PSU/GTX 285 Coil Whine Woes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
A lot of graphic cards do this (yes even some ATI ones), and quite frankly since it's not an actual issue, RMA might not do anything. I heard some PSU do it as well (and in this case it's perhaps NOT normal).
The only solution I've found with my card is to limit the framerate in the games that allow it (or use v-sync which I don't really like in most games). But AFAIK, there's no actual solution to the problem besides pushing your card to its limits by throwing loads of AA, AF and all that.
But the sound does piss me off sometimes, a good example is when I launch Age of Conan : watching the cinematics with that sound if frankly not a pleasure. Because the game doesn't run well enough for v-sync and has no framerate limitation possible either :/

I heard someone who said he solved the issue by changing his motherboard :con: but actually he also changed his psu so how could you be sure... Maybe it's a combination of a specific card + a specific psu (and possibly + a specific mobo) that causes the noise. I'd be interested in knowing more but all I could find on google was some completely contradictory forum talk :(

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I haven't stressed my GTX 280 enough yet to notice this, but I may not notice it over my front fans. I should start to stress it in a week or two and then I'll turn down the fans for a few minutes and listen.