New shock combo more difficult to pull?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Cores look better in that last vid... Between them, and what I could see of the scale and player movement speed, I think it's a good comprimise between UT and 2kx. Just gotta see how the ptc handles. If it's more like UT with a bit of a slide/slow down, it would be tight.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
-AEnubis- said:
Cores look better in that last vid... Between them, and what I could see of the scale and player movement speed, I think it's a good comprimise between UT and 2kx. Just gotta see how the ptc handles. If it's more like UT with a bit of a slide/slow down, it would be tight.

What does this 'ptc' stand for?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
gregori said:
T2A is such a damn genius! All he could come up with is to say 'your retarded'!
:lol:
Ironically, this was a retarded way to jeer me! I mean the level of intelligence needed to call me that! What a smart guy. Eight year olds have taunted me better, and with more wit than that!
That's the sheer brilliance of it. It is witty, so much so that you still don't get it. :)

gregori said:
your so smart.
It's YOU'RE, Mr. Smartypants, both when you say "YOU'RE retarded" and "YOU'RE so smart." ;)

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
It is witty, so much so that you still don't get it.

You called me retarded, where is the wit in that? Which was the most retarded way to jeer someone in history:lol: I mean come on, how long did it take you to come up with that material. At least calling Neilthecellist 'so smart' was sarcastic and patronising at the same time!

I mean your so funny, they should hire you on the Simpsons or Family guy.
I can just imagine the subtle layers of humour you could build up in an episode, when every character calls each other 'retarded' like some self-important poser sack of **** moronic fanboy freshly vomited from upper middle class america! :)

It was retarded to jeer me by calling me a 'retard'. Anybody who thought that was witty are probably doubley so!..........and I would worry about them alot! :D

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
gregori said:
You called me retarded, where is the wit in that? Which was the most retarded way to jeer someone in history:lol: I mean come on, how long did it take you to come up with that material. At least calling Neilthecellist 'so smart' was sarcastic and patronising at the same time!

I mean your so funny, they should hire you on the Simpsons or Family guy.
I can just imagine the subtle layers of humour you could build up in an episode, when every character calls each other 'retarded' like some self-important poser sack of **** moronic fanboy freshly vomited from upper middle class america! :)

It was retarded to jeer me by calling me a 'retard'. Anybody who thought that was witty are probably doubley so!..........and I would worry about them alot! :D

I worry about the whole lot of you. :eek: :D :p

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
To: T2A
CC: gregori

Dear T2A, Gregori

Please bear in mind that arguing on the internet is like running for the special olympics. Even if you win you are (both) still retarded.

Best Regards

Kafros

P.S.

I am only kidding. Get back to the thread topic :)

Attachments

• retard.jpg
    retard.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm not arguing and never was. I'm just wondering why the hell he's so dense he can't see that I wasn't trying to call him retarded but simply pointing out he's (still) misusing the word "your" for "you're." That's it. Don't see what's so difficult to understand here, but he seems to think I was trying to start something. Oh well. We can't all have a measurable IQ, I guess. :p

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
kafros said:
To: T2A
CC: gregori

Dear T2A, Gregori

Please bear in mind that arguing on the internet is like running for the special olympics. Even if you win you are (both) still retarded.

Best Regards

Kafros

P.S.

I am only kidding. Get back to the thread topic :)

Funniest thing i've heard on the thread so far :lol: I'm serious!

I'm just wondering why the hell he's so dense he can't see that I wasn't trying to call him retarded but simply pointing out he's (still) misusing the word "your" for "you're."

Oh, excellent you can spell, did your parents beat you if you got your spellings wrong?

Point to control. Generic term describing what mice, trackballs, and like devices do.

;) THat i was trying to find out, thanks

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
Oh well. We can't all have a measurable IQ, I guess. :p

By that you imply that gregori's IQ is infinite (un-measurable) thus conflicting with your theory about him being retarded. On a pure scientific view, I think you should revisit the axioms of your theory and re-post (yes yes this is a very slow day at work :) I know. I cannot code today hehe)

Of course you could both measure your IQs the OLD fashioned school way (the best IMO)

Examle for two players having an IQ of 120
Player 1: My IQ is 3 digits long LOL!
Player 2: Mine is 7 digits long in binary ROFL!!!!!!!!! Eat dust

slap-slap-slap (southpark style fighting)

P.S. post something that will make me laugh or on topic. I am very border today. thanks

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
I think the new videos seem to confirm my though that the new combo will be more difficult.

Faster and smaller core plus faster player movement seems to raise the difficulty.

All you combo whores out there will need to repractice hehe

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
well then no one really knows anything about the shock core properties, because it's impossible to judge the speed, combo distance, size etc. without knowing what the FOV is

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
-AEnubis- said:
I just want the shock rifle to be a jack of all trades again... like me.

Good point, Shock rifle is a good short, medium and long range weapon in UT99
but it doesn't compete with the sniper rifle at long ranges!

Shock in UT2kx becomes a long distance spam weapon that is nearly as good as the lighting gun for killing. I reckon this was because of the movement and scale of maps, but now they've been toned down they can done down the shock. It really turn maps in UT2k4 into long distance hitscan competitions.

For the Instagib Mutator, I don't mind if they keep the UT2k4 shock speed.

Ofcourse, if you were new to UT2k4, I would have told you to get the shock on a map as quick as possible, a lesson I learned pretty f8cking quickly online!
It almost becomes nessicary to spam with the shock to avoid being spammed yourself.

Basically the Flak, Rocket Launcher, The Lightning gun, and the Shock Rifle are the only really useful weapons in UT2kx, and this is a pretty ****ty weapon balance to have. You don't feel defenceless with any weapon in UT99, it always feels like you have a chance.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
On some maps even rockets and flak make you feel defenseless. Go play some sh*t map like Grendelkeep TDM with no weaponstay and you'll see what I mean (and I don't mean with bots).

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this, but...

Faster/smaller shock cores are a bad thing if they have the same projectile-stopping properties that the UT200x ones have. You will never have to relearn how to do a standing combo, and with a faster/smaller core, standing combos will be emphasized severely. Why should you move around and try to make a decent combo when the core is faster/smaller and you thus have a much lower chance of connecting? Why should you move around when the core protects you from fire directly in front of you? Why should you move around when the cores are fast enough that you don't have to worry about getting killed because they get into the right position faster? Like AE said, the shock combos are powerful so they should be justly interruptable. Faster/smaller shock cores do exactly the opposite of this. The only thing faster/smaller cores do is hurt those who do want to do moving/jumping combos because they will have a much harder time connecting. Meanwhile, all the standing comboers are having a field day because their tactic is even more rewarding.

briach, the video FOV looks like 90.