[PC] Half-Life 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Mr.Magnetichead said:
The masses don't like people with ideas.
The masses don't like someone who believes themselves unique and visionary, yet who is too stubborn to realize he may be slightly wrong. Or someone who believes that he's always being attacked for being new, while not being open minded enough to look at other ideas.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Synastren said:
The masses don't like someone who believes themselves unique and visionary, yet who is too stubborn to realize he may be slightly wrong. Or someone who believes that he's always being attacked for being new, while not being open minded enough to look at other ideas.

Syn. I love you. :fluffle: You said exactly what needed to be said.

EDIT: On another note. I can't believe a thread that was just for a game is being turned into a flamefest. Nice work there sir!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
I have no problem with be slightly wrong, however the people in this thread have reacted in a way that suggests they think every word of my theory is trash without offering any of their own ideas and theories.

Other ideas? What other ideas? None of them have offered other ideas. If they had we could have had a conversation but it seems they just like to bitch. They are the worse kind of critic.

Hemingway once said "Critics are the kinds of men who will watch a battle from a high place and then come down to shoot the survivors."

Last edited:

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Mr.Magnetichead said:
I have no problem with be slightly wrong, however the people in this thread have reacted in a way that suggests they think every word of my theory is trash without offering any of their own ideas and theories.

Other ideas? What other ideas? None of them have offered other ideas. If they had we could have had a conversation but it seems they just like to bitch. They are the worse kind of critic.

Hemingway once said "Critics are the kinds of men who will watch a battle from a high place and then come down to shoot the survivors."
You made your theory; the general forum public rejected it (your evidence was null at the link between Oppenheimer and the Philadelphia Experiment).
That, to me, seems to be the end of the story.

Your theory was tried, and for the most part rejected. If you'll read, you'll find that some find some merit in your Oppenheimer -> GMan argument; it's the Manhattan Project -> Philadelphia Experiment that brings up the problem.

Personally, I don't see what you think everyone has against you, but I can tell you what irks everyone about you: you take everything personally, and then make huge, arrogant, and sometimes melodramatic statements.

Mr.Magnetichead said:
The masses don't like people with ideas.

That is the most arrogant thing I've read on the boards for a long, long time. So, people don't agree with your link between Oppenheimer and the Philadelphia Experiment. If it were me, I'd defend my point in one or two posts, and move on; you should have, as well. But, instead, you got into a minature flamewar with everyone who didn't see things as you did (read: most everyone who posted), via insults and such, and as a result, you were flamed in kind. Instead of taking it as a matter of course (really! What did you expect?!), you make this huge "woe is me, the forums hate me because I'm different" post.

It gets old, man. Quit thinking you're on a pedastal, and think about what you're saying and contributing, so you bloody well know what's going to happen, instead of acting surprised at being persecuted in a manner you feel is wholy unfair.

[edit] Just so you know, I'm not trying to be an arrogant prick. But really. If you're going to insult people, you should be ready to be insulted in kind. If you hadn't been such an arse, chances are you wouldn't have been insulted. If you had approached this with the idea that "Well, maybe I should clarify," or "Maybe I should just move on," then thing would have been cleaner. Hell, if you did that, you may even find yourself somewhat liked around here. If you weren't so vitrolic, perhaps people would even come to your aid. Who knows?[/edit]

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
Sarcasm doesn't translate well online it seems.

"The masses don't like people with ideas." wasn't a quote that was to be taken seriously, if it had been a political situation I probably would have said something along the lines of 'People don't like those that rage against the machine.' It's not to be meant to be taken seriously. It was a derogative comment.

I think that's the problem here, people don't know that my character is a bitter and sarcastic one. If you take that into account when you read most of my posts you should hopefully tap into that and my posts will be much easier to swallow.

Last edited:

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Mr.Magnetichead said:
Sarcasm doesn't translate well online it seems.
That's what emoticons are for. And the bitterness was apparent; the sarcasm was not. Sarcasm notwithstanding, you seem like a bitter angsty EMO band, nearly.

Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
Synastren said:
That's what emoticons are for. And the bitterness was apparent; the sarcasm was not. Sarcasm notwithstanding, you seem like a bitter angsty EMO band, nearly.

Far from it. I'm just a heavy smoking blues fan who listens to too much stand up comedy and takes way too much pleasure in poking people.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
BobCobb said:
Man Synastren said it best. You lose.
Speaking of arrogance...

I wasn't trying to be an ass. I was merely being observant. You've been as bad as Magnetichead, but less sarcastic and more inflamatory. While his getting flamed seemed like oversight, you getting flamed seemed purposeful. Don't think that I'm jumping on the recent "Hate Magnetichead!" bandwagon.

I was merely trying to help a poster get somewhat acclimated and/or understand or be understood.

Look. Let's get off of flaming the hell out of one another and get with the Halflife 2 thread, eh? Flaming is tiring and has no place here; there's no sense in getting a good thread locked.

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
I may be rude and occasionally derogatory to some members whom I disagree with, but I don't think its much worse than the comments that Magnethead makes. And as far as me being "inflammatory", I don't quite understand this one. Is it because I have very strong opinions you don't necessarily agree with, and I tend to make "shocking" statements about these opinions? Sure some comments I make, like the above, may be worthless to the debate at hand but that in essence was completely retarded, So I had no reason to take any of it seriously., but . I'm sorry I don't bend over and take whatever anyone says with kind words of encouragement. I may be "arrogant" or however you chose to put it, but I'm no "holier than thou". :rolleyes:

Anyways, HL2 Rox My Sox!!!

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Like I've said before, alot of us remember the posts Magnetichead has made before that were all mysteriously deleted after he got called on numerous things. The most ridiculous of which was him posing as an Epic employee. Don't bother denying it, we practically all remember.

edit: as an aside, a number of his posts were lost in the forum crash.

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
Mister, lying is wrong. Jesus looks down on those liars and sends them to hell. There, they are exposed to many torturous tasks on their supple human flesh. Whichever one of you is lying will enjoy these tasks thoroughly.

[Infomercial]Unless YOU join the Roman Catholic Church!!! Yes, thats right, for one soul we give you a cracker which will send you to a place where you are high constantly(HIGH on GOD that is!). All you have to do is join our army and fight the heathens! Then bath in some water and eat crackers. If your catholic you can even get drunk, and still not go to hell!!! What a deal![/Infomercial]

Sorry bout that post... kinda lost control...