1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PSN got hacked...and is still down.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Trynant, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Yeeesh.

A snippet from a new post from PSN's official blog.

2. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Yep its a bum deal but you know what, its called prepare in case the worst is going to happen. I already changed my emails password and I will be changing my debit card if necessary*

What sucks is that it took so long for Sony to admit that yes information was compromised. How do you not know from the get go?

*means I can track my debit purchases easily and if I notice one erroneous purchase, the thing is getting canceled.

3. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

hmmm

I never connected my PS3 to my network so I never had access to the PSN network, but I did create some PS3 account thingy at the PS website on the comp. I'm not sure if that is what got hacked or not, so should I be worried?

4. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

And I thought GFWL was bad

5. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

Don't get me wrong, this is quite unprofessional from Sony to take this long and I've lost a good deal of trust in them, but that's a pretty big blanket statement to make Crazy. :/

PSN for the last couple of years has been a much better experience than the short hours of GFWL I've had on PC recently. Even in it's (PSN) infancy. And it just had got Steam integrated for the day before it went down... That's in my opinion at least.

Still, I do hope they learn a good deal from this, but I still won't trust them with credit card details and any other sensible information they ask for in the future.

6. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

7. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

It's pretty much unacceptable. Any software engineer knows just how easy it is to protect and encrypt personal information - the right level of encryption will make it practically impossible to obtain the information even if you have the entire database.

The fact that it's taken Sony a full week to admit people have lost their personal details, and the possibility of having lost their bank card details is actually kind of infuriating.

8. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

Sony should be sued for this...

9. Capt.Toilet

This is only the second outage and first major intrusion that PSN has ever had since 2006, I think that is a pretty good track record.

Still though people have a right to be angry and a little weary on what details they put in their account from now on.

10. ambershee

To be honest, I think that's probably just a matter of time.

11. Cr4zyB4st4rd

It wouldn't be surprising, studios and users alike. Sony seems to not care but at the rate this is going they're going to be ****ed.

12. drakon

drakon Introverted™

13. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

14. Cr4zyB4st4rd

15. ambershee

What's most amazing to me, is that 77 million accounts stolen is a metric ****ton of data to steal over a wire.

If one person's account details came to 1 kilobyte of data (pfft, more likely in the megabytes region), that's over 70 gigabytes stolen before anyone even noticed anything was wrong.

16. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling about possibly getting a PS3 down the road.;)

17. Capt.Toilet

18. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

they've had over a week ;)

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

The service has been off for a week. They would have had to collect that data before PSN went down.

20. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

thats just what sony says :p