Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
XnView (http://www.xnview.com/en/features.html) was recommended a few pages back. It isn't a PS but it can do a lot of basic operations or export in a lossless format to something that can do the PS-ish things.

On Linux, I use the RAW plugin for GIMP. That opens UFRaw (see attached), lets you sort out the options that you want (e.g. white balance) and then exports the lot straight into GIMP for processing. If I really want some PS plugin, then as the Applistas say, "there's a plugin for that" :)

Attachments

• UFRaw.jpg
    UFRaw.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 11

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Narcissism Made Fun
4465339051_df2bf6d493.jpg

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Frames on photos don't look pretentious, they look vile. IMO.

I agree.

It's not a free program, but Capture One is good for RAW files. We use it at university.

I dont use Capture one but it does create some of the sharpest output files I have seen. Its horrible for my 7d as are most raw converters. Its hard to find one that has both a good feature set, fast work flow, and a high quality output.

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Update: Those MAHA Powerex 2700mAh batteries are awesome! After heavy use, as I was beta-testing the CHDK version for my SX120, the battery indicator has yet to rear it's ugly head! Even at moderate usage, my previous batteries would cause the battery indicator to appear in very little time. Overall, along with the awesome new charger, I'm very pleased with the performance.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
It's a Liergrotuchus Narouchus. Infamous for the highly poisonous vapors it excretes. You should see a doctor or something to be safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Man I just got my first LCD monitor after a lifetime of using CRTs and damn it seems to show the noise in digital photos a lot more. That's good and bad I guess. The photos are also 3 million times brighter (not just my LCD, but LCDs in general... or maybe my CRT was just really dark). There's really no pitch black shadows anymore. Such is the side effect of a TN panel I guess. What ever happened to SED monitors? I thought they were going to be the next big thing. :(

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Man I just got my first LCD monitor after a lifetime of using CRTs and damn it seems to show the noise in digital photos a lot more. That's good and bad I guess. The photos are also 3 million times brighter (not just my LCD, but LCDs in general... or maybe my CRT was just really dark). There's really no pitch black shadows anymore. Such is the side effect of a TN panel I guess. What ever happened to SED monitors? I thought they were going to be the next big thing. :(

Generally speaking CRT's are better at rendering blacks. You should check out your colour calibration on the new monitor.
If it's all setup properly on the new monitor then i'm afraid it does suggest it wasn't setup on the CRT too well originally.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Or you've never seen a good CRT :p

I had a pretty good CRT before I got my current monitor. Colours were better on there I agree, but my laptop for example has a really really good LCD screen, compared to my desktop computer's, and it shows colours almost just as well as my old CRT did.

Twisted Metal, try turning down the brightness of your screen. I found I could turn mine down by atleast 40%, without a noticeable difference, though colours are showing a bit better I think.

Last edited: