Riots in Paris

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
Crazy_Ivan said:
Could be fiction, but very very close to reality
Banlieue 13 close to reality? :lol::lol::lol:
C'mon, some neighborhoods are very unfriendly and in total decay, with rampant criminality and heavy drug traffic, but man, we haven't got organized gang wars and firefights every other day ;)
My point being, the situation is not "out of control" IMO. It's important, but has happened before and will happen again in the future. Sure that was a bad idea to concentrate massive quantities of immigrants in these artificial suburbs cities in the 70s, where now there are no ways in or out, in all meanings of the term.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The violence is spreading beyond Paris: Rouen, Dijon, Marseille.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4405620.stmFrench riots spread beyond Paris

The violence that has wracked Paris suburbs over the past week has spread to new areas and outside the French capital for the first time.
Youths burned buildings and more than 500 vehicles in the eighth consecutive night of rioting. Nearly 80 arrests were made in Paris.

And who's to blame for the carpet warehouse burning down?

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
These are not riots and they're not out of control.
It's just a bunch of stupid youths burning cars for fun. It has nothing to do with, say, the riots in LA in 92.

The only revolting thing with those "riots" is how Sarkozy and De Villepin are (mis)using it for their good :rolleyes:

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
And who's to blame for the carpet warehouse burning down?

The dykes?

These are not riots and they're not out of control.
It's just a bunch of stupid youths burning cars for fun. It has nothing to do with, say, the riots in LA in 92.

Yea, this has nothing to do with race. I would say it has more to do with alienation of the youth. We need to get some good ol' mind warping relegion back in France to keep them chillums at home or church.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
That's bull**** as far as I know it's not about religion.

People in the outskirts of paris live in ****ty conditions. Alot don't have education, they have no work and the situation keeps getting worse with no hope at all.
The dead of those 2 guys ignited the slumbering anger that alot of people who live in the slums had for years. The government kind of neglected those area's. Now the **** has hit the fan, and you see politicians on tv calling those people trash and lowlifes, like that one (internal affairs?) minister did. That is oil on the fire, not something those people want to hear.
People demand action (education, work, a better future) and help from the state, and not to be beat down by the police.
The more police and whatnot they put against the angry mob the more angry the mob will get.

Thank you for making sense ;) .

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Wow, this thread has so much exaggeration and blatant factual errors it's about to collapse into a black hole :rolleyes:

I live and work there. These are not riots, but random, stealth vandalism acts prveyed by bands of a dozen youths at night It's not happening in Paris but in cities around it.

Sarkozy hasn't called them "lowlifes" but said he'd purge the criminals from the cities. Which he's doing now, as you can judge from the number of immediate comparutions in local courts (jail sentences are a few months in most serious cases).

Yes the **** has hit the fan. These places have been abandoned by the authorities gradually and this was bound to happen. We can debate again about the causes of this situation and what needs to be done like has been done endlessly in all media outlets of the country if you will.

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
That's bull**** as far as I know it's not about religion.

Sorry. I'm just always reading articles about how the slummy muslim sects in France are always getting worse and worse. Rape and crime is a huuuuge problem and poor Muslims are stealing from the white majority. I'm not saying "All muslims are thieves." I'm not implying that at all. I'm just saying that because the authorities have left these derelict areas out to rot, people have turned this into a "the government hates our people" kind of a thing. And then cops react violently and more riots break out, etc. etc. Just like the L.A. riots because of Rodney King. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Last edited:

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
namu.free.fr
Peavey I'd like to know which media you read/hear this from :)

As far as religion go, my muslim colleague brought pastries to the office for celebrating the end of Ramadan yesterday. This is the kind of approach to religion we have.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
namu said:

As far as religion go, my muslim colleague brought pastries to the office for celebrating the end of Ramadan yesterday. This is the kind of approach to religion we have.

It was on the BBC and like I said this was only in the "ghettos". There were tons of apartments and they were all full of African muslims and some of the people being interviewed had been saying how their sisters had been raped, brothers had been stabbed, etc. by other gangs and stuff. Obviously there are impoverished people who are actually trying, but this was just a news report.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
thewalkingman said:
How come nobody is mentioning the rioters are muslim?

Er, it's pretty obvious, given the current state of French relations and the areas the rioters come from? If they were from white areas of France would you be going "how come nobody is mentioning the rioters are Christian omg religion of peace lol"?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
IMAGE_T5_48972.jpg

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
namu.free.fr
Sam_The_Man said:
Er, it's pretty obvious, given the current state of French relations and the areas the rioters come from?
I'm confident they are all French. I can only guess their religion though, I'd say, judging by my own experience and knowledge of the area, that a third of them are muslims whose parents or grandparents came from North-African countries, one third is loosely christian and for a good part descends from Central-African immigrants, and the remaining third is atheist or vaguely christian/protestant and white.

But hey, you'll never see this in any french media, 'cause it's illegal to say such a thing (which is why there exists no precise metrics for religious beliefs and etnic origin in France).

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
thewalkingman said:
How come nobody is mentioning the rioters are muslim?

Wrong, you're mistaking arab and muslim. At best, you can say that some of them are descendants of muslim cultures, but the true muslims are actually the ones trying to quiet things down is these areas. Also, a lot of rioters are from african countries that were formerly french colonies, and thus have a more of a christian background (but i wouldn't call them religious people either).

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
namu said:
I'm confident they are all French. I can only guess their religion though, I'd say, judging by my own experience and knowledge of the area, that a third of them are muslims whose parents or grandparents came from North-African countries, one third is loosely christian and for a good part descends from Central-African immigrants, and the remaining third is atheist or vaguely christian/protestant and white.

yeah you are right. Those Suburbs are pretty mixed. They may come from all over the world but they have one thing in common. They live in poverty, pissed at the governement who did nothing for those ppl and not to mention that the whole infrastructure is just wel depressing. Hell they even knew back in sixties that the way of building these suburbs would cause social problems.
These youth are pissed off. I mean there is nothing there to do for them. No work no future. I mean really nothing.
But I hear these kind of riots with revolting youth setting cars on fire is pretty common. Only difference now is that its lasting longer while normally the revolting just lasts 2 or 3 days.
But these youth punks are also burning shops and companies in the area. What can result in a possible exodus of companies not to mention it wont do anything good to the investment climate.

namu said:

I bet it is FOX news.

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
namu.free.fr
Actually, the one vandalizing are not the ones that suffer. All the pooor people that the government hardly ever cared for in all those years are the same persons whose cars get burnt, whose shop / home gets vandalized, etc... Some of them even ain't french. They came here because that's all they would be able to afford, trying to build a new life there and help their whole family, and here comes a band of pot-dealing, high-schooler-mugging, rised-with-no-prental-authority youths that claim the whole lot as their own little city inside the city.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I think France and the Netherlands should seriously consider a new policy concerning immigration. I'm not racist or anything but it's obvious there's some nasty friction going on between groups. It's gotten to the point where some youths will say "hey you dirty frenchman/dutchman".

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
La racaille, if I remember.

I was talking to a friend of mine in France and he said pretty much what you said, namu, that a lot of the people that are doing this kind of thing are doing it supposedly to revolt against governmental treatment / police abuse, but that they're actually violent and abusive so often that there's even a slangy way to refer to them.