new LCD monitor?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
I don't see if that BenQ monitor has 100Hz plus?

Anyways this is a rather new monitor with 120Hz to support the 3D function of some nvidia 3d goggles. You don't need to enable the 3d feature and you're then set with a proper 120Hz lcd.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about19198.html

Anyways is the contrast ration on that benQ dynamic or static? Seems quite high.
Also 1920x1200 is 16:10 not 16:9.

Good links to that widescreen forum. Next time I play die and drink q3 on the lappy with my friends it's going to be native resolution and not 1024x768, advantage for me yay!

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Here are the specs:
http://www.benq.us/products/LCD/?product=806&page=specifications

Looks like it only goes up to 85Hz if I'm reading it right. I think you can set it higher than 60Hz for some resolutions. I'm going to be running at 1920x1200 in Windows and most new or newer games, so I'm guessing I'll have to stick with 60Hz. We'll see how the 120Hz monitors are doing in 3-5 years and then I might get one.:)

Yes, if I was going 22", then I would have decided between an LG and probably that Samsung.

Yes, I know it's 16:10.......read what Skakruk wrote and then how I responded again.:)

Not sure about any advantage in Q3 because I haven't made sure the INI file changes actually work yet, but there might be server restrictions that could mess up some FOV changes for this and other games. I'll have to investigate that for all games as well, but for me the only games I'll be playing online will be UT3 and newer at this point.

It should be interesting to compare side-by-side with my 19" CRT for each of those games (well, except Unreal, that's still installed on the machine I grabbed the 17" CRT monitor from....using to install stuff on new computer for now until I get the BenQ).

Ah, SkinCity.....that's where I've seen your name before.:)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
oops, yeh, I was going to quote that contrast ratio as well but forgot as I was at work and trying to be quick.:)

I always thought the perfect CRT was the 100-lb. 24" Sony FW900.;)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
hehe, yep, only ones available are either on ebay or some place like that used. For me though, that is too big and too heavy for what I already have in my small computer room.:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, I ordered it Saturday night and I know they don't process things until Monday but all they have done so far is charge my credit card. WTF, they should have mailed it off by today (being Tuesday) I would think. If I don't get it by Friday, I'll be pissed!:(

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, got it today and it had two stuck pixels! WTF! After I installed the BenQ drivers and messed with them with a pencil (both near upper right corner adjacent to each other) I am now down to only one stuck pixel. I will try and mess with it over the next few days and see if I can unstick it. I'm really not sure what I'm doing after that (the BenQ warranty for exchanges I believe is 10 days).

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I thought it didn't matter with the manufacturer (I didn't see any dead pixel policy on the BenQ site)....only newegg or some place like that before the 30 day warranty.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Technology or not, it's still BS that we have to put up with this stuff. Yes, it's very small and, yes, it's not very noticeable but I just paid over $350 for this monitor and it really should be free of visible defects. I guess the next one I buy will just be from BestBuy or some place like that and I'll take it back or tell them to power it up on-site before I leave.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I tried them a couple years ago with my Mom's LCD monitor and they didn't work. I guess it's a good thing it's a stuck pixel, so at least I have a chance of unsticking it. Any idea which ones work better than the others? I tried turning the monitor off and on about 15 times and that didn't work either.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Looks like Unreal Gold in Unreal Anthology has a 1920x1200 setting for my LCD in the menu and it doesn't look stretched out in the game. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? I don't have another version of Unreal installed except for my Win98SE version, but I might fire up that old computer anyway.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
What does it do when you change the FOV? Sounds like it might stretch something slightly to get stuff to fit on your screen at the set resolution. I'm not even sure Unreal has a FOV setting. I know UT does and I don't think I've changed it for any of these games. Maybe I'm not done with my Unreal Gold settings yet.:eek:
(of course, are we really ever done tweaking these games?)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
they recommend 105 FOV for UT2004 with 16:9 in those links I posted earlier. I just read the other thread in the UT section and it makes sense now.

EDIT: I have Unreal Gold running with FOV of 100 now and I'll set UT-GOTY to the same.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Exactly what do you mean? I know there's black-black and not-so-black and I've read a little about this, but what's the best way to look for this? Should I bring up one UT map on my old computer CRT and the same map on the new computer LCD and compare or with different gammas would it be unfair? I guess I could always look at the top line of this forum as well.:)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Is that the brightness test or the black test? Please bear with me as this is my first LCD monitor and CRTs seemed to almost calibrate themselves.:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Based on some suggestions at Hardforum and what I thought looked best, I set the Brightness to 65 and Contrast to 50 a couple weeks ago. I just did the THX contrast and brightness tests playing the Pirates of the Caribbean regular DVD in PowerDVD5 with original setup (not vivid) and it seems Brightness of 45 and Contrast of 63 is best. But I couldn't get the shadows to disappear from the THX logo. Does this sound about right?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
plainly visible. Also, now my CRT looks a lot brighter. I wonder if the brightness and contrast have been wrong on the CRT the whole time. I wonder if I should run the THX video tests on it.....hmmmmmm.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
right now for my CRT, brightness is about 50% (middle) and contrast is about 100% (max). I'll do the THX test though and see.

What do you mean by Unreal being washed out on the LCD? It didn't seem that way to me. I'll have to compare again with my Win98SE computer.