Obso1337!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trentdaddy

Interface with me by entering my face.
Jul 12, 2002
Alabama
I lost the link(too lazy to hunt for it :p ) but there is news contradicting this on http://www.gamespot.com

Distribution of roms are still illegal, just that its ok on the crack authors(whatever you call them). In other words, if you dump the rom yourself of an "obsolete" system, then you are fine and dandy

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Trentdaddy said:
Distribution of roms are still illegal, just that its ok on the crack authors(whatever you call them). In other words, if you dump the rom yourself of an "obsolete" system, then you are fine and dandy
That's the way I understand it. So in my case, I should be allowed to copy my Commodore 64 disks onto my PC for the sole purpose of preserving them and playing them myself and not distributing them to others.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Eh, that's pretty much what I meant with my post. :con: "The copyright is untouched by this."

Trentdaddy

Interface with me by entering my face.
Jul 12, 2002
Alabama
And I now got info to contradict that!

Thanks goes to Simon_Belmont of Emureactor Forums:
simon_belmont wrote:
i posted this news on another emu site and they stated that it doesnt affect the legality of roms either.
i read a bit deeper and found this

The Register has concluded that to the extent that libraries and archives wish to make preservation copies of published software and
video games that were distributed in formats that are (either because the physical medium on which they were distributed is no longer in use
or because the use of an obsolete operating system is required), such
activity is a noninfringing use covered by section 108(c) of the
Copyright Act. The exempted class is therefore limited to works
distributed in such now-obsolete formats.

this proves the emulation of obsolete games is legal

taken from http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2003/68fr2011.html

at the top of the original page theres a link for the entire quarry

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
this proves the emulation of obsolete games is legal

taken from http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2003/68fr2011.html

at the top of the original page theres a link for the entire quarry

Emulation has never been illegal, old or new games. I could emulate the PS2 or Xbox games I own on my PC and no one could do a thing about. (of course, if I could do that I would be a genius programmer, but that's beside the point ;) ) It is the downloading an distributing of ROMS and ISO's that is in question. And as far as I know it, that is still illegal, even if it is from a system as old as the NES.

Make the ROM image by myself for myself from my own copy of Duck Hunt? Perfectly legal.

Download it from the internet? Probably still illegal. Feel free to take on Nintendo's legal department if you feel otherwise :lol: :D ;)