Proof that gun control works!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Don't worry, Ninjin, your joke was understandable as a joke. Your sense of humor works, it's Ms Shoot-on-sight's sense of humor that is seriously lacking. But nothing surprising, hard disk drives never were famous for their sense of humor.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
I just think that the problem lies elsewhere, we need to change society so that people DON'T feel the need to carry a fire-arm to feel safe!

But maybe that's just an excuse???? Maybe in a "safe" society many people would still carry guns but find another reason for it???

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I just think that the problem lies elsewhere, we need to change society so that people DON'T feel the need to carry a fire-arm to feel safe!
Thats brilliant ... why didn't I think of that?

While we're at it we just need to change the human body so it's impervious to disease and never ages ... that will end human suffering and death.

We need to change the laws of gravity so people don't get hurt when they fall off tall buildings and such.

We need to change the taste of broccoli and brussle sprouts so people will WANT to eat these nutritious foods.

okay, I've pushed it a bit with that last one :p

Grand ideals that the worlds religions have been trying to do for the last 100,000 years or so ... don't see much success there.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
SaraP said:
Let's see...he was following me for at least two blocks and pulled a knife on me. I'm pretty damned sure he wasn't just saying hi.
Funny, you neglected to mention that in your account of the incident. You even called him a would-be mugger.

I think its sad that you have to invent situations like that and post them on the internet to justify your obsession with weapons and violence.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
DamienW said:
Don't worry, Ninjin, your joke was understandable as a joke. Your sense of humor works, it's Ms Shoot-on-sight's sense of humor that is seriously lacking. But nothing surprising, hard disk drives never were famous for their sense of humor.

When have I ever advocated shooting on sight?

My position has always been that all-out lethal force should always be used in a fight, yes, but also that lethal force should *only* be used in defense of oneself or an innocent. In other words, don't fight at all unless the situation is so critical that lethal force is justified, in which case apply lethal force immediately to terminate the threat as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Sweetie, would it kill you to edit your posts instead of reply below yourself all the goddamn time?

edit: Ooh! Ooh! Looky what I done!

edit2: Holy fucking shit! I went 'n done it again!

Last edited:

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
SaraP said:
When have I ever advocated shooting on sight?

My position has always been that all-out lethal force should always be used in a fight, yes, but also that lethal force should *only* be used in defense of oneself or an innocent. In other words, don't fight at all unless the situation is so critical that lethal force is justified, in which case apply lethal force immediately to terminate the threat as quickly and efficiently as possible.

You know, it was an exaggeration. Just like when i compare you to a hard disk drive, i actually don't think you are one (OMG WTFBBQ), even if you share many traits with one. Or when i advise you to shoot yourself with a .45 to test it. Stop faking that you didn't understand that, because you did, unless you aren't as intelligent as you often claim to be.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
DamienW said:
You know, it was an exaggeration. Just like when i compare you to a hard disk drive, i actually don't think you are one (OMG WTFBBQ), even if you share many traits with one. Or when i advise you to shoot yourself with a .45 to test it. Stop faking that you didn't understand that, because you did, unless you aren't as intelligent as you often claim to be.

:rolleyes: It sounded more like a snide remark than a joke. Try using smileys when you're kidding; that's what they're for.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
" Or when i advise you to shoot yourself with a .45 to test it."

Actually, I know a person of questionable intelligence who shot himself, to test his newly purchased TLII vest. Got a trip to the emergency room for his troubles too.

Meplat-

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
Meplat said:
" Or when i advise you to shoot yourself with a .45 to test it."

Actually, I know a person of questionable intelligence who shot himself, to test his newly purchased TLII vest. Got a trip to the emergency room for his troubles too.

Meplat-

Oh, fun. Which reminds me to ask, what's a good inexpensive bulletproof vest? I'm going through EMT training on top of my regular college work (yes, I'm nuts) and we sometimes work in dangerous areas where some ballistic protection would be advisable.

