Official NC UT2004 demo thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
Ictus said:
yo, does darth weasel still post here?

i saw a darth weasel on a rankin server tonight and was wondering

hmm must be another darthweasel, the only server i played on tonight was an ONS-torlan one, and quit after about 5 minuites due to not being able to hit a thing due to lag.

or is that a convenient excuse... ;)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Its very different from 2k3.

DM and TDM is really bad. Still slow as hell. At least the dodge is worth using now.

Onslaught is fun. Destroying vehicles is the best part.

The jeep sucks. No weapons. WEEEEWWW Fear my nasty dirty horn that will kill you if you get to close. The rest of the vehicles are easy to control.

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
OO7MIKE said:
Its very different from 2k3.

DM and TDM is really bad. Still slow as hell. At least the dodge is worth using now.

I dunno mike I have a load of fun with UT2004 deathmatch. IMO it has incredibly fast paced precision movement, and I find myself attempting very advanced moves that require a great deal of execution that I could never attempt in UT1. I have been playing UT2004 for about 2-3 months now, along with about 9 other really good players (LAN) and we all really enjoy it, and most of us date back to UT1 days.

Some of the battles I have had in the demo alone are amazingly refreshing. I was playing 1on1 DM on rankin with a guy who was a shockwhore, and the counters both of us were pulling off were crazy. Detonating eachothers shock balls simultaneously while double dodging accross platforms and switching to flak midair to flush an opponent through a certain doorway, leading corners with shockballs then double dodging to catch up, I could keep goin on. Not to mention how you can fool people by double dodging right past them and spinning around midair with flak from behind.

Give UT2004 a chance!

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
OO7MIKE said:
heh, I cant drive and shoot?

if you can get somebody with really good aim into your vehicle and can generally predict what target they are going after, you can heat straight towards it or try to adjust to the angle at which the target is moving and together be a pretty badass little squad. I find it a great way to get 2 or 3 people over to a point to begin attacking. Jeep does the smashing, turret does the precision stuff

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
darth_weasel said:
hmm must be another darthweasel, the only server i played on tonight was an ONS-torlan one, and quit after about 5 minuites due to not being able to hit a thing due to lag.

or is that a convenient excuse... ;)

Another darth weasel eh? Unlikely, you must be lying! I call your bluff! out with it man!

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Lan is always fun. YOu could be playing anything and it woud be fun. Hell Tribes 2 might actually be fun.

It's been said before...but for the sake of topic i will say it again:

Fire up Q3 or UT1...play a few rounds. Then fire up UT2k4 and play......or just turn off view bob. View bob makes you think your going somewhere. meh....your just bobbing twice as fast.

It takes forever to get from one part of the map to another. Strafing doesnt give you the sense of evasion that UT1 does. I feel just as much of a sitting duck as I do in 2k3.

The action is faster...but still not fast enough.

Onlsaught is fun. It has enough carnage to get me going....though its really slow paced until you get at least 15 players on the server. 24 players is more like it. I wish there could be more, I like the chaos.

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
OO7MIKE said:
Lan is always fun. YOu could be playing anything and it woud be fun. Hell Tribes 2 might actually be fun.

It's been said before...but for the sake of topic i will say it again:

Fire up Q3 or UT1...play a few rounds. Then fire up UT2k4 and play......or just turn off view bob. View bob makes you think your going somewhere. meh....your just bobbing twice as fast.

It takes forever to get from one part of the map to another. Strafing doesnt give you the sense of evasion that UT1 does. I feel just as much of a sitting duck as I do in 2k3.

The action is faster...but still not fast enough.

Onlsaught is fun. It has enough carnage to get me going....though its really slow paced until you get at least 15 players on the server. 24 players is more like it. I wish there could be more, I like the chaos.

Are you double dodging or just single dodging? I dont think I ever single dodge, you cover a MUCH bigger area while double dodging. In fact I dont think I am ever NOT double dodging. My feet probably are on the ground for less than a minute after a regular 10 minute match, lol. I use it as a way to traverse the map faster. You kinda run diagonal and dodge to whichever side you are favoring atm.

as far as the game being LAN, we are all in separate offices so I dont think the point you are going for applies to this case, unless you are talking about lag being an issue, which I have not discovered during demo play.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Well I've played several hours of Torlan from work and probably would still be there if it wasn't my night to bring home dinner :p
1st complaint would be the pings from the master server are off. I join a 45 and end up with 650 , talk about lag! I bounced around a bit till I landed a sub 100. I still mistook my team for the enemy, guess the weapon borders really are my team color eh?
I'm sorry to see Dragonmoon didn't make "demo". I'll have a look at the rest of the maps tonight just after I install it here at home.
Oh yea, nice touch the microphone. It worked right off the bat without configuring anything other than the toggle key :tup: I know CliffyB has been wanting this in game for some time, atleast according to an interview I read a while back.
Don't suppose the editor works for the demo...

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
OO7MIKE said:
Double dodge?
Is that like hitting strafe 3 times in a row?

no, you dodge and then jump, giving you additional boost in whatever direction. That is how you go up those angled metal slats in dm-rankin. You have to double dodge perpendicular to it, and you will slide up to the second level. There are several of them throughout the level, and they are awesome :D

here is one on the left
Shot001.jpg

that screen is just something i found online somewhere :p

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Ictus said:
I doubt it :) People will also have a very hard time trying to port UT2004 maps into Ut2003 because static mesh collision code has been re-written and the packages are incompatible, thank god.

You mean vehicles will move with lifts? Karma actors won't float into terrain?, particles won't pass through static meshes? and you can have convex collision bodies? :p

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
Twrecks said:
You mean vehicles will move with lifts?

lol I haven't seen a lift in an ONS map yet.

Twrecks said:
Karma actors won't float into terrain?

Errr depends more on the actual karma and collision properties of the mesh

Twrecks said:
particles won't pass through static meshes?
This has always been avoidable by turning on collision for particles, it's just that its expensive for the CPU, and unreal is already CPU bound, blah.

Twrecks said:
and you can have convex collision bodies? :p
the new code is so much faster that you can afford per poly collision alot easier. Not that it would be a good practice to stop using simplified collisions, since they remove snags. but you always could have convex collision bodies, you just have to know the method to create them.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Ictus said:
here is one on the left
Shot001.jpg

that screen is just something i found online somewhere :p

ah great, the lightning gun, I guess ut2004 will suck after all.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Ictus said:
there is also the sniper rifle, you can select which one, and select your servers accordingly. i however prefer the LG over the sniper by a great deal :sniper:
so they dumbed the sniper rifle down? :(
they should rename the unreal series to "Generic Sci-Fi Tournament2004"
I am so missing the ut1 days, what a shame that I didnt had a flatrate throughout the ut time...

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Thanks for the retort Ictus.
I know the Flamethrower in XMP passes through Karma actors, which is interesting. The only way I could get Vehicles to work with lifts is if they moved continuously. Tricky to make players do or parked vehicles. Guess "static" karma collisions aren't far enough up the processing que.

Balton, I saw the comeback Sniper Rifle in the weapon line up for UT2k3 demo. I was dissapointed because the lightning gun took its place in Torlon and they put a deemer somewhere (gotta find out where). I am also pissed about the reskinned Shock rifle. Okay, I'm glad they did away with the "laser" sight, but a whole revamp? If anything the old ASMD from U1 was the bomb with its gaseous cooling blasts. On the server, both the lightning gun and Plasma rifle had simplified rendered shots that where drastically different from the 1st person view, weird. However you have to love the Ben Hur sclyths on the buggy :tup: