My worst problems about UT 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Not sure why im making this... probably wanted to rant about it or just discuss it with other UT fans. But I have to admit that I am indeed *very* disappointed with the new UT they made. I know many other people complain about it, and I know Epic probably realized they made many mistakes also... not that I want to judge them for what they did but whatever the case, its still not very pleasant. And what upset me about UT 3 is (warning! long list!);

1) First before everything... the most unforgivable act that Epic has committed; Releasing UT 3 without an Unreal Editor. This was the first thing that got me started on how bad some things in this UT are like and deeply upset me. I very much hope they release an editor soon, otherwise I will never forgive them for it :mad:

2) First thing you notice when you open the game itsself; you -must- have an account at Epic Games. You are reminded of that each time, and unless you register you have to dodge many useless windows thrown at you. Some people who really bought the DVD want to play freely without useless constrains. And (may those who believe in software justice excuse me) those who downloaded it will not leave Epic dieing of hunger or company crash, and they could give them a little brake to enjoy theirselves too. In the end, at least myself, I download a game at first and if I enjoy it, I go and buy it from the store at least just to have an original.

3) Once you pass point 1, the next thing you notice is an interface thats a bit hard to understand. The text in certain conditions may be very hard to find and to click on, and many settings may be difficult to discover and know where to go for each thing. They could have also made the main menu look much nicer. Of course thats a feel you get each time you open a new game before you get used, but still its not the brightest and most welcoming interface.

4) Next thing you do is going into character configuration to setup your player. You have a few characters in that list, that because of all the rendering and low resolution you must use you cannot understand a thing from. The only types you seem to have are classic humans like the ones in 2k4, instead of some better aliens you have the so-called Kralls that look like some fat people that have been burned alive and had their teeth pulled out from their mouth, and some robots apparently that I felt too depressed from the previous things to even check any more. Not sure if certain categories are unlockables now, but still we wanted many choices that are better to understand.

5) Passing further... the next thing you notice when you click "Instant Action" is the game types. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch... very good. After that, of course, Assault mode goes bye-bye like it happened with 2k3. Instead, 1-on-1 deathmatch and Vehicle CTF need to be their own gametypes instead of being included as options into classic Deathmatch and CTF :rolleyes: Ok, vCTF may be a different gametype, but 1 on 1 DM? Anyway the repeating absence of assault mode is again very stupid. I also don't see mutant and last man standing any more, which once again is very annoying.

6) Once you finally enter the game, the classic bias strikes you; Graphic details vs. FPS. Thats a common thing with most modern games now so I can't judge that much, but on another note I also find it very annoying how when you enter a map the textures are all blurred, then replaced with better ones like PNG files in your web browser on slow connections. I have to wait for the textures to become high-quality one by one, for some good seconds, instead of getting on with playing.

7) Once I finally get started on shooting people, as after everything I really feel the need to, I notice that the bloom effect and all the graphics compared with the slower fps makes it hard for me to even shoot people any more. I am actually a big fan of bloom and blur effects in 3D, but still it makes it hard. At one point I cannot understand anything and see which bot is where. I had the same feeling for 2k4 back in 2004 when I got it until I got used, but here the bloom really takes your eyes. Also, as much as I just love that wave-distortion effect when you shoot weapons... too much and on weapons that really don't have what to do with it.

8) So if in UT classic each bot said a taunt for each kill with a picture and text, and in 2k4 a taunt without picture and text unless he/she killed you, in 2k7 bots become even more silent. You actually don't hear one word unless you are the one that the bot shot, and probably team games I haven't tried yet. Honestly, I don't disagree with that as a default, but some of us actually want to feel there is someone there, not that they're walking with a gun in a empty crypt shooting zombies. If I want to hear each bot say something when they kill, then let me do so.

Well, these where my main concerns regarding UT 3. Not sure if patches can improve anything at this point... personally, for now, I will stay to the idea that 2k4 is currently the greatest UT in the series. Things getting more and more commercial in the last few years has ruined things a lot, and few games are like how they used to be I guess.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Dude, there's an editor.

And your account is just a GameSpy one, not at "Epic Games"... well, still somewhat bad. Some of your other points are just OLD stuff that has been said... from the game's release? :)

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
1) there is an unreal editor...
2)blame gamespy
3)congratulations, you are the 9,999,999th person to say this ! click to claim your prize !
4)i understand something. maybe you need more than 50 in your IQ score to understand the character customization...
5)boo hoo.
6)I prefer having low-res textures for 2 seconds and have a 5 second loading screen than a 30 second loading screen.
7)change post-processing settings or world detail level
8)WTF ?

final thought : go back and play UT2004

PS : welcome to the complain thread (I predict the thread merging)

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
1) First before everything... the most unforgivable act that Epic has committed; Releasing UT 3 without an Unreal Editor. This was the first thing that got me started on how bad some things in this UT are like and deeply upset me. I very much hope they release an editor soon, otherwise I will never forgive them for it :mad:

I'm questioning myself why they didn't post how to get the link. But I will tell you how. :)

1) Duplicate the UT3 shortcut, and rename it UnrealEd 4 for UT3
2) Open up the shortcut's properties
3) At the end of the location, add this (after the quotation marks):
4) There you go. :D

Also, there is a link in the UT3 folder in the start menu. I only told you these steps if you can't find them. :)

If you have any more questions or answers regarding UT3, check out my UT3 Guide. There is bound to be some stuff on there that might fix the other issues. If not, I can add the ones I do knwo how to fix for you into it. :)

Tc. :)

RoninMastaFX

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
6)I prefer having low-res textures for 2 seconds and have a 5 second loading screen than a 30 second loading screen.

qtf. The blurred textures are there because you are able to play while the game loads. If they went with traditional loading, you would have to stare at a loading screen or the game would freeze up for the same amount of time as the blurred textures.

I'm not here to defend UT3 as a killer app, I have some major complaints myself, but some of the stuff people come up with is really scratching the bottom of the barrel. My favorite ones though are "sniper rifles do too much damage (well I guess it's ok)", and "the graphics are a blatant GoW ripoff".

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Has anyone tried not logging in (ie playing "offline") and connecting to a server IP manually? Does it work? If so that could be a way to avoid logging into GS so long as you keep a list of server IPs somewhere.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
qtf. The blurred textures are there because you are able to play while the game loads. If they went with traditional loading, you would have to stare at a loading screen or the game would freeze up for the same amount of time as the blurred textures.

I'm not 100% sure, but there are a number of streaming options in the utengine.ini that allow you to disable this. Setting bUseTextureStreaming=True to false I believe disables it, as does UseStreaming=True.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Sorry about the editor thing... I looked and found no application anywhere. Wow, I was actually surprised it wasn't there. Thanks for instructions, «:MX:»RoninMastaFX. But in that case, my rant stays about having completely and absolutely no instructions on how to open it up.

Also, now that I think about it, thats true, Fuzzle. If its meant for that then I guess its better then a long loading screen.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
@#1
Dude, seriously.... The only way you didn't get an editor is if you got the PS3 version. And if you were expecting an editor on the PS3 version, you may want to look into a lobotomy, cause your brain obviously isn't working.

@#5
Dude, are you stoned, or just stupid? VCTF and Duel are both their own game types, unlike your post that suggests they are just options for the DM and CTF types. My only complaint is that the Duel maps are just the DM ones (though the VCTF maps are separate from CTF).

@#6
Ok, so you are really wanting to have the textures there while you are waiting for other players? If you can't load the textures fully within the 3 seconds that it takes to start a map (except DM), you may want to look at upgrading your system. That would also take care of your fps issues as well.

@#7
You said it yourself, you had the same issue in 2k4 until you got used to it. Guess what buddy, you are gonna have to get used to it again. Once you do (or you get a brightskins mod) you will have no issues.

@#8
If you really want to hear taunts that bad, install patch 2. The bots now taunt when they win. Either install the patch, or play online, as ppl love to spam the taunts. When you have objective based messages like in UT3, it becