PSN got hacked...and is still down.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
If Sony were less retarded, they'd have realised they can switch to a mirror their servers, make updates, then switch back - noone would ever notice a thing.
Yeah, it would have been so easy to have a redundant back-up for the hardware of the entire global network, but with the updated security measures already pre-installed before the attack on the unsecured network even began!

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
That's not even what I was talking about. I was referring to a generalised update process - the one they were denying was possible without days of downtime, and that every other online service doesn't seem to have the same problems with for that very reason. Live's infrastructure gets big updates all the time, it doesn't mean they have to take the whole thing down, update it, then bring it back online again. They have the updated server-side stuff ready to go and just flick the switch. Down time only occurs when something goes wrong or some aspect of the update process makes it unavoidable.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't really understand why any large service has major outages for maintenance unless there are massive security flaws that they want to avoid until the whole system is updated. It seems to me that Steam ought to be able to take one node down, fix a bunch of issues, and then replicate it to each server so that only two servers are down at any given time and everything else is up. They could even make it so that if your content server is down for some reason, it automatically bumps you over to a different content server.

PSN not having an upgrade path is all kinds of horrible. Even the small company I worked at last year had redundant backups for upgrading.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Apparently in the last ten days, twice as many Ps3s have been traded into stores than the entire of last month.

Half of them have been traded in for 360s.

Instead of trade the thing in, here are 3 things they could have done.

1. Put in fake information(I did this)
2. Use prepaid cards(I will probably start doing this)
3. Use a fake email address to register

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Instead of trade the thing in, here are 3 things they could have done.

1. Put in fake information(I did this)
2. Use prepaid cards(I will probably start doing this)
3. Use a fake email address to register
They can't play online and there is really no telling when they will be able to. On the other hand, 360 has many of the same games and CAN be played online as we speak.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Not PSN related, but it is still about these Anon jerkoffs

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Hacktivist-Anonymous-Eidos-montreal-Deus-Ex-Blackhatcat,news-11191.html

Why do people support these degenerates again?

The thing with Anonymous is, there is no fixed group you can evaluate if they are in line with your morals or not.
Anonymous did the DDOS on the PSN.
Anonymous did the hilarious Scientology protests.
And yet you will run into problems figuring out if there's even a single person who took part in both.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Not PSN related, but it is still about these Anon jerkoffs

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Hacktivist-Anonymous-Eidos-montreal-Deus-Ex-Blackhatcat,news-11191.html

Why do people support these degenerates again?
It honestly doesn't matter, to be honest. It's absolutely ridiculous that these companies have such bad security, such terrible policies and procedures when it comes to this stuff. Regardless of who executed the attack on Sony or Eidos, you can't just blame someone else. Their network was insecure and caused the problem. It is 100% their fault, if not 110%.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'd have to agree, that is pretty damned stupid.

Edit: As an example, at work, all of our source and assets is on an internal network - it's not even accessible via the web...

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole

If Amazon's found to be culpable in this situation, it'll be a hefty PR blow to Amazon's remote servers. Companies are already said to have concerns over such things, and this'll make those worries all the greater. At the very least, it looks like Sony isn't the only company that may need to drastically upgrade its security.
It's a hosted server. What the hell is that dude talking about.