Realistic mods for other games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-RoMe-infers

Nov 12, 2003
Paris
Visit site
Hey ZEEP, where did you read that please?

It seems to me that ACE2 focus on new features instead of fixing CQC issues. SLX tried it but you still can't fight in a house with it, can you?

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Hey ZEEP, where did you read that please?

It seems to me that ACE2 focus on new features instead of fixing CQC issues. SLX tried it but you still can't fight in a house with it, can you?
No what i ment was that they should make the clunky movement less clunky, like i wish they would, not that they have.

PS: Got a link to that SLX feature?

Mifffo

Jan 22, 2004
if you want a warfare simulator i cannot recommend Red orchestra enough, and its mods darkest hour and mare nostrum. They are i dare say better simulators then infiltration.

red orchestra focuses on the eastern ww2 campaign between germany and russia, and the darkest hour focuses on the western campaign where british, canadian and american forces take the fight to the germans. Mare nostrum is the italian and africa campaign.

tank battles are very real, and so are the tanks. one feature which i like is the ability to rest your gun on any surface to give stability. and ofcourse the machine guns which are superb suppresive fire weapons, you do really keep your head down when an mg42 fires at you but it is advisable to watch out for richocheting bullets. The artillery is deffinetly lethal.

plus MGs overheat and the ones that have a barrel change ability in reality also have it ingame.

darkest hour mod is even better then red orchestra, it feels alot like band of brothers.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Though i agree that Red Orchestra and it's mods, Darkest Hour in particular, are good infantry shooters with a lot of nice content, their level of infantry realism is not as high as Infiltration. RO doesn't have bullet penetration (i.e. a small hedge can stop a tank round), extensive loadout possibilities etc.. Suppression is nicely done in RO: DH but i think a similar suppression fx could be coded and added to Inf as a mutator relatively simple too.

But Inf is too old now.. If Infiltration had been ported to UT2K4 i'm sure many more people would still be playing and actively producing community content for it today! :)

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
I really have to say I don't like artificial suppression effects. Having the game mechanics realistic enough already gets the effect - When I see people ignoring suppression in other games it's either because the game has some kind of an exploit, the suppressor has no chance of hitting them or they simply want to die. In Arma 2 it's not a very strong effect but it is still annoying as hell, especially when you can get suppressed by your own bullets if you shoot something close enough to you.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Yes it's true. Games try hard to simulate various aspects of realism while the underlying aspects are not real enough to begin with. Sad for us.

You know i always have to frown a bit when i see mods and games discussing how they are making weapons "balanced" in-game. They all get it wrong. Just model the weapons&rounds like their real life counterparts and have the game balance out itself. I guess it's too difficult to do for many coders ;)

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Mostly they want to balance things by making them symmetric rather than by making them different but balanced. Even if weapon X is better than weapon Y it doesn't mean those who have weapon X are at an advantage, as they could just as well get other non-weapon-related disadvantages, depending on what you actually need to do in the game (for example starting in a less advantageous position).

If one is to make a realistic game, balance needs to be done in the end when it comes to actual gameplay, and not when designing the core game mechanics.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Most "arcade-shooters" implement way too few aspects of weapons.

Stuff like collision-length, bullet-penetration, ironsights, bulk, attachments, single/burst/full-auto etc. is taken into account in very few games.

This way INF weapons balanced themselves, each has its pros and cons.

Hell I miss INF.

P.S. wasn't there a mutator that made it possible to deploy weapons on obstacles like sandbags etc.?

Mifffo

Jan 22, 2004
in red orchestra id say guns are made to be realistical and not balanced, those with MG will certainly score the most kills as it really mows down the troops, if one can find a good spot. it is nearly impossible to advance on an mg from the front. and the kar98 rarely wins in close quarter battles due to its reloading time between each shot (or you need to be a good shot). but a garand with the semi-automatic ability is an acceptable close quarters weapon.

i dont feel that they have balanced the weapons out, id say they tried to make them like their real life counter part. but since its two sides against eachother each with certain number of different roles(weapon and function) available to choose from. so it equals out in the end, since there cant be 1 full team of the same role.

the only bad part is perhaps that red orchestra started out as free but then became a pay game. and i didnt see that much of a difference between the two when red orchestra was first launched as retail. other then that some of the maps i loved had dissapeared. so now i only play the darkest hour mod for it.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
in red orchestra id say guns are made to be realistical and not balanced, those with MG will certainly score the most kills as it really mows down the troops, if one can find a good spot. it is nearly impossible to advance on an mg from the front. and the kar98 rarely wins in close quarter battles due to its reloading time between each shot (or you need to be a good shot). but a garand with the semi-automatic ability is an acceptable close quarters weapon.

i dont feel that they have balanced the weapons out, id say they tried to make them like their real life counter part. but since its two sides against eachother each with certain number of different roles(weapon and function) available to choose from. so it equals out in the end, since there cant be 1 full team of the same role.
Not really. Just have a go with the SMG's and see if you find they react like their real life counterparts. They don't.

the only bad part is perhaps that red orchestra started out as free but then became a pay game. and i didnt see that much of a difference between the two when red orchestra was first launched as retail. other then that some of the maps i loved had dissapeared. so now i only play the darkest hour mod for it.
I personally had no problem with RO going payware.

Mifffo

Jan 22, 2004
in which way do the smgs behave unreal?

no pun intended :)

sure the ones like sten and mp40 are exceedingly bad at medium to long range, but i should think a smg with a short barrel is rather inaccuarate. the STG44 is good at close to medium range which is true to real life. cant recall the goods or bads of the thompson.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
When I last played RO (I admit it's a while back) all SMG's suffered from excessive confire. They were so inaccurate you could miss at ridiculous distances.

But for me at was mostly the WW2 scenario I couldn't stand anymore after playing COD1-3, MoH and alike...

Mifffo

Jan 22, 2004
well, im not entirely sure how accuarate a smg should be, but i imagine not very. the only gun iw shot in real life is the finnish army standard weapon which is basically an ak47, and that is a very accurate weapon however its barrel is much longer then that of an smg. but even if you are in a prone position with the weapon firmly on the ground if you fire full auto only the first round will hit the 1 meter large board that is the target the rest will go far above that and beyond at a distance of 150 meters.

i personally love WW2 games, i dont like the modern combat ones.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
People don't really want realism per say. What they want is "suspension of disbelief". The issue comes from what makes this achievable and what people want out of their game. One of the things that you must bear in mind is that when you ask someone to stop what they are doing and take some special action, like for instance holding the right mouse button to make their onscreen persona aim the weapon and control their breathing, you are asking them to take an action that is totally outside what someone would do in real life. To many people this would seem to break suspension of disbelief because it is so removed from how it would happen in real life. That is to say that to most people clicking a mouse button is not much different than pullling a trigger.

Your average gamer wants to be entertained. The level of realism most really want is on par with World of Warcraft.

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
The average gamer, yeah, but we're not average gamers here, are we?

SMGs are accurate within the ranges they were designed to be used at. Don't expect to hit stuff at 100m with a 9mm, but also missing at 10-20m is quite silly.

Last edited: