Remember your first online game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Falcon 3.0. My dad was NUTS about this game and bought a flight setup and a math co-processor for it and I used to play it when he was at work.

~Jason

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Unreal was my first online gaming experience. I had played Doom, Quake, and Quake II before Unreal came out, but I never played them online. I bought Unreal on release day and on day two I tried online matches. The first Unreal match I ever played online was in Ariza if I remember correctly. Deathfan was my favorite map, though; it was always very frantic.

My best friend and I did alot of 1v1 and 2vsAI StarCraft matches over modem<>modem back in my high school days. We'd come home from work and tie up the phone lines all night playing it. My dad eventually broke down and got me a second phone line :D

Good times. I miss my high school days. Everything was better back then, especially the gaming.

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I think Quake2 was the first game I'd play 'on the internet' with random guys.

Descent, Command & Conquer, and Mechwarrior 2 I think I played earlier, but in direct connection with buddies.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
DOOM II if that counts :D Very primitive, but fun.

Skipped Quake, don't know why.

Then... Unreal Tournament :)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Internet:

Z

Then Diablo 1 or Quake, not sure they are both 1996.

Edit: Wait, apparently Diablo 1 was early 1997 so its Z, Quake, Diablo.
Weird thing is I specifically remember playing Z before Quake, but it says Quake came out first. I thought Z came out way before 1996. :(

Then Unreal of course. ;)

In the same room:

DUCKHUNT

then

SECRET OF MANA
NBA JAM
ECT

then

GOLDENEYE AND DUKE NUKEM 64 MOTHA****AS
ECT

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I first played Quake II on LAN. The first actual online game I played was called Cyberstrike 2 (which was a lot like a precursor to UT2004 Onslaught but without playable vehicles). I also played some Mechwarrior 2 online, but it was more boring than Cyberstrike. I tried playing Q3A online but it did not really do it for me. Then came UT, in all its online glory and mad pace. UT was the first game I actually invested serious online time in.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
That'd be the original Unreal sometime in 1999 not long before UT was released. It came as the result of me discovering the Gamespy Lite client after having installed one of the patches.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
First it was UT, which directed me here to BU and then my first real infatuation began: Infiltration. Still to this day, no game compares to the challenge, skill and sheer chaos that that game was. It has a very special place in my heart <3.
dude!
that's pretty much my story.

UT99 was the first game I ever played online.
that introduced me to the Beyond Unreal community which introduced me to Infiltration. INF is still one of the best standalone mods I've ever played.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
teamfort001640w.jpg

and
90094714.jpg

on a 28.8K modem, (pay per minute!)

But also Big up the INF massive, (i bet i could still aaajnin kill you to this day)