Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Any idea when/if UT3 servers/faves will be supported in the Steam server interface? After the patch when achievements are applied too?
I don't think this is planned, unfortunately. However, any Steam integration looks good to me, hopefully it means the next Ut will be more fully integrated with the community features.

One thing that has annoyed me with UT3 in the past is that it's community features were really subpar. The gamespy community features just are not good, they don't even come close to matching up with what Steam has.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh my god.

I don't have a ****ing F:\ drive, my UT3 is directly set on C:\ :lol:
Now it worked. I can now see they are clone to each other.

I have a question though, what happens if I delete the non-Steam folder on C:\?
I suppose they are auto-cloned after each modification I make to it?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, it's a pointer. The SteamApps folder just points at the other folder, so if you delete the main one, the other one is gone too.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Elmurte (sp): Why does this matter? You can play your games on any computer in the world with an internet connection from that single account. And you can go offline on multiple computers and use a single copy to play LAN games on multiple machines easily enough.

It's "elmuerte", just like it's written to the left of the text.
Why does it matter? If Valve decides account X no longer deserves to play games, then the game locked to the account. Or, if you no longer want to have the game and sell it, you... well, you can't.
Also, that trick might not work in the future.

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
Hello all,

I have registered my retail dvd key with steam...and made a junction to my original retail install of UT3 with the MKLINK command line...successfully verified integrity of game cache...and managed to play UT3 from Steam.

Here's my quandry...
It takes 2 minutes for my Steam account to sign in, then three more minutes until the game opens...every time. Is that normal ? The last thing I need are more obstacles to surfing onto a server.
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64

Last edited:

Xavi

Southamerican Rocker!!!
May 6, 2008
Barranquilla, Colombia
Great to see these news. Thanks EPIC.I have a question, do u need (mandatory)to be in steam to get the next patch and bonus content or only if u want to? Sorry for my bad english. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Great to see these news. Thanks EPIC.I have a question, do u need (mandatory)to be in steam to get the next patch and bonus content or only if u want to? Sorry for my bad english. :)
No, only to get whatever Steam features will be included.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
[SD]JunGLe+=;2247028 said:
[...]
Here's my quandry...
It takes 2 minutes for my Steam account to sign in, then three more minutes until the game opens...every time. Is that normal ? The last thing I need are more obstacles to surfing onto a server.
I'm using Vista Ultimate x64

yep, that's normal. it totally sucks. atleast, the valve games have no stupid unskippable EAgamesnvidiathewayitsmeanttobeplayedandintelandblabla-videos. But the steam startup time is long. Just start it with your system, then you don't have to wait when you want to play UT3.
Itwas even longer some months ago, but they decreased the startup time with a patch :) still don't know why a program that's basically a list of apps with an instand messenger takes so long to load, but i think, it's the steam DRM-query that takes so long because the server takes ages to respond. (game startup time)

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
yep, that's normal. it totally sucks. atleast, the valve games have no stupid unskippable EAgamesnvidiathewayitsmeanttobeplayedandintelandblabla-videos.

Edit the UTEngine. ini to get rid of those.

Just open that ini and find the section called [FullScreenMovie] then on each line that starts with the word StartupMovies put a semicolon at the start of that word. So for example, the first looks like this before the edit: StartupMovies=Copyright_PC and after it should look like this: ;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC. There should be seven lines starting with the word StartupMovies.

Easy, so really there is no reason to complain about them.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Ok then, didn't get that impression from your post, but yeah your right there is.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
If Valve decides account X no longer deserves to play games, then the game locked to the account. Or, if you no longer want to have the game and sell it, you... well, you can't.

Just like anyone who's gotten their 2k4 key banned by Epic.
On the other topic one thing I would like to see on Steam is the ability to gift away or exchange your own games w/ other users. It could be as simple as a process that removes the local content and delists the game from your library. Verifies this process was completed and the other user could then activate and dl the content from Steam.

[SD]JunGLe+=

Sine Deceptii
Feb 1, 2009
Just like anyone who's gotten their 2k4 key banned by Epic.
On the other topic one thing I would like to see on Steam is the ability to gift away or exchange your own games w/ other users. It could be as simple as a process that removes the local content and delists the game from your library. Verifies this process was completed and the other user could then activate and dl the content from Steam.

Just like the 100 000 stolen UT04 keys that got banned...shutting out the victims and thieves alike? I hope that Steam takes a better approach.

Seriously though...5 minutes to watch the Epic splash screen in game with Steam launch ? That's considered normal waiting time ?

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

If you have the game installed in another location, there is a REALLY simple way to get it hooked into Steam, and that is using the MKLINK command line tools. This is available in Vista->Windows 7. Here's an example:

You have Steam on C:\Program Files\Steam
You have UT3 on F:\Unreal Tournament 3

Here is the command to run from cmd:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3" "F:\Unreal Tournament 3"

If you're in XP it is only slightly more tricky:

1) Download junction.exe from sysinternals:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

2) Extract junction.exe to a folder in your Path (or your user folder or whatever, wherever you can easily find it).

3) from the command line run:
junction "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3" "F:\Unreal Tournament 3"

Once you've done this it will be as if your UT3 directory is in the steamapps folder regardless of where it is actually installed. You can then verify game cache in steam and it will fix the executable and such.
Erm, I'm XP and I can't get that to work. I've downloaded and extracted that exe but when I type in that command line, it just says junction "is not recognised as an internal or external command". So how the heck is it supposed to work?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Silly Steam.

While doing the "point" trick (Which is not re-installing the game) to assign UT3 via Steam, the download will be really short but actually something went wrong. Most of the retail files were restored (The UTfrontend.ut3) which leads me to believe that Steam actually download the whole game anyway! GG ****ING STEAM! 8 GB!

I immediately went to check my internet usage and BAM, 3 GB over limit! Indeed does! Going to ****ing pay for this limit. might as well just have forgotten that. I still have 9 days to hold, my ISP like$ it when we surf around the web over our limited usage.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH BANDWIDTH WITH YOUR ISP BEFORE YOU GET YOUR RETAIL ON STEAM. OTHERWISE LOL!!

Last edited:

zarathustra

Seen things you people wouldn't believe
Feb 3, 2009
Nr. Stonehenge
www.abovegod.com
Wuh?

Silly Steam.

Aren't you the guy that deleted all of your local cache before restarting Steam? Silly what? All you had to do was physically move the files over & make-sure they weren't write-protected, Then verify the move. Couldn't be easier...

Anyway, down to business: I'm new to this forum - & new to UT3. I wouldn't be here (or had bought & be playing UT3) if it wasn't for Steam. I've just read this whole thread & it seems your community (UT3 players) needs more bodies. Chalk up one more _because of_ Steam. ;)

I don't understand the haters but every forum I join, there's always one or two hold-outs for 'the old way' - whatever it may be. I normally ignore them. They're generally misinformed & have usually not tried the system they bash. 'Your guy' needs to try Steam out again. There were teething troubles, but now it's 'Solid as a Rock"(tm).

I play TF2, L4D & some WICKED Source Mods mainly (Insurgency, DoD, CS:S, Zombie Panic, Battle Grounds, etc., etc - ALL FREE! lol ) & don't consider myself a "TF2'er", a "L4D'er", whatever. I am *ON STEAM* - & all of my clanmates & other ****-buddies are *right there* whenever I need them; IRRESPECTIVE OF THE GAMES WE PLAY TOGETHER. Some are on this game, some are on that - ALL are in one place for me! :D I _do_ vent, specifically with my clan - for tourneys, etc - but never use any of the other IMs (no need).

For me, Steam is FTW. ALL my friends agree too (& thanks to Steam & it's Groups) i have HUNDREDS. ROFL :lol: I hope to add a few "UT3'ers" to my list soon. :D

Cheers all,

zarathustra

P.S. Ain't SteamCloud just THE NUTS? :lol:

Last edited: