Serenity (spoilers sold separately)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Although i'm underqualified to be entering the debate, i find it very entertaining to see you guys discussing in all seriousness future weapon technologies as if they were actual. Best geek discussion evar !:D

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Actually, the debate was rather if a conventional firearm (e.g. those we have now) could fire in space/vacuum.

And I don't see how much future weapon technologies could be so drastically different if they use bullet, cartriges and explosives. Not like we were talking about phasers, lasers, rail guns and such silly things :eek:

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Actually you were. By dismissing the possibility of a laser gun, you were indeed making forecasts about future technologies. Even if it's based on rational arguments, that's still geek :D. (not that it's anything derogatory ;) )

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
After watching the series I agree Serenity is more fun to watch afterwards. 3 or 4 episodes were pretty damn good the others were rather average (this wild west atmosphere doesn't mix up too well with science fiction IMHO)

What I really wonder: what possible challenges would you put up against the team, with River seizing her full potential?

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if the movie would be something near the end of the timeline of the show. If they brought back the show I'd wager they start somewhere around where they left off and probably work their way up to the movies plot.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Where's the fun in seeing a series if the characters are immortal because of the plot in the movie that ends it ?

I think the 'broken government'-setting is a bit more interesting, because there's room for new developments. Otoh they'd have to deal with the unstopable killing machine that is the new/awakend River.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
JaFO said:
Where's the fun in seeing a series if the characters are immortal because of the plot in the movie that ends it ?
Because anything worth watching is more than an mindless exercise in batedly watching to find out which one's going to die?

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
What I really wonder: what possible challenges would you put up against the team, with River seizing her full potential?

Now here is a question to ponder on... do you think River was the only one to recive such a training?
------------------------

I'd been thinking about that myself in the "what would the story arc have done" in the long term type of way.

I doubt that River was the only one to have been expiremented on. River refers to other's being hurt at the school as well. Probably not the entire class -- as that would raise too much suspicion from parents (hmm all of our kids that went to this school are dead or zombies, ect ect.. I'm betting on a small percentage of the actual class would be expiremented on to the level of river's experiences.... It is of course possible that the other children may have been turned into aull blown-grade A vegitables, or that their powers have been increased greatly, or that each person may have had a unique gift. It's also never quite explained or infered if river's powers were a direct result of schools modification, or if the school simply released / expiremented on latent powers. Leading to The big question for the series: "Can anyone undergo similar surgery & training to become telepathic super soldiers or is it something that your born with, or some combo of the 2?

In the long term, i really saw 2 possibilities. One being the "epic war story" where Mal and crew unite the independant worlds and start another civil war with the Aliance.. with the aid of River and other freed Super Soliders ala Bab 5.

Or perhaps more likely, something more along the lines of a semi-linear story where the episodes would deal more with character interaction in adventurous ways? Personally i always saw river as either being destined to be slayn protecting the crew... and or meeting up with another "altered" and having a relationship (good or bad) and seeing how weird it would be to have to people able to read minds or similar powers deal with the whole teen romance thang.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Keganator said:
Or, every single horror film ever made? :p
You are correct! Though I haven't seen Lost, so I don't know about that.

As for River, people keep assuming she's now fully recovered and perfectly lucid. This strikes me as rather unlikely. She's gotten one very major problems mostly taken care of, but I'm fairly certain she has plenty of others. She may have more control over herself now and be mostly lucid, but I don't think she's fully recovered. But, more to the point, Firefly was never about big, epic stories and the people who made history. As Joss said, it was about the people history stepped on. I doubt, assuming it continues, that Joss will ditch all of that and resort to traditional witlessly bombastic Hollywood storylines.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
DEFkon said:
Or perhaps more likely, something more along the lines of a semi-linear story where the episodes would deal more with character interaction in adventurous ways?
River is pregnant. With the baby Space Jesus. Hilarity ensues.

Obviously.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
She was born with a 'gift'. They talk about it various times during the show and during the film.

The military experiments simply turned her into a 'sleeper' - ala 'The Manchurian Candidate'.

She wasn't supposed to remember the experiments at all.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
True, they explain in the show that she was super genious level before she went off to the "school for the gifted" and it wasn't just smarts, she also studied dance, and gymnastics ect ect. Though i really think that her telepathic abilities are the result of the experiments.

In the show they mention that her amygdala was removed. A part of the brain the helps filter out unwanted thoughts... and 99% of the mind reading that she does releates to unwanted thoughts. - For example when River walks into a room where her brother is recanting a funny story about graduating from med school to Kaylee, he looks up and sees her , and she reads - "And i'd would be there right now." Likely in reference to the fact if it wasn't for rescuing river he'd be back living it up. The most mysterious person she reads is Book becuase his unwanted thoughts are hostile and out of character -- something along the lines of "I dont care if your innocent or not, so where's that put you!?" and unfortunatly because He's dead, there's no clue to what that might have been forshadowing, The only positive thing she pics up in the entire series it seems is being swept up in the love/passion of Zoe & Wash during sex...(-

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Just to be clear, your amygdala doesn't do anything of that sort. The part of your brain that does that is your hypothalamus.