SpeechPad v0.40

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Crowze said:
Ben, that's a really neat idea, and doesn't have to be done by SpeechPad at all. A little mutator could easily run a text file named Mapname.exec to set up your keys or whatever you want setting for that particular map. Of course, I'd have to add an exec command in SpeechPad to handle this as well, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Odie, basically I'll be rewriting the whole thing from scratch - there's a lot of things in this version that I know how to do more efficiently and clearly, but the main change will be complete compatibility with any other mutator. So, as you may imagine, it'll be a while.

Bens idea is really GREAT, I like it. However, I do not like the idea of a different Mutator to do the work of the switching. Having the map change inbedded into SpeechPad makes for since for a end user.

Hmm, if we are looking at weeks for the new version then I'll leave SpeechPad enabled on GD Server (it's on now for my testing). However, I hope that your new version will create a default speechpad.ini.

EDIT
Darn IT you posted while I was posting.... Goes off to think about defaults Ben too I hope since he know SpeechPad better....

Last edited:

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Naw, I think what you have in there is a nice start and will give users a good "idea" what SpeechPad can do.

Oh, make sure the HUD stuff = false so you do not get Black HUD boxes (unless it will be corrected in 43).

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
So the general opion is that I really am not nuts. Well not too nuts anyways.

Anyways is there someway to have a mutator know the name of the map? What I was thinking that in the ini you could have

wait,wait hold on thinking...... thinking........

got it. whew that was close

What if you only used he main ini file, no text files, but have sections for the maps. One for Mostar, one for Iraq. Now only some of the stuff would change form map to map. Most would be the same. So in the main section you have everything that would you normally have. In each map section you only put what has changed.

At the top of the ini could put something like if this map use this section. If no map use defaults. Also be sure to have a setting to turn this feature off. Call it advance something or other.

Would this method be possible. Easier?

Anyways my head hurts. Time for food.

PS My previous idea that I thought was goofy has an added benifit. On mpas such as Iraq there are different objectives for the attackers. By using map specific communications it would be easier to communicate the status of the object and where you are in relation.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Ben (or anyone for that matter), could you give me an overview of how to use exec files? Basically, where to put them and what to put in them :).

EDIT: As for your suggestion on having different sections in the ini file... it should be possible, but I'll be looking into it during or after getting v0.50 out.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
http://frenchfragfactory.net/ressources/utconfig/utaliases.shtml near the bottom at "(re)Load your config file from inside UT"

Bascily: Create a file with a txt extension. my_commands.txt
In that file type the commands you wish to execute. These can be anything that you can type in the console. Typically I have something like this:

set input a Teamsay Don't shoot me
set input b Sorry about that
set input c mutate ReportContact
etc

Save the file of course.

Now when I wish to change my binds I can open the console and type "exec my_commands.txt" This will execute all the commands in the file. Or I could bind that command to a key.

I have no idea how to do this in uscript though. Someone smarter than me will have to help there.

Hope that helps.

oops: Forgot. By default they go in the system folder but you can put them somewhere else. You would just need to use "exec somewhere else\my_commands.txt" Not 100% sure of that syntax. I'll check it in a bit with a quick test.

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Here we go: SpeechPad v0.43.
It's not a great update really, just got the in-game running of exec scripts and modification of the SpeechPad menus and colours. The defaults seemed to work fine, all except the colours, which would set to 0 and so by default it wouldn't show up at all. I also know about the ShowObjectives menu problem - should be fixed with 0.5.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Just been messing about with the SpeechPad and I think it is a gem. Also those additions (map specific) things Ben been talking about would sertainly add to the usability of this little mutie. I love the idea.
One question, if I wanted to make a command that says something on the teamsay channel, what is the syntax for that? (didn't come clear from the readme, I know I could look it up somewhere else). For instance "say Howdy" would use the channel all hears, how would I do the same on team channel?

//Kee

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
Nice work. Very nice. I have got a lot of work to get things configed. Start working on over head screen shots.

Now a question. This has been discussed before and I believe this is the time to try it. The map mutator. Hit a key and an over head map pops up. Labeled. I know this can be done since Theivery does it. How hard? I think this would help new people with the maps.

Anyways just repeating an old idea as crazy as it sounds.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I'll get you some over heads. Just let me know size. I'll do a couple for testing then I will do a couple with some usefull info.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
Okay, so from the Readme.txt you say that the F3 Menu can not be seen? That is not good! I look at that menu a lot.

Did you get the default speechpad.ini to be created when first downloaded?

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
hi just wanted to add that the F3 doesnt work in the GD server. i connected and dled sp from the server.
ghost said you knew of it but that i should post about it here.

anyway, good luck with it crowze.

{GD}Odie3

You Give Odie a Boner
Nov 19, 2001
Austin Texas
ghostdogs.net
(SDS)benmcl said:
As a temp fix can that be bound to another key?

No it does not work, I just tried it. This is a shame, since I believe I will have to drop SpeechPad. Already having players post in my Server Thread about Show Objectives not working.

I did not notice it last night, since the maps I played I know what I am doing. However for those poor players that do not know I feel it is important to have the information.

EDIT:
Knowing what I am doing only means I know what the Objectives are.... However that does not save me from getting my ass from getting owned. :lol:

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
No, I didn't have a default configuration made because it refused to set the colours, so it didn't show up at all. No idea why the F3 thing doesn't work, but it definitely will when I change it from a HUD replacement to a HUD add-on mutator.