Road to Khandahar. What a waste!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
IRL a sniper would use his scope and would normally not carry a binoc around with him. Why use binocs if I can use my beloved scope... and the AOV can be quite large if you use a good scope.

Wouldn't scanning for targets be the spotter's job?

TOAD

One team...one life...one chance
Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
spm1138 said:
Wouldn't scanning for targets be the spotter's job?

Yes that would be the prefered method, but sometimes snipers don't have the luxury of having a spotter.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Played only one time this map online.

As i never use sniper rifle myself , on the first round i tried all the possible ways i saw from the spawn point to the CD , but always ended being killed by a PSG-1/Robar , frustrating when you avoid death several times by sneaking around and approach the CD :)

Then next round after being killed again on my first life by a robar addict , i decided to take a Robar to see if it was so easy to do that or if i was just incredibly predictable.

And, without real training (just 3/4 sessions on the Training Range) on this weapon , i was surprised to kill so easily those random people trying to go to the CD with it, and killing opposite sniper too.
And it ended with snipers vs snipers match , as in a TDM , as the CD was forgotten until the time was elapsed.

I think the idea of one sniper by team is a very good idea on RTK , if it was possible to have a mutator attached to this very specific map without affecting the whole server rotation .

Last edited:

TOAD

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
The situation here is not how scopes ruin the gameplay on RTK, I'm sorry to say but it is partly the map's fault. When both sides know the enemy has snipers waiting to pop them, it's pretty much suicidal to attempt to retrieve the CD in day light condition in such an open area. One would have much better chance to retrieve the CD and get a way under cover of darkness... unless they have NVG scopes, in that case who ever is going for the CD is once again SOL

Edit: You guys want a realistic game, well this is a realistic problem (snipers and open area), some of you want to "solve" the problem by forcing no scopes... can't do that IRL. Why do we have snipers popping each other? Because maybe they don't really care about death... grab a Robar, kill 3 or 4... maybe get popped once... respawn and repeat.

Last edited:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
TOAD said:
The situation here is not how scopes ruin the gameplay on RTK, I'm sorry to say but it is partly the map's fault. When both sides know the enemy has snipers waiting to pop them, it's pretty much suicidal to attempt to retrieve the CD in day light condition in such an open area. One would have much better chance to retrieve the CD and get a way under cover of darkness... unless they have NVG scopes, in that case who ever is going for the CD is once again SOL

Edit: You guys want a realistic game, well this is a realistic problem (snipers and open area), some of you want to "solve" the problem by forcing no scopes... can't do that IRL. Why do we have snipers popping each other? Because maybe they don't really care about death... grab a Robar, kill 3 or 4... maybe get popped once... respawn and repeat.

I partially agree. Some ppl dont want to get popped but to most people its all about numbers (I learned matches where I get the most kills is usually the matches I lose for some reason). But I think its more than fair to force no scopes on a daylight map like RtK. Perhaps if the map was nighttime that would be a different story, but even then it would be easy with the way mappers do there lighting. Since most people use brightness 11 a mapper should make it almost pitch black so only faint outlines could be seen and flashlights used.

NeoLancer

«STS»Cypher
May 26, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
I partially agree. Some ppl dont want to get popped but to most people its all about numbers (I learned matches where I get the most kills is usually the matches I lose for some reason). But I think its more than fair to force no scopes on a daylight map like RtK. Perhaps if the map was nighttime that would be a different story, but even then it would be easy with the way mappers do there lighting. Since most people use brightness 11 a mapper should make it almost pitch black so only faint outlines could be seen and flashlights used.

Is there a way to prevent players from using the brightness setting? Or is that hardcoded into UT? Would be a good idea to code that if it is possible, would put everyone on the same playing level in that sense. Also, RtK does need a nighttime variant.

Also, RtK would be interesting if the terrain was reversed...player spawning at the bottom of the hill and having to move up it...might create spawn camping probs, but with proper cover up the hill sides, could be fun.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
NeoLancer said:
Is there a way to prevent players from using the brightness setting? Or is that hardcoded into UT? Would be a good idea to code that if it is possible, would put everyone on the same playing level in that sense. Also, RtK does need a nighttime variant.

Also, RtK would be interesting if the terrain was reversed...player spawning at the bottom of the hill and having to move up it...might create spawn camping probs, but with proper cover up the hill sides, could be fun.

Brightness setting should not and will not be forced to any setting. I mentioned this eons ago when I first started playing INF but now I see why. Some people have older or ****tier monitors so there screen isnt as bright as others. What really needs to be done is make night time maps truely night time. Where flashlights and others things would need to be used. Im not talking pitch black im talking dark enough where only faint shadows can be seen only within 50-100 meters, maybe less. RtK is one of those maps where the mapper messed up the most in one important aspect. Random spawns. It really needs it.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
RtK is one of those maps where the mapper messed up the most in one important aspect. Random spawns. It really needs it.
I whole heartedly disagree. In theory, it would be nice to have, but in application it would be very detrimental to gameplay. It would be almost impossible to be able to prevent spawn camping with random spawns on RTK. If spawns were anywhere on the map besides where they currently are placed, you are open to sniper fire from almost any part of the map. Throw the spawns in a bunker you say? Again, the exit can be sniped from many parts of the map. Mostar's random spawns works so well because the layout of the map allows protection for each spawn. RTK does not have that luxury.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
TOAD said:

Which is more realistic?
A) Two squads of men carrying Robars and PSG-1 into a battle at ranges of 400 meters.
B) Two squads of men armed with assault rifles with occasional M203s and SAWs for support.

Did you see the footage of the battle at the port of umkhazaar(SP?) Dozens
of marines entrenched several hundred meters from a building that housed
Iraqi troops firing at our troops. They were firing M16s toward the building,
not the berret Sniper Rifles. Eventually, they used a Javalin rocket to destroy
the building.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
erehwoN said:
I whole heartedly disagree. In theory, it would be nice to have, but in application it would be very detrimental to gameplay. It would be almost impossible to be able to prevent spawn camping with random spawns on RTK. If spawns were anywhere on the map besides where they currently are placed, you are open to sniper fire from almost any part of the map. Throw the spawns in a bunker you say? Again, the exit can be sniped from many parts of the map. Mostar's random spawns works so well because the layout of the map allows protection for each spawn. RTK does not have that luxury.

I disagree in that the mapper could have made the spawns behind mountains, so the party spawning would always be somewhat protected. Its up to the mapper to make sure this kind of thing does not occur.

TOAD

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
Demosthanese said:
Which is more realistic?
A) Two squads of men carrying Robars and PSG-1 into a battle at ranges of 400 meters.
B) Two squads of men armed with assault rifles with occasional M203s and SAWs for support.

Did you see the footage of the battle at the port of umkhazaar(SP?) Dozens
of marines entrenched several hundred meters from a building that housed
Iraqi troops firing at our troops. They were firing M16s toward the building,
not the berret Sniper Rifles. Eventually, they used a Javalin rocket to destroy
the building.

A and B are both realistic. If INF was a simulation of US armed force then B would be more realistic, but INF is not simulating any real world fighting organization is it?

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
{GD}NTKB said:
I disagree in that the mapper could have made the spawns behind mountains, so the party spawning would always be somewhat protected. Its up to the mapper to make sure this kind of thing does not occur.
Pick a mountain, and I'll give you a half dozen (at least) spots from which I can snipe that position. Here, I'll even help you.
RtK_whole.jpg

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
A and B are both realistic. If INF was a simulation of US armed force then B would be more realistic, but INF is not simulating any real world fighting organization is it?

Well if INF isnt meant ot be realistic, then what is it meant to be? I know of no forces ANYWHERE, or even why everyone in some sort of looney gun cult would carry a sniper rifle. It just isnt practical. And not realistic no matter how you try to justify it.