Simple Tutorial?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UnrealStinger

Stinger
Mar 2, 2004
MMm i search and i search but nowhere can i find a simple tut to making UT2k4 skins, can someone direct me towards one as im getting in to the skin making and need a sitefor it, thnx

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Nope

Radiosity said:
Good luck finding one - there don't actually appear to be any skinning tuts on the net anywhere.

Nope, if you look on the SkinCity forums you'll see a few ppl were talking about making one (be about time someone did). I'd do it myself but I'm only at it six months and I still don't understand masks, alpha channels and a whole lot else. Hopefully someone 'experienced' will do one ;)

UnrealStinger

Stinger
Mar 2, 2004
i know that but just need to know the accesing the actual skins part, im a vet skinner from mohaa and stuff.

also accesing the loading screen files would be helpful...

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Well, the textures for all the skins are in PNG format on CD6 or the CD6 folder on the DVD. Install Upaint on the same CD/same folder - that's what you'll use to see the models/put your textures onto ;)

The loading screen is a map called NvidiaLogo.ut2 - Which references a few different texture files, etc - You can take a proper look at that using UnrealEd in the UT2004\System folder :tup:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Yup on the DVD version there should be 6 folders CD1-CD6;

The character textures and meshes are under a folder inside CD6\Extras\ called SkinArt and under that same folder CD6\Extras you'll find Upaint... If CD6 is not there it's the first I heard of it ;) Unless there's a diff version in your country(?)

UnrealStinger

Stinger
Mar 2, 2004
k found that stuff now but when i open the uPaint program which files do i open cos when i go to the extras, the skin files then the stuff in there where all the skins are and click nothing appears...

Last edited:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Copy over the SkinArt folder from the CD/DVD into your Upaint folder on your hard drive then goto file-open and browse to the characters folder inside the skinart folder that'll open the whole character for you. The textures themselves are in the textures folder

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
You save the character first calling it a name of your choice (you don't overwrite anything) then click on file-export to unreal in Upaint... You'll then be able to use your new character in game... Just look through the other forum threads - All these questions have been answered 100 times over :D

graboid

Apr 21, 2004
So the files are in PNG format? If this is so then making skins will be faster than trying to change a dds to another picture type. But like I said its in PNG format?