Slowly, but surely

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
lookin' good, jaymian... lookin' real good... hey, you liked the way of the gun? awesome, one of the few people who have actually seen it... :D loved that movie, dude...

incidentally, and somewhat off-topic, i finally got to play dm-inf-domination on 2.86... and it's...
AWESOME!!!
:tup:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
oh it just occurred to me-
there was an earthquake, there's loads of destrcution but inside the buildings everything seems to be nicely arranged... maybe it'd be better if stuff like chairs and tables were turned over, drawers open or out...

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
ah...

Good call reaper. This is why I post pics. Hopefully people will see my shortcomings that I miss. I'll definately need to do that. I can't go crazy though, she's around 400 poly already. I need to think of inovative ways to block polies that look natural. Not always that easy. Thanks,
Jaymian

Khutan

Always in a vicious circle....
Jul 25, 2001
Merseyside, UK
www.planetunreal.com
Looking good jay ;) I agree with reaper though, how about if part of one of the ceilings had fell through (maybe the one above the dining table, with all the rubble having smashed the table?) and how about some broken water pipes ('cause they usually break in an earthquake don't they?), maybe the basement could be knee deep in water? well, just some ideas for you (I've never made a map, so I don't know how practical they are ;))

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Gotta love bsp

Some more shots people. I have yet to have a build without bsp errors, but I drive on. Here's some more pics for you guys. I'd say except for the 500 or so poly count, I'm about done. So all I really need to do is, cover up polies, fix bsp, and figure out AS. I'm happy with this beast(remind me to make small maps only:)).

afta12.jpg

afta13.jpg

afta14.jpg

I've got some lame speciel effects, like light switches, shooting doors open, and earthquake effects(wow). Well, actually, not very special. But I'll be damn happy when I'm done with this fatty.

Jaymian

arsenicpants

Damn proud of his AMC Gremlin
Jul 15, 2000
Visit site
one thing that really strikes me about this map, is the fact that the earthquake is so powerfull that it can tear an entire wall off a building, but i can't open a few desk drawers, or knock over a few cars

like that car that's up on the hoist, it would probably be crumpled on the floor after an earthquake like that
and all those neat posters, desk drawers, and beds etc. would most likely be strewed about in an ununiform-type manner

sorry to knock your map, it's a helluva lot better than what i could ever do, but i think details like i mentioned above would seriously make it a lot more realistic

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Well, I've done a lot with it as far as destruction has gone. If you'd see the entire terrain, you'd see the huge valley and cliff near the house. It may not take much to move the land near a huge cliff. Also, earthquakes hit along the same areas, so maybe years of earthquakes have weakened the ground making a not so big earthquake do a lot of damage. Then there's the whole detail cost thing. My video card can run 500 polies easy, can yours? I'm trying damn hard to make the map detailed, all the while being able to run decent. And that's my car on the lift, do you think I'd ruin my own baby? Not going to happen. Honestly I can't afford much more detail on the torn up side of the house. I'm trying to keep it under 400 polies. Thanks for all the imput.
Jaymian

arsenicpants

Damn proud of his AMC Gremlin
Jul 15, 2000
Visit site
really?
nice car, man
GTO, maybe Cutlass?

you can see my Gremlin in Angelheart's new Innercity map :)
the black one with red fenders

but really, how many more polies would it take to make a drawer half open, or have the posters on the walls on to floor instead, or even just crooked?
maybe even have a 2D flat shape of broken dishes on the kitchen floor?
so long as you keep the details in seperate rooms, or in places blocked by other things, polygons shouldn't be a problem

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
It's a '72 cutlass, and it never made into an AngelHeart map:) Well, if you look really close, you may see some pictures tilted, and laying on the floor. I've done quite a bit of damage control. I'll add some more. This map will be around 400 easy, so be prepared. Earthquakes cause unpredictable damage, and not everything may seem realistic. But since when has an INF map been real? I could nitpick all day. I wanted to try something a little different, and not so typical. And I'm sure many will argue, not realistic. Oh well, I tried. Better luck next time.
Jaymian

DarkSniper

Do something other than design levels?
Jun 6, 2001
Tennessee
www.combatmaps.com
Hey Jaymian you just keep doing what you are doing. It is looking great! LOL The only thing I would be concerned about with comments is if the person who is commenting actually makes maps.......If not a mapper, hmmmm

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Facelift

Well, I'm almost done, well with TDM anyway. I'd like to release TDM and AS together. We'll see. So far no new pics. Too late tonight. It looks a bit different outside. I had to do some drastic things to keep the poly under 500(yes, 500). Everything is where I want it. I am having a lot of BSP errors, so a lot of building yet to go. In other words, very boring stuff. When I get a decent enough build for screenshots, I'll show you what I got. So that is what you'll get. The download size will about break my account at 6MB, and the poly count will break your computer at about 450 max. Hope you can handle it:)
Jaymian

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
screenshots

The first one will be the screenshot. I've spent the last 5 hours building trying to get a good build, and it's starting to piss me off. Always something wrong. Sometimes mapping can really suck. Here's those pics.

afta1.jpg

afta2.jpg

afta3.jpg

Jaymian

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Re: screenshots

Originally posted by jaymian
Sometimes mapping can really suck.

oi, don't say that! that goddamn bsp god listens to us...
that map keeps looking better and better every time when you post new screenshots, tell me when it's finished and i'll do a review for combatmaps

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Holy Crap

I've spent all day Saturday rebuilding this piece of crap. Every time I get down to 1 error, I rebuild, then 11 more pop up. This is the most difficult map I've ever done. It's keeping me from making more maps, and having fun mapping. But I really want to finish it. I think I'll try and keep things more simple from now on. I'm also having botpathing problems. With my doors on the house, I needed to use the grabtrigger, because the windows break, and for some reason that messes the regular grab doors. Now the bots don't know what to do, so they just run in place. Poo on them. Maybe I could simplify the doors, and take out the window. Hope to get this out by Christmas.
Jaymian

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I got the bots to work on the doors. I'm so close to finishing this map, it drives me crazy. I had this build that seemed like the one, then I found an error I couldnt leave in. Soooooooo close. Just gotta get one lucky build in, and it'll be done.
Jaymian