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Actually, hehe, we've tested bean bag and other impact rounds on people wearing IIIA vests. Gotta trust the guy pulling that trigger, huh? ;) Still painful. :lol:

With an inexpensive vest, you are gonna get what you pay for.

I suggest you go to a local law enforcement agency and ask if they happen to have any outdated female vests you can borrow. You'd be surprised what you can find, and what they might lend you, if you explain what you are using it for. Outdated vests doesn't mean they don't work, in some circumstances, the fiber may be a little worn, but it's better than nothing and most of the time better than a cheap vest. It's just a way for the company to put a guarantee on it. Most agencies' labor contracts require current vests, so departments actually usually have some lying around. Besides, a female vest takes into account the, uh, ahem, breast department if you know what I mean.

You should have some time, you won't be doing that much ride time prior to finishing some classroom stuff. But you can get quite a bit in as you prepare for National Registry. I would suggest taking something from the EMS service that is sponsoring you or hosting the class to show the l.e. agency that you are legit and don't need to borrow one to pull off a Hollywood Shootout.

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
If you're going to work it might be better to look into protection in the form of a jacket. Regular vests make it harder to bend your torso, and also hinder lifting things. And of course, it's very uncomfortable if you get sweaty. I should know, I wear a Class II vest (by Pointblank) at work. It's not even heavy work, I handle a car district for a small security company. 12-hour night shifts, ~180 kms driving and a good deal of walking, mostly indoors.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
5eleven said:
You should have some time, you won't be doing that much ride time prior to finishing some classroom stuff. But you can get quite a bit in as you prepare for National Registry. I would suggest taking something from the EMS service that is sponsoring you or hosting the class to show the l.e. agency that you are legit and don't need to borrow one to pull off a Hollywood Shootout.

It's a compressed course -- six weeks from start to finish, and we're halfway through the second week. We're ready for ambulance ride-a-longs with AMR as of last Saturday, and my first one is scheduled for Sunday.

California's not a National Registry state until 2005, so I get grandfathered into National without having to take the test for it -- just the existing state one.

Besides, a female vest takes into account the, uh, ahem, breast department if you know what I mean.

Hmm...ooooh, Second Chance actually makes a vest designed specifically for EMT use! And they've always had male/female versions of their entire product line.

http://www.secondchance.com/prod.asp?action=prod&prodID=27

Last edited:

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
If it's got Zylon in it, run like the wind from it. Zylon materials breaks down within a few months when exposed to heat and humidity, and that's even when you look after it properly. FYI, by heat and humidity, I mean the average temperature and humidity from actually wearing it for a few hours a day breaks it down.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
Material:
PolyDuc

Colors:
Navy, Black, Brown, Wood Cami, Olive, Red

Features:

* Self-contained unit of soft body armor with vital organ coverage in ballistic protection levels IIA, II or IIIA
* Carrier is available in flame resistant Nomex® and PolyDuc® material
* Standard EMT/EMS imprints are available from stock or customized screening can be done at an additional charge
* All white imprint areas contain reflective glass bead for low-light and better night visibility
* Ballistic panels can be removed from the carrier system for laundering

Description:
Second Chance Med Vest armor is the answer to many requests from medical personnel who need ballistic protection when working calls in potentially dangerous areas.

Available Ballistics:
All available Ballistic and Anti-Puncture products.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Sara- Two Words. "Second Chance". Dont be cheap. I've got about 600.00 in one of my armors.(One of the Second Chance spall vests, reinforced with two extra 9 layer 129 panels, both front and back. it's stiff, but amazingly comfortable. ) I'd skip a surplus PASGT, or other military vest, as they're about as flexible as cardboard, and very bulky. Recent Mil armor is VERY effective, but not really intended for civvie use (worn much, for a long time, as opposed to worn much for a short period)

Hit their website, and see what they offer. They custom fit for women as well.

Meplat-

Last edited: