Remember your first online game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
If your memory reaches that far, beyond the gazillion (if so) matches in countless games...

I used to play online regularly, and my first game was in Quake. Back in 1998.
Funny that I can still recall it so clearly. It all took place in the skill halls. (turbulent spamtastic map in deathmatch)
Prior to jumping online there was the reaper bot experience. Sure, they were fun. But so different from the real thing. And the lag. The lag was hysterical on the old 56k line. The joy of entering a room, suddenly having the disconnect icon showing up, and the next moment either being fragged or bumping into the other end (or falling in lava pools).

But still, twas fun. After that hectic match my hands shook. But I really enjoyed that game. Quake deathmatch was tons of fun.

How about you? Any vivid memories of the first (or early) online games? What was it like?

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Yep, same here, Quake was my first online game. My name was STRYKE. It took me a while to discover Quakeworld so I was stuck playing the horrible original multiplayer where the movement isn't clientside so even walking around has lag. Then I found Quakeworld and Threewave CTF. Good times!

I played a lot of Interstate 76 online too, with a hacked police car with tank treads and 5x tracking turrets. Also good times!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I got quakeworld after a while as well, and used "the all seeing eye" iirc. My fav maps were ogre citadel and ...grizzly grotto and e1m2. Yeah, good times running around in a pixelated 320x200 world (I got winquake/glquake and a better graphics card later on. Was stuck with a s3virge). Funny how I kept playing, though...quake was such simple fun.

Mar 6, 2004
U2XMP was my first ever game online back when i was 18 (26 now). that is why i love fast paced FPS now and am sad because nothing is out there like this game. Fast but not as good.

Last edited:

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
SWAT 3, circa 1999. I think the first time I played online was 2000, when GameSpy Arcade was the newest, coolest thing ever. I tried the multiplayer for Rogue Spear a little while after that, but that game was waaaay too hardcore for my ten-years-old self. So I stuck with SWAT 3.

"TOC, this is entry team!" :sniper:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Turok 2, apparently the game was full of cheaters or something.
I used to play on it without knowing **** about how to work with a server list and just joined random servers, i frequently got disconnects and then wondered why no one was on the server i was on and id just wander around and shoot at stuff. I think i was 10 or so.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
My first game online was Doom Deathmatch over tcp/ip. Command prompts with specific parameters, constantly disconnected from AOL because me and my friends weren't connecting so I had to call them on the phone. Good times.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I played DN3D on ten in like July of 96 I think. I was stuck in summer school.
As well as Terminal Velocity at the same time.
I didn't play another online game till quake3 & Unreal Tournament in 99.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I honestly can't remember if it was UT or Delta Force 2. Both games I played over 56k, though I will say Delta Force 2 was the first game I ever used hacks in :eek:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Some time in '96, I played Quake and Duke3D.
And the race to shoot people online began.

Before that, it was Lan'ing Doom and CNC.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
My first big multiplayer experience? Monster Truck Madness during my 6th grade Computer class. On Fridays, if we all were caught up on our work and lessons, our teacher would hook about 20 or so PC's up to play a big LAN for MTM, and boy was it awesome.

For online? Aside from Runescape (free in browser MMO), it was Medal Of Honor - Allied Assault (along with the expansion 'Spearhead')

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
My first big multiplayer experience? Monster Truck Madness during my 6th grade Computer class. On Fridays, if we all were caught up on our work and lessons, our teacher would hook about 20 or so PC's up to play a big LAN for MTM, and boy was it awesome.
Oh shi- me too. I can't remember which came first for me.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I'm a bit younger than you all and almost missed the late 90's "golden days", but when we first got broadband it must have been summer of 2004 and I was really excited to play UT2004 online. First server was asbestos and they were pretty good and I got owned so I left and played on another server. A few hours later that night and I had won my first online deathmatch. Training with bots all those years wasn't so bad.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
First it was UT, which directed me here to BU and then my first real infatuation began: Infiltration. Still to this day, no game compares to the challenge, skill and sheer chaos that that game was. It has a very special place in my heart <3.