Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Great shots Mike :tup:. Any story behind the kilt and green ties?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Great shots Mike :tup:. Any story behind the kilt and green ties?

His family is from Scotland! It's always a pleasure to be at a wedding with Scotsmen. Unfortunately I never got to meet much of his family. It was back to back chaos with 250-300 guests! We had a lot of fun and everyone was super nice.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I watched the documentary and he really could have cut out the intro. It really had nothing to do with the rest of the film. I was also was turned off by his snobbery (mostly from the trailer) towards digital photography. I believe the format is unimportant, only the results. Choose what ever format works best for you and for the job you are working on. I'm at a place in my photography work where brand of camera, type of camera and format mean very little to me. The knowledge of knowing what camera and lenses will give you the right look for the job is always important but the entire concept of brand loyalty only places limits on yourself.

With the exception of camera phones, I agree with you. I don't care how you get it, just as long as you do. Camera phones are garbage though. I have recently been really turned off by all the camera apps for smartphones. Everything looks the same and boring.

His criticisms about telephoto lens users seemed aimed towards other street photographers. If not.. he is very wrong. To me, I don't use a telephoto lens primarily to get closer to my subjects. Use your feet and get closer to your subject. I use a telephoto lens to flatten out features and to selectively blur the background. Again the primary purpose of a specific lens changes as you enter different types of photography.

It looks like he has found his niche, style and a customer base. It seams to be working for him. As an artist I can respect it and I understand that very little matters beyond that point.

He's referring to street photography. I don't really agree with him there. Here in Tokyo there are a ton of street photographers and I have seem some long lens shots that are nice, but many of them end up looking the same. (pretty girl going about her day) I agree with him it feeling a bit perverse. I tried it a few times and I always feel more wrong. I feel a lot better if I get close. It takes more balls, but you don't feel like a dirty perverse in the end, and I think those shots start to look more interesting as well.

Keep in mind that I don't agree with everything he says, but he's a fun guy to hang and shoot with and as you said he has his own style. I do agree with him some on on the Fujifilm x100 and x10. I hope those cameras work more as a doorway to film photography rather than a cheap way around it.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
With the exception of camera phones, I agree with you. I don't care how you get it, just as long as you do. Camera phones are garbage though. I have recently been really turned off by all the camera apps for smartphones. Everything looks the same and boring.

I agree with you there. The sensor size is so small that it is just pure luck to get a shot where nothing is over exposed or under exposed. There just isn't enough dynamic range in those things to do much. I watch people pull out their cell phones to take a picture of the sun rising. The scene looks beautiful, they take a photo then they look at it and wince. They try once more and again are disappointed. Finally they text their friends, "hey did you see that sunrise, its so beautiful, I tried to take a photo but it didn't turn out right."

You can of course get great results using studio hot lights with modifiers. Of course hiring a professional photo retoucher helps. Still any $150+ point and shoot camera will do better than your iPhone.

Despite the popularity, I think Instagram is crap but a necessary evil. I do understand that the average user likes LoFi over contrasty/processed photos because its cool. They feel it's different from the usual photographs that they see and that's fine. What else are you going to do with cell phone photos? They are inherently crappy and they need over the top filters to make them look interesting.

Let me be clear about one thing: I can never fault a person for enjoying the photo taking and sharing process.

Technology is getting better though. It wont be long before we have 20d image quality in our cell phones. Ok yes, it will be about 5-10 years from now. Who is up for that bet? :)

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Various wedding shots
I like No.1 a lot.

I felt No. 2 didn't work. The reason that I say that is the lighting on the couple. To my eye, it made them stand out from the background in way that looked as though they had been green-screened or superimposed on a "stock" background.

No.5 was cool. I'm not a great fan of the kilt (as in, would not be seen dead wearing...) despite its popularity around here. Mostly because I think it relates to a fake history. Fine if you are from the Highlands but for the bulk of the population in Scotland, it's a bit like saying that the whole of the USA should adopt New Hampshire's traditional dress for ceremonial occasions.

That said, the kilt worked here.

Bonus marks for getting golf into the mix. :)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
After using great google+, you should know it's "hung out" and not "hanged out", silly BBA.

And that guy in the middle has horns, holy ****.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
As a native English speaker I can tell you that "to hang" or just "hanged" with someone is slang for having hung out.
@Rambojo: Since English is not your native tongue, your preferred construction is the one to choose when in doubt. It might not be the colloquial choice but it will usually be accepted as "correct".

In the circles that BBA moves, his choice of slang might well be accepted usage (nothing wrong with that) but I am not convinced that it is a widespread usage.

Full marks to BBA for brazen cheek in claiming that his was an accepted usage! :)

Interesting photo BBA. Without knowing that you had taken it recently, I would have dated somewhere between 1968-73 (although the colour rendition might have made me wonder if it had been restored.)

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
@Rambojo: Since English is not your native tongue, your preferred construction is the one to choose when in doubt. It might not be the colloquial choice but it will usually be accepted as "correct".

In the circles that BBA moves, his choice of slang might well be accepted usage (nothing wrong with that) but I am not convinced that it is a widespread usage.

Full marks to BBA for brazen cheek in claiming that his was an accepted usage! :)

It's American Slang I guess.

Interesting photo BBA. Without knowing that you had taken it recently, I would have dated somewhere between 1968-73 (although the colour rendition might have made me wonder if it had been restored.)

These three guys are pretty interesting and good subjects. The funny thing is that they are all really into electronic music.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Wow, I'm posting pics from my San Fransisco visit and I haven't even posted any pics from my trip to Cali the year before that. I suck at getting my photos online.

sftriplizardcrop.jpg

Cropped/reduced but other than that not edited at all, some super overly vibrant lizard shot at f2.5 @ ISO 640 at the California Academy of Sciences Museum in the bio-dome.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It was shot through a dirty foggy window in a room set to over 120° humidity, so it wasn't easy finding spots to get a shot off without getting blur from condensation. But I disagree about the focus, the skin was much more interesting than the face was and the eye is already, for the most part, in focus.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I guess some of you saw these on Google+, but for those who haven't, here's what I shot in Dublin:

Samuel Beckett's bridge
IMG_3001.jpg

First hotel was on the opposite side of the city from the office and I had to get up early to get there in time. At least that allowed me to enjoy sunrises just like that one:
IMG_2631.jpg

Liffey river as seen from O'Connel's bridge:
IMG_2804.jpg

Liffey river again, Samuel Beckett's bridge in the distance:
IMG_2939.jpg

Near Grand Canal Theater:
IMG_2994.jpg

Samuel Beckett's bridge again, different day, cloudy weather, long exposure:
IMG_3445.jpg