S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
Just picked it up and installing now.
I played the russian release a little while back. It feels much better than Shadow of Chernobyl.

Gamestop is silly trying to sell me an opened copy as new. Since target didn't have it I ended up at Best Buy.

Discuss, and I don't mean Gamestop silliness.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Im dying to get this one. Not in stores here yet and digital downloads are too expensive.
You think I can run this one on an 8600GT on 1024x768 without it looking too shabby? Cause SOC ran well enough.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
looked for it earlier at the best buy and nearest gamestop, but unable to find a copy. I'll go look again tomorrow.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I got it on Monday when it was released. However I have yet to play it because my DVD drive feels like being ridiculous. It will not read DVD data at all like there was no DVD in the drive.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I played it a little bit, ended up getting slaughtered by boars on the second mission.

Then Rock Band 2 came out, so...

But yeah, it's still S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and it was pretty fun from the little I played.

Last edited:

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
I think they have a few patches in.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin

...and I'm out!

stalker would've been a mediocre but somehow fun game if it wasn't for all the fun stoping bugs that were popping up constantly until I got a bug that stopped me fro mprogressing through chernobyl(like 10 minutes away form beating the game, ha!)

Dante

Born Ex Nihilo
Mar 2, 2008
Lithuania
Although many people got scared off by crappy begining of the original Stalker, I really enjoyed the game. Looking forward to Clear Sky, if its atleast as good as its predecessor then i'm happy.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So ... is Clear Sky to STALKER what UT2k4 was to UT2k3 ?

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
One of these days I will finish STALKER. It wasn't a bad game so much as my old machine just didn't run it very well.

Besides, gotta support my Ukrainian roots ;)

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma

can't really compare. but in a way yes, same game with some additions (new storyline and whatnot)

Clear Sky looks nearly the same as Shadow of Chernobyl.
Day/Night cycles are very well done.
weapons feel better
guns and armor can be upgraded, modified, and repaired
Weather effects are good
guides can take you to different locations instantly (price depends on distance)
you can ally almost any faction

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com

Yes, except CS has 1,5x more bugs then Clear Sky. BTW, I guess the opened copy was returned to Gamestop because of bugginess. My thoughts on the subject is that you guys are lucky as you already have a few patches so you can patch out (supposedly) the most annoying stuff right after you finished installing the game. Here the game was released on 16th of September and it was an epic bugfest. Lots of crashes, game being unable to start, lua-related crashes or bugs (most of them for some reason introduced by the cyrillic characters in the game's [default] path), Vista 64 users unable to launch the game because new StarForce simply doesn't work in 50% cases on Vista 64, game corrupting all save files, etc. This is the most unstable release I ever played, and there's also a plenty of bugs that just went unfixed like dialogs texts (in russian version) matching voice-over only by 65-85%. So mostly russian and ukrainian users payed their money to beta-test the game for the rest of the world.

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
For shame. I was planning on buying the russian version, just because the english voice-overs in the respective version are beyond horrible.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I was able to pick up a copy yesterday. A few of my thoughts:

• While I like the new inventory interface (for the most part) I wish the PDA was more like the first one. I can't zoom the map in as much as I want and I preferred being able to see all of my missions on a single list. Primary missions could just have fancy text or some nonsense. I also miss things like the contacts list.
  • I think the weapon sounds are better.
  • The way you're introduced to faction wars with everything being attacked is a bit overwhelming.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I'm starting to think that Russian/Eastern European developers/publishers do this on purpose. :(

Both Armed Assault and Flashpoint weren't bugfree at release ...
The Witcher had similar issues and is getting an updated second release which improves graphics and it apparently fixes a lot of the problems/features in the first release as well.

It's a damned shame as both STALKER and Witcher were really cool ideas & games.