Proph's Chronicles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
I haven't done a front page commentary in a long time, but since the day is slow and the wife claims she has a headache, I'll post one now.

Yesterday I attended a neighbor's Christmas party. Nothing special, the usual spread of fatty foods and tubs of alcoholic beverages. Sadly, I couldn't drink my fill due to a recent surgery. I'm not stressed about being sober, but at an event with numerous males playing HALO and HALO 2 --gah, what is up with gamers these days?

I'll admit, I'm an Unreal fanboi, but I'm not blind. HALO was a great game during its day, but HALO 2 isn't something I consider great. OK, allow me to take a step back. HALO 2's single player and coop mode is fun, I'll give it props. Yet the multiplayer is dry and reminiscent of the older games where one weapon ruled them all. The rocket launcher and that cool looking blade is way too powerful. Hell, all I did was run around like a hemorrhoid suffering baboon shouting "Highlander" and whipped up on those poor "HALO experts" -- and I suck with the controller! Puh-leese, if you want multiplayer drop HALO 2 and come to the light.

Most HALO fans are at a disadvantage because I've seen and played Unreal Championship 2. You want an XBox multiplayer game, then UC2 is the one. Sure, HALO one and two possesses fun single and coop modes, and for that I'm grateful. However, wait until you played UC2 in true multiplayer format, it crushes HALO one and two like a fat guy sitting on an ice cream cone.

I know this sounds like a fanboi rant, but seriously -- the truth hurts.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I have the Halo 1 PC demo on my computer somewhere, but never tried it. I may try it now though. If UC2 is anything like UT2004, then there's no contest. :D

TyeFang

Ambassador
I had a great time playin Halo 1 co-op. One of the better gaming experiences I have had with a friend around a TV.

It doesn't compare to the fun I have had with multiplayer Unreal Tournament games, of course, and what I have played of UC2 (which I wish to god it was on the PC).

Even that said, I played the UC2 for the first time at the press event in NY (me who does not own an x-box and have used the controller only a few times) and I still beat several of the epic and Atari guys in CTF and DM. :D

I loved the game. It's fast paced, UT quality action with the added up-close-and-personal melee that is well balanced and awesome.

...on that note, I kinda hope whatever new UT-series game will take a few notes from the additions made to UC2.

Last edited:
K

Kain-Xavier

Heh It's funny that you should bring this subject up Prophetus.

I played Halo 2 for the first time today. I did not care for Halo 1 much at all, but I kept an extremely open mind for Halo 2. After about 3 hours of online multi-player though, my opinion wasn't good, and it wasn't swaying either. Anyhow, I came to the realization that what makes or breaks an FPS for me is its weaponry and its freedom of movement. Halo 2 really doesn't deliever well in either category for me. Normally, I'll settle for just one aspect of the two that really shines in a game, but dammit, I want to see both!

I grew up on adventure games; "platformers" to be more specific. I like being able to jump like crazy and have inhuman abilities. That's why several FPS games really pain me because the core skill I require (in my mind) is accuracy. Granted, I can tolerate that pretty well if the weapons are extremely interesting, but I still would prefer the game to put more of a focus on dodging attacks rather than dishing them out as quickly and as accurately as possible. This is what attracted me to the Quake and UT series.

UT had an interesting idea with the dodging system and the weapons were decent, but the Quake series granted more freedom of movement with slightly less interesting weapons in my opinion. However, UT2003 changed all that. Dodging now felt like a well-developed aspect of the game, and the polish of the weapons and the gameplay exceeded that of the Quake series. UC 2 looks like the next step up. I am extremely thankful that Epic and Midway are taking the risk to do what they're doing with Unreal Championship 2. It's a direction I've wanted action/FPS games to take for a long time.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Kain-Xavier, well said. I wasn't a fan of the uber dodging in UT2003. For some reason, it just didn't feel right. Even in UT2004, the dodging felt a bit bland. However, in UC2 the dodging is instantaneous and exciting. Hell, all I wanted to do was dodge around all day. The animations involved everytime I dodged gave me a sense of satisfaction.

Now about weapons. Epic is and has always put serious emphasis on balancing the weapons. Sure, some weapons seem powerful, but they do have their counter parts. In UC2, this is very true. The counter attacks are way cool and has that "in your face" completion if successfully done.

MozTS

Us And Them
Sep 12, 2004
Gather round my children and let me tell you about the wonder that was Multiplayer past.
Sometimes, when I get back from an overly shallow friends house or the **** ball kids that are always making a racket outside my ****ing window yelling about how awesome the new babeblades crap is I go deep into my closet. Behind the mostly broken Super Soaker Monster and next to the failed hoover vaccum cleaner into the box of console Past. Under my old and broken SNES and covered in stacks of the holy Nintendo power lays the former king of cool: The N64. Brushing off the layers of paper, floppy disks and dust the dull grey plastic warms in the light. I reach back into the box for my 2 controllers, some cables and 2 carts.
I then set out into my living room place the ancient relics on the floor infront of the television. Moving back into the kitchen I pull a fresh beer from the fridge and place it on my cluttered coffee table. Kneeling in front of my TV I plug in all the proper attachments and set all the settings. In a series of blowings, smashings, flickings and throws I repeatedly turn on the N64, turn off, remove cart, blow on the cart, and blow on the N64, take a swig of alcohol and place it the cart back into the console. After about 15 minutes the blue screen of my television turns a black, then blue text pops on the screen. The N64 symbol turns from a colour icon to a cold metal... The title Perfect Dark'' rips across the screen. Grabbing my Controller with both hands I select my agent and jump directly into the combat simulator and load up my favourate scenario with simulates or in the case of visitors, handicaps... And the rest is just awesome.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
I played halo 2 the other day, only single player though. It seemed sluggish, unoriginal, boring and didn't look that good either. I dob't see what it is so popular/hyped up, when really it's just an average FPS, and worse than that a FPS that, gameplay wise, is four years old.

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
MozTS said:
Perfect Dark''
+1 Best console (multiplayer) FPS to date. Halo gets way too boring with its cut and paste level design and from most Halo fans I've only heard that Halo1 was better than Halo2 even with its crappy maps.
Perfect Dark still on of the best sequels (sort of) ever released that still managed to surpass all my expectations with all the hype that was going on around it :tup:
There are so many variations for just simple DM - like weapon loadout / Simulants / License to kill with just pistols / get spammy with explosives / disarm enemies and get their screen to blur to death / FarSight and and and and ...
Its just plain fun :)

Last edited:

EvenDarkerBOB

Aug 19, 2004
Pimpage

Kain-Xavier:
if you want freedom of movement...

Scrrreaming for (tribes) vengeance!

Weapons are kind of balanced in it: They are all for different purposes. The disc launcher is for killing enemies :D which is why it is the most used one, not because it is overpowered or anything i think ;)