Petition for addition of more UT Classic maps at FragBU

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Yeah... we already have Lucius, Romra, and Lavagiant. Remakes aren't all bad ;)

Just try to have your picks by tomorrow afternoon so we can get the FragBU thread started with DL links to the maps so everyone has enough notice to download them.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Turns2Ashes said:
I haven't come across many remakes that weren't crapass, so don't include me on this "petition." I've played some okay ones, but does that warrant them being put on the server? No. We have enough unplayed maps that were actually designed for UT2004, rather than remake "scale and pray," on the Mo'ship as it is. :B

Teddie's Deck17 is probably about as good as a remake will ever get, and all anyone does is complain about it. :rolleyes:
Hey, weren't you the guy asking to put a certain remake of a quake3 map on the mothership? :con:

Downloaded Agony some months ago: that is one schweet map. Certainly one of the best made remakes I've played :tup:

EDIT: due to some unforseen circumstances I didn't expect, I had some time to look through the levels. Here are my 14 cents on the levels (2 for each):

* CTF-Hydro_Bases, CTF-OrbitalStation2k4 and DM-Conveyor2k4 are straight conversions, scaled about right. Nostalgics among us forgive the absence of static meshes and terrible lightning, and pick up the gameplay where they left it in UT99. To UT2004 standards, they are below average. IMO, they shouldn't be added.
* DM-StalwartXLClassic is how a conversion should be done: made from scratch and build up with great detail for the little things. However: Stalward is a level with close to 0 z-axis, so there won't be much difference in fights. The fact that the max player amount is 16 also adds to my decision not to add this to the server
* DM-Turbine2004-TE is also a great remake. It plays out great, probably even if you never played UT99 before. It can be added without question
* I don't know why the UT99 remakes site hosts DM-Liandri_v02 instead of DM-Liandri2004, but one thing is certain: Liandri2004 is much better than the cramped _v02...though the theme reminds somewhat of DM-CBP2-Koma
*...and then there's the case of DM-Agony(DSRemix). When digging up the version I had before, it appeared to be a different version of the map, namely DM-Agony][, by Xxyz. It's about though about 90% the same as Dark_Pulse's, but neither readme file mentions the other version. :eek:
And as hard as it is to tell, the 10% difference makes it a better map (awesome music, and a link gun instead of a classic sniper rifle on the razorblade spot)

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Hmm, he might have ripped it. Oh well, his is for 2k3, and suckier IMO, so he can have it. ;p

Just remember, mine has the Better Story and background. And you have no idea how bad I wanted a Ripper in there, but I couldn't pack up Chaos UT's CUTTER standalone, and Fraghouse's Ripper isn't quite up to snuff (Can we get a New Ammo pickup mesh, please?)

I might update the map though, especially if anyone can tell me a better weapon to put in the Former Ripper spot. I don't want to reuse anything already in the level, which is tough, since nearly everything IS in the level. :/ Thus, the LtG.

I had thought about Spider mines, but dissuaded myself. I might just decided on Sticky Grenades, perhaps...

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
So I've noticed...Unfortunately, most people never read the story in the first place.
As such, music and lightning make up a better part of the mood.

Agony was IMO the only map where the ripper was the best weapon of choice, mostly for the large windows that allowed for great shots. The map just play the same now :(

Nice new avatar, by the way :)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
shadow_dragon said:
I know i don't get on FragBu often but due to the tourney i looked into the required downloads for Fragbu. You want More maps, i'm onyl halfway through and that's only because i happened to have the larger packs already!
(time to start some controversy)
Nah, we don't want new maps. We just want to have a big custom map list to the server, because then we get the feeling the administrators actually listen to our demands.
In the end, we're still voting for the same maps for about 80% of the time, so don't worry about having all maps installed for the tourney.
Oh, and we can't remove any maps, because you know... someday... somewhere... we might actually vote for that map, play an unbalanced game on it, and forget about it for the next few months.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Taleweaver said:
Hey, weren't you the guy asking to put a certain remake of a quake3 map on the mothership? :con:
Oh yeah. How could I forget my favorite DM map... I was referring to UT conversions though, which excludes the Campgrounds. Not to mention, everyone else agreed because the map clearly whoops ass. :p

Then again, I don't usually download UT conversions because I usually see them and go "Dammit, people. Make your own damn maps!" so I haven't really come across any good UT remakes that I play consistently. IIRC, there's only one: one of the DM-Malevolence remakes. Not sure which one it is, but it's Rankin-themed and really wide open because it was built from scratch with UT2004 movement in mind, rather than the "scale and pray" construction I mentioned earlier, and it has added things like dodge-up places. I probably also play this one because the bot pathing sucked, so I completely redid it, so now the bots actually put up a good fight. :)

But yeah, Tale is referring to something very valid. There are a lot of maps on the Mo'ship, but we hardly play any of them. In fact, I'm thinking about uninstalling CBP2 because we never play anything from it since most of the maps are DM and almost everyone on FragBU hates DM it seems, and the redirect server can blast a map to me in a few seconds. CBP2 is something like 600 MB and really all you need from it is Achilles and Decadence. :lol:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Turns2Ashes said:
Oh yeah. How could I forget my favorite DM map... I was referring to UT conversions though, which excludes the Campgrounds. Not to mention, everyone else agreed because the map clearly whoops ass. :p

Then again, I don't usually download UT conversions because I usually see them and go "Dammit, people. Make your own damn maps!" so I haven't really come across any good UT remakes that I play consistently. IIRC, there's only one: one of the DM-Malevolence remakes. Not sure which one it is, but it's Rankin-themed and really wide open because it was built from scratch with UT2004 movement in mind, rather than the "scale and pray" construction I mentioned earlier, and it has added things like dodge-up places. I probably also play this one because the bot pathing sucked, so I completely redid it, so now the bots actually put up a good fight. :)

But yeah, Tale is referring to something very valid. There are a lot of maps on the Mo'ship, but we hardly play any of them. In fact, I'm thinking about uninstalling CBP2 because we never play anything from it since most of the maps are DM and almost everyone on FragBU hates DM it seems, and the redirect server can blast a map to me in a few seconds. CBP2 is something like 600 MB and really all you need from it is Achilles and Decadence. :lol:
And Brassed.