it's a messy way of doing it (having to edit that each time I update it).

Hmmm, I believe the UTCompass makes a UTCompass.ini file (you know Olethros Mutator). I do not recall placing one in my UT/System but it is there.

BTW: Sorry to be bugging u so much about your Mutator. As one of the Server Admins I just want to understand your mutator as much as possiable. Sometimes I can be very much a dumb-A**

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Yep, SpeechPad does the same, it's just I don't have a default menu set up in the defaultproperties. Since the way it works is going to change drastically, I think I'll leave it as it is for the moment. Also, something to note (again I thought I had this fixed) is that even if SpeechPad isn't configured, the HUD colour changing is still enabled by default.

No problem, more feedback is always good.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Is there a way to change a value in the ini from the console similar to the set input <key> for binds? I have this really goofy idea.

Don't waste your time on it though. Probably not worth the effort. Just wondering.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Crowze said:
Yep, SpeechPad does the same, it's just I don't have a default menu set up in the defaultproperties. Since the way it works is going to change drastically, I think I'll leave it as it is for the moment. Also, something to note (again I thought I had this fixed) is that even if SpeechPad isn't configured, the HUD colour changing is still enabled by default.

No problem, more feedback is always good.

Hmmm, Changing? Change is good (at least I keep telling myself that). How soon might this happen? I ask because if I roll out SpeechPad on the GD server I hate to have everyone reset their Pad up.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Thats what I thought and fully understand.

Really goofy idea is this.

you can use exec command.txt to run a txt file from your system file to run a series of commands as if you typed thme in the console. I use it to get back my own binds if I change them in game and for a few otehr reasons. Nothing more than a set of set input commands.

Anyways I was thinking of map specfic messages. So Mostar starts up I load in the commands for Mostar. Then I could use specific features of the map as part of the commands. I could use Speechapd to refrence the middle bridge, far easter (or is that western bridge) sewer, the little tunnel etc.

Then when I new map comes up I just load an other set for that map.

Yes it is a nutty idea and I really don't think its worth the effort.

BTW your program is great. I just need to finish configuring mine

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Ben, that's a really neat idea, and doesn't have to be done by SpeechPad at all. A little mutator could easily run a text file named Mapname.exec to set up your keys or whatever you want setting for that particular map. Of course, I'd have to add an exec command in SpeechPad to handle this as well, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Odie, basically I'll be rewriting the whole thing from scratch - there's a lot of things in this version that I know how to do more efficiently and clearly, but the main change will be complete compatibility with any other mutator. So, as you may imagine, it'll be a while.

EDIT: Actually, Odie, I may bring out 0.43 within a day or two, just to do what Ben wants and set a default pad configuration so you can use it straight off. Before I do that, though, is there anything I should add to the current default layout? Any extra commands you'd like to see?

Last edited: