Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Snipez

Insane Poster!
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
Keihas was spreading at least a bit of misinformation. Some other commenter pointed to a WWII mod for Quake2 as an example of a game that had iron sights, but you can do much better with actual UT mods.

IIRC The Third Reich, a WWII mod for UT, had most of the features Keihas mentioned (iron sights, bullet penetration and ballistics, free aim) in its 1.2 release in 2002. The Third Reich (TTR) did not have controlled breathing or weapon collision, but these features have generated some debate within the INF community and in any case are somewhat negligible (e.g. in the sense that you may need to spend a day to get used to not hitting your weapon against a surface). INF does probably have superior, fluid free-aim implement and I'll be impressed if another game could pull it off that well.

I haven't played RO since the ut2k4 version, but the game wasn't that fun then. I can't remember all the details, but for one the level design was not particularly good. If TTR took anything from INF, it was AngelHeart's levels, but almost all the maps in TTR were superb, whereas no RO map really strikes me as memorable. Since the gameplay was essentially "multiple TAS" for the most part, having good maps were crucial. I only played RO because the TTR community was slowly dying then. Eventually my interests shifted towards modern warfare, so INF was a natural choice.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Still on a crusade against RO, Beppo? Hehe.

I don't agree though. Other games had freeaim, before and after Infiltration, but to my knowledge only Infiltration utilised freeaim to get a more realistic weapon handling (like lowering the muzzle into a ready position while observing the horizontal area). RO does not!
RO has somewhat of a generic, sway all over the place freeaim, which I totally dislike. I don't even know why they implemented it, I'd rather prefer there was no freeaim (but I don't care, since I don't play it).

And while at that, personally I never liked INF2.9 freeaim (I totally hate the extreme scope sway) and still can't get used to it. I always look back at INF2.86, because I loved the freeaim and the minimal scope freeaim.
INF2.86 is where I learned to love freeaim, not INF2.9. I don't know why it was changed in 2.9, but best would be if the player had the choice between the two freeaim styles to choose what fits him best.

Takes this long and the game still isnt as good as Inf!

Something is wrong with the world.
You mean a generic WW2 mod making it into an official product and the mod team turning into a full game development studio and now even acting as a publisher, while such a potentially awesome mod like Infiltration remained being a seven years old UT mod?

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with the world!...

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
i actually do enjoy RO a lot and tbh part of the magic of TTR and INF were the closely knit communities which RO never had, although it is a nicer community than of most fps games.

But i am really looking forward to this one and ill try it out for sure.

For all that its worth: im actually going to host a ttr server this weekend \o/

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Keihas was on point there. Good to see more people there too.

Bah.. Ramm Jaeger has always been too proud to give credit to Inf.