Portal Prelude

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'll have to give this a shot. I never got around to playing the Flash levels that were ported (and I think those are part of the 360 exclusive thingy coming later this year?). Hopefully this will re-invigorate my interest in the game again.

Sabo

Feb 10, 2004
good stuff, completed it today in one session :D

I recommend you read this spoiler, it doesn't really spoil anything just helps the bad level design on the last level.
under the stairs

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'm really stuck on 19 right now. I know what I need to do (because I cheated using sv_cheats 1 and noclip to see the rest of the level) but doing it without cheating is so difficult. I can't even get up to the top platform.

Oh and by the way, I cheated to skip past level 19 to see (and finish) the final boss battle. (I'm still gonna finish it properly, though.) I'm gonna "spoiler" the rest of this text in case people want to go into the ending without having prior expectations or opinions, if they wish...

The final boss battle was pretty lame, tbh. And so was the ending. I don't like the way they ended the story. I was expecting much more out of the ending after all the trouble of getting Anna through all those levels.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
After three minutes of trying to get room two started, I quit.

I don't even think I did the first room properly. It's only by sheer luck that I managed not to get killed by the turrets and was thus able to knock them all over.

Conceptually speaking, the first room having instant death via multiple turrets makes for a terrible prelude. He probably should have kept it as a "new maps" mod rather than try to further the story. D:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I'm on chamber 19, I'm gonna stop there for a bit.

the first three levels are the most boring, and the most annoying. afterwards it's a blast !

much harder, but it's really fun when you get the solution.

PS : there's a "window" from which you can hear a guy and a woman moaning in a quite explicit way. I can't remember which room it is, but it made me lol.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Here's a hint for you guys getting stuck on Room 02 or 03 because their jumps aren't quite making it: Turn off Portal Funnel in the Options. While it makes it easier to make it through portals on the floor, it will also slow you down a bit. (There are times where Portal Funnel is better to be on, though, so you'll probably have to experiment a bit.) And don't forget to crouch in mid-air, particularly in Room 03, because your flings will go farther.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I was stuck on 2 & 3 for a bit too, until I realised I wasn't holding forward & crouch all the time.
Haven't needed to uncheck funneling as yet.
Currently on lvl 9 iirc.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
A sad thing that I will not play the later levels. I ended up getting stuck on the first level and after dying several dozen times I decided that this was just not fun. Byebye mod.

Anisotonic

Jan 21, 2008
Montréal
i'll bet that the ending is the gassing of the employees

how professional would you rate the mod?, like, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being a valve game and 1 being a console (or whatever) game

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
A sad thing that I will not play the later levels. I ended up getting stuck on the first level and after dying several dozen times I decided that this was just not fun. Byebye mod.

Step through the portal & immediately stick one on the wall behind the turrets step back through & you're behind them. Knock em over [careful] & head to the exit.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
After three minutes of trying to get room two started, I quit.

I don't even think I did the first room properly. It's only by sheer luck that I managed not to get killed by the turrets and was thus able to knock them all over.

Conceptually speaking, the first room having instant death via multiple turrets makes for a terrible prelude. He probably should have kept it as a "new maps" mod rather than try to further the story. D:

I was unimpressed through the first few levels, then it started to get pretty good. I don't like the timed puzzles as much but there are a few "oh wow" parts that have made it worth my time. I think I'm in the middle of 15 at the moment.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Yeah, an official video walkthrough got posted recently. I think they said something about how many solutions people were posting in the forums were more complex than they had to be.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Stuck in room 17 now.
Not so much stuck, actually ... just stopped playing because it was 4 am;)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
woot, finished it !

room 19 isn't that hard. once you get what has to be done, it's just a matter of time. :)

I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I did. :D
I even mailed the devs to show my appreciation ! :) (unprecedented)