S-Vehicle Progress Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Hey guys, 3 vehicles ready now, the Nassau, FlairXF and FlairF1. If your ready to start coding shrimp, let me know and i'll upload-eth to the ftp.

Currently I am having 2 issues with the models (coders territory):
- Speed seems to be locked at raptor top speed
- HeadLights and BrakeLights do not show up for some reason

P.S - If you guys notice a problem with incorrect scaling, please let me know asap. :D

UnwheelSveh01.jpg

UnwheelSveh02.jpg

Last edited:

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I'll probably need to rescale my maps, but by how much I don't know. As soon as someone can definately tell me how much to rescale my maps I will.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
UltraNew-B, the scale still looks a litle to large from the screen shots, especially the ones with the bot in the vehicles. I am also havingh problems getting the top speed to exceed the Raptor. My vehicle is in the UnWheel ftp folder you were given access to, if you will put your there I can look at them.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
stevenhorton said:
UltraNew-B, the scale still looks a litle to large from the screen shots, especially the ones with the bot in the vehicles. I am also havingh problems getting the top speed to exceed the Raptor. My vehicle is in the UnWheel ftp folder you were given access to, if you will put your there I can look at them.

Yeah, if you could upload them as they are complete it would also help with testing, all the team members could be messing with them one at a time and if there is a scale or if there are other problems you would not have to go back to a bunch of cars just the complete ones and use the correct scale or anything else found from the start with the othe vehicles. The conversion is looking good :D

edit: PS: I know it would help all the mappers out if we could know what scale UnWheel will be using so we can start work on the scaling ASAP, and maybe have time to do our new maps in this scale so as to not to need to go back and scale after the maps are complete.

Last edited:

The_Devils_Avarcardo

UnWheel Vehicle Modeller
Mar 11, 2004
Sheffield, UK
www.lod3d.net
Looks good but the 1 thing i noticed (not the scale, though the truck is a bit too big) is that all the textures are mirrored. To fix it i think you should just be able to mirror the car on the x axis, it should sort things out :)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
jerdaygo said:
edit: PS: I know it would help all the mappers out if we could know what scale UnWheel will be using so we can start work on the scaling ASAP, and maybe have time to do our new maps in this scale so as to not to need to go back and scale after the maps are complete.

Yeah, and the scalemap function buggers the lighting

The_Devils_Avarcardo said:
Looks good but the 1 thing i noticed (not the scale, though the truck is a bit too big) is that all the textures are mirrored. To fix it i think you should just be able to mirror the car on the x axis, it should sort things out :)

The skins have been like that for ages.

Last edited:

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Ok i flipped and rotated the vehicles, textures are correct now. I had to add an interior to the truck as it had none whatsoever, and all vehicles need their textures altered (opacity etc). I will scale down the truck more. ;)

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hmm

Don't worry about interriors or scale. If a vehicle has solid windows, rather leave them as-is for the time being, as can fine-tune later. I have asked some people to remove bits of the interriors in the past, as they're pretty much a waste of polys in most cases.

As for the scale, it's not important to get them the right scale next to normal players, as there are no players to compare against in UnWheel, and the in-car models can be scaled to match the vehicle, rather than the other way around. It's also easier for me to scale the vehicles through code to match the maps, rather than rescaleing all the maps to match the vehicles.

So rather just get them all on the same scale, and we'll modify them as needed once in-game in UnWheel :)

Anyway, looks great so far :D. Remember the rear wheels on the Shaguar and F1 should be a bit bigger than the front ones too ;). Any luck squishing/animating/moving the Monster Truck suspension? Perhaps TDA or someone who's done animation in Max could be of assistance?

Keep it up, and sent me the files (UED and the converted 3DS and UT2004 format models) once you're done :) How many do you have done so far? Could you send me a few to work with meanwhile?

:D :D :D

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Ok, update 4 vehicles ingame now and scaled correctly with interiors added, textures made alpha, etc.

I basically have to add the body and wheels (which are widely varied in scales) in Max and combine them into 1 unit that gets exported, so no choice but to scale. Then you can later just scale all the vehicles up to whatever needed size to match existing map scale. Simple. :)

Its not an issue to add small (low poly)detail interior, it really creates an immersion factor actually being inside the vehicle. Its basically an extra 5 mins to fix the textures and add low detail interiors. Again consistency, makes it worth while and gives a more polished feel to the mod overall.

I was really hoping you would be adding a player model to the interiors in the unwheel, I mean it's literally already set up, seems like a crying shame to not include animated drivers if we have the ability to do so. It looks so cool to have an animated driver in the vehicle as opposed to an empty , driverless vehicle magically moving around :D .It would be really cool if someone made up a custom player with a helmet.

Its a very big job converting thses vehicles over, since we're doing this much work, might as well go for all the bells and whistles while we're at it. The hard work will really pay off i feel (hope).

All that is left to do is some texture repair work and create destroyed versions of vehicles (if needed)

UnwheelSVeh03.jpg

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I don't think we'll be destroying the vehicles any time soon (unless Shrimp's planning a destruction derby style mod) so concentrate on the plain and simple vehicles.

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
Venom GTSR is now ingame. Bringing total to 5 vehicles now. I figure about mid week, they should all be ready. Still quite a few to go yet. :eek:

For future ref., I also figured out how to increase the speed finally. In conjunction with increasing GroundSpeed setting, you have to increase gear ratios. Cars are quite fast now, it rox. :)

UnwheelSVeh04.jpg

P.S - I will upload what I have so far prolly tomor. night or sunday morn, I'm busy with RL work and social crap til then. ;)

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Kewlies :D

About the player models - I was already planning on using standard UT models (for the time being at least) in the vehicles which have clear windows, and just hiding them in the solid window versions. But if it's easy to add/update the insides on solid windowed vehicles, then go ahead :)

The helmeted model sounds nice, we could let players customise their helmet colour even just for fun :D.

And ye, no destructable versions required just yet, though if it's an easy thing to do it wouldn't hurt to have them just in case we need them ;)

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
FTP down very for a very brief time

Go Ultra :D Keep cranking out those conversions, looks great :D .

Also a little FYI: the fpt will be down for about an 30 min saturday night/sunday morning, so if you try to upload and cant try again in around 30 min, this will be happening somewhere between 11:30pm and 12:30am your time Ultra so thats 3:30am to 4:30am GMT for the rest of the teams info ;) Hope this scheduled down time doesnt disrupt anyone, email me if its a problem, otherwise this will be the time.

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
OK guys, I have uploaded 6 vehicles(Master of Disaster just completed) (and associated files 20 Mb) to the ftp, and the sample map to try. In the sample map, go to red team, and cap first (closest)node to spawn all vehicles and try them out.

EDIT: Shrimp, I forgot to include the .uc files in the .zip file. I am uploading a seperate zip now with the .uc files.

I was thinking for shrimps sake, instead of scaling up all the vehicles via code, I believe it would be MUCH MUCH easier for coding, if the vehicles remain to ut2k4 scale and we simply scale down all the maps.

Reason being, as the vehicles are now, all head and taillights, wheel size settings, player position, FP CAM, settings and many more are all set properly now, if you start scaling all the vehicles up . ALL these various settings will have to be scaled up individually as well, manually through .uc files. VERY TIME CONSUMING, this is what takes longer than anything, setting all these up. Scaling maps sounds daunting, but really it is not at all, ITS MUCH MUCH EASIER to scale maps down(2 simple operations), than to screw around with vehicle settings for literally days.

As well, texture wise, vehicle textures at the smaller ut2k4 scale have higher res because vehicles are not so big, NOT stretching the tex basically. Same goes for map textures, they will be higher res as well, for the same reason.

Basically: Small Model + Large Texture = Very Good
Large Model + Large Texture = Not Very Good

Just something to think about. :)

Last edited:

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Do the vehicles have the same basic code? A couple on the cars act a little nose heavy. The Flair behaves VERY well, and sound nice too:) If you raise the "ChangeUpPoint" the shift will take place at a higher RPM. The scale looks pretty good on the ones you have done. I tried to export yout .uc code with UTPT, but it said your models were an unrecognised format. Could you upload the code so I could compare what you are using with what I have tried?

UltraNew-B

UnWheel Team
Feb 22, 2003
Your Subconscious
Visit site
UltraNew-B said:
EDIT: Shrimp, I forgot to include the .uc files in the .zip file. I uploaded a seperate zip with the .uc files.

Yes, the code is pretty similar. All based off raptor.

P.S - Steven, do you want me to add your car to the package as well?While i'm on a roll.

;)

Last edited:

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I now have two, the Typhoon is almost done. I don't know how to run UCC Make on multiple classes to generate one animation package:p Also, for the life of me, my vehicles seem to float above the terrain, neither coding or translation the mesh will help. The Siren is much worse than the Typhoon. Would it be possible to go through the same steps you are using on the UnWheel KVehicles to try and fix the Siren? I am going to download your code and compare it with mine:)

Attachments

• TyphoonInGame.jpg
    TyphoonInGame.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 39

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Just tried them out last night, they all look great :D

I have one request though - that you scale up the wheels on the Flair XF150 a bit to be on about the same scale as the current ones (that includes making the wheel a little wider). The X-Vert will require the same treatment.

I'd still prefer to simply up the vehicle sizes though, because even with all the location vectors etc being specified in code, these can easily be adjusted in code by a simple multiplication to the same scale as the vehicle ;).

I look forward to seeing the rest, as well as Steven's :D

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
Shrimp said:
Just tried them out last night, they all look great :D

I have one request though - that you scale up the wheels on the Flair XF150 a bit to be on about the same scale as the current ones (that includes making the wheel a little wider). The X-Vert will require the same treatment.

I'd still prefer to simply up the vehicle sizes though, because even with all the location vectors etc being specified in code, these can easily be adjusted in code by a simple multiplication to the same scale as the vehicle ;).

I look forward to seeing the rest, as well as Steven's :D

Thats the first thing Diego1203 and I noticed last night when we messed with the vehicles was the small tires on the Flair XF150, but it is sure fun to drive in that map :) they look good, and doing the over all scaleing with code would be nice, I'm all for not having to scale existing maps and I'm sure Steve, Project X and Diego1203 all agree.