Should all maps have path nodes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
That I can't tell you, as I have no experience with mods, I just thought of the idea as I was running around maps I have made to make sure the flowed good and you could make certain jumps and stuff, botpathing can be a pain and I thought if you could just record yourself running the map jumping and doing cool human moves and then have the computer extrapalate from that it would be alot ezier and most likely work alot better, but it was just an idea, not even sure if it could be done.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Indyskyz said:
IMO a way to record yourself running and jumping thru the map on your human path and then doing that a bunch of times would make botpathing so much ezier and get them to react more human like.

Quake bots work like that. Reaper, omicron, cronos, elf (no, not an aimbot)...
Eraser for Quake2. You build the "paths" for the bots, as you run through the map. It's not easy to create good paths, though. Especially for eraser.

quillion

Q-Basics
Jun 4, 2004
I cant see the point in building a map and then leaving a vital part of it out?:s

If you spend time learning how to path a map, it aint such a pain in da ass
as many think. It drives me nuts to play a map and find there no botpathing.
Stop being lazy and do it LOL...

OH! and there is a program that you can path from running around the map..it drops apples for you.

>>> http://www.planetunreal.com/fordy/pathlogic.htm <<<<

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Eventualy bots in games will become smart, allmost every game that comes out has a different take on "AI".
Ideas will mesh together and vid games will get really really hard to win, even on easy settings.

Last edited:

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
Yes I have heard about the program that drops apples for you, but that is only the tip of the iceberg, what I was talking about would record every movement, every jump, hammer jumps, lift use, jump pad use and so on, thus making bots do things that they have a hard time doing now. I know I'm not even close to a pro class mapper but I have made more than a few maps and have run into all the problems with pathing, ever try to make a bot use a jump pad good? or jump up to a stack of boxes? use a certain type of lift? its these specialized moves where the bots fall short, just dropping apples is ez but it will not make for good pathing, and as I stated originally in certain types of maps especially huge ones for sniping or tourny style maps that you don't want to over load with power ups and ammo it can be close to impossible to make bots even worth trying to play, whats the point of pathing if even a masterful bot plays like an average one? yes 99% of maps should be pathed and it should be done as well as it can be, but ther is 1% of maps that trying to path would be a pointless waste of time, maybe they shouldn't be made at all.

Redfist I like your target shooting map Skillztest but you didn't botpath it,why?

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
ReD_Fist said:
I agree with you, all maps should be finished, wich includes bot paths
I agree with this too. A map that is "finished", in my opinion, should be online AND offline playable.

If I see a map hasn't got bot pathing I just don't bother.

Equal rights for bots.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
There is no reason not to add bot support. People seem to think an untextured map is not finished even though it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Why anyone would think it makes sense to leave out an aspect that DOES affect gameplay is something I will never understand.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Some maps don't deserver bot support. Bots have feelings as well, remember.

(Nobody recognises the "equal rights for bots" slogan? Nobody here has played the map? Ok, I'll upload a pic soon)

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
W0RF said:
There is no reason not to add bot support. People seem to think an untextured map is not finished even though it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Why anyone would think it makes sense to leave out an aspect that DOES affect gameplay is something I will never understand.

Have you ever played Fractal reactor with a guy wearing the blue warmachine skin? Try it sometime and let me know again if texture use has no effect on gameplay.:eek:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Ok, here's a pic. It might ring a bell...

(It's one of the first things that went through my mind when I viewed this thread, this particular map...)

Attachments

• Equalrigths.JPG
    Equalrigths.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 21