Official bot config menu whine thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Signed!

+ The "Free roam" command like in UT2004 so when I'm playing TDM I don't have botsticks on my ass 24/7. Same on the opposite team. Thanks StevePolge if you ever care about this..

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Signed!

+ I want the auto-assing command like in UT2004 so when I'm playing TDM I don't have botsticks on my ass 24/7. Same on the opposite team. Thanks StevePolge if you ever care about this..

Indeed, allways having a bot glued to your arse gets very tiresome, i have been playing FPS games since Wolf3D, i don't need a crutch, nor do i want one.

This is also important for thouse of us who want to setup good CTF matches, having an inapropriate amounts of bots on guard duty versus roaming either leads to stalemates, or a cakewalk, neither are desireable, ergo the need to adjust the bots default orders.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
And there it goes again. :rolleyes:

For me UT3 is truly the most enjoyable UT game in offline mode yet, even with campaign...so for me their promises were TRUE.

I don't care of this bot config etc seriously.....I like it the way it is, it exactly matches my needs.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Is this guy real?

And there it goes again. :rolleyes:

For me UT3 is truly the most enjoyable UT game in offline mode yet, even with campaign...so for me their promises were TRUE.

I don't care of this bot config etc seriously.....I like it the way it is, it exactly matches my needs.

Of course this is sarcastic. Internets.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
For me UT3 is truly the most enjoyable UT game in offline mode yet.

This argument does not seem to make any logical sense Leo, UT3 has not added anything at all to instant action, it has only taken quite a few things away from it, everything you can do in UT3 you could also do in all past versions of the game.. so how can it be better if it is the same, just with fewer options?

I suspect what you really mean is that you enjoy the core gameplay of UT3 more, but that is an entirely different issue, and has nothing to do with the interface or its options, it is not relavent to this thread.

And besides that, who said only you should be happy with this game? am i not just as entiteled to enjoy it as you are? and how could you possibly be hurt in any way by the addition of some more options you can freely ignore if you wish to do so?

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Good thread. And I have to agree with Grobut 100% as he speaks for more than just himself.

When you remove configurable bot options from UT3, you remove many players from the game. Like it or not, many are not going to put up with it. Configurable bot options has always been a staple of the UT series. There's no excuse for it not being in UT3 at the present time.

Fact is, when you start eliminating off-line players, you also eliminate potential mappers, model & texture artists, etc. The UT3 community is too sparse as it is to be eliminating anyone.

As for MapMixer, Sinx has posted at the official forums that he does intend to update it for the Titan Bonus pack & he's already making adjustments to it for the patch.

It's great that Sinx did put configurable bot options into MapMixer, but it should've been an option in the regular UT3 UI, at least by now.

Last edited:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
This argument does not seem to make any logical sense Leo, UT3 has not added anything at all to instant action, it has only taken quite a few things away from it, everything you can do in UT3 you could also do in all past versions of the game.. so how can it be better if it is the same, just with fewer options?

I suspect what you really mean is that you enjoy the core gameplay of UT3 more, but that is an entirely different issue, and has nothing to do with the interface or its options, it is not relavent to this thread.

UT3 is better than the previous UTs, even offline.
The bots play a lot better. They use strategies in DM that I've never seen in the previous games, like holding behind a corner.
Overall I must say the AI is better, still not perfect as it suffers from some bugs that I hope will be fixed with the next patch. The most important, they don't focus on attacking the powercore when it's vulnerable.

I'd really like to see a bot roster exactly like the UT2004 one.
But as for customizing bots, I couldn't care less tbh :)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
UT3 is better than the previous UTs, even offline.
The bots play a lot better. They use strategies in DM that I've never seen in the previous games, like holding behind a corner.
Overall I must say the AI is better, still not perfect as it suffers from some bugs that I hope will be fixed with the next patch. The most important, they don't focus on attacking the powercore when it's vulnerable.

Again this is related to gameplay and not the interface, and besides that, it is debatable, whilst UT3 bots do better in some cases, they are also worse in others (like their uncanny abillity to see through walls, and their godlike reaction time, and maybe its just me, but they seem to totally disregard any order you give them).

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Yes, they disregard orders (at least online) and they have even the other problems you said.

Sadly UT3 is not primarily thought for offline playing, I've even opened a topic here months ago.

But still, it's a lot more fun to play offline IMHO.

I remember the original UT99 bots that were totally unable to use the RL, you could 0wn a divine bot in Morbias pretty easily (as long as he didn't run out of rockets, with enforcer they were deadly)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
But still, it's a lot more fun to play offline IMHO.

You are entitled to your opinion and i wont try to disuade you, but the point with the menu's is that it only pleases one group of players, namely thouse who happen to like botmatches in the exact way the game sets them up now, for thouse of us who want something different, like uneven teams for instance, it just doesen't do the job, it is not flexible in any meaningfull way like past games where.

Ultimately, the point here is the one brdempsey69 touched upon, UT3 is needlessly turning away players, who are not happy with the way this works, and if there's one thing this game (not to mention the franchise as a whole) cannot afford, it is to turn away players.

And all they need do to stop this is bringing the menu's up to 2k4 standards, we're talking about adding a few checkboxes, and deviding red and blue team up into sepperate catagoeris, and adding a little picture besides the bots name, this is nothing huge, surely it is worth doing to please all the offline players out there.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
You are entitled to your opinion and i wont try to disuade you, but the point with the menu's is that it only pleases one group of players, namely thouse who happen to like botmatches in the exact way the game sets them up now, for thouse of us who want something different, like uneven teams for instance, it just doesen't do the job, it is not flexible in any meaningfull way like past games where.

Ultimately, the point here is the one brdempsey69 touched upon, UT3 is needlessly turning away players, who are not happy with the way this works, and if there's one thing this game (not to mention the franchise as a whole) cannot afford, it is to turn away players.

And all they need do to stop this is bringing the menu's up to 2k4 standards, we're talking about adding a few checkboxes, and deviding red and blue team up into sepperate catagoeris, and adding a little picture besides the bots name, this is nothing huge, surely it is worth doing to please all the offline players out there.

So true

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com

Leo is happy. Close thread.

But seriously, why are people who don't care about this in the first place coming in here and saying UT3 doesn't need it, and is fine without it? Flies in the face of the many people who do care about this.

Again.. it just seems fundamentally wrong, not having things like selecting bots per team, and in-turn the ability to have uneven teams. So easy to implement etc.. I already said my piece earlier.. blah blah

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site

Couldn't agree more, and like yourself, I will not accept the statement made by many "Epic has bigger fish to fry". Those who subscribe to that theory are under-estimating the size of the fish that we are discussing about.

Personally, for me, UT3 collected dust for over a year, until configurable bot options were put into MapMixer, plus using his mutator will cycle a different group of bots with each map change, whereas the stock game doesn't, it loads the same bots with each map change, and won't change them, unless you shut the game down and restart it.

Also, if people don't enjoy playing UT3 offline, what are chances that they will ever try playing online, even if online play is a whole different scenario?

Jane's_Addiction-

Nov 28, 2008
UT3 needs not only bot manager.. ut3 was step backward from ut99 and ut2k4. in many ways from the server broswer, to the GUI, to team customization, etc. I'm a competitve player at heart, and I've played with the best there is in these series. However, the most fun I've had was playing bot matches with custom models, and making my own teams. It was like creating your own game.. I loved being able to put 2 teams together in a CTF match and watch them go at it. now I can't even do that because there is not spectator button for offline. Call me noob all you want, I don't care
sometimes, when I don't feel like playing with people, and deal with all the drama, and I want to play ut, I fire an botmatch, now I'm sad to say I barely enjoy that in ut3.

Last edited:

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Once again so true. Very good post.

If I had good english I whould make a very long list, of thing's that are super bad, for the offline player's

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
And add to this, the 2.0 patch removed the global player taunts from the game. This makes no sense to me, at all.

Now, if you play a botmatch, there's almost nothing but dead air.

Sh!tcanned patch 2.0 and went back to 1.3 with Map Mixer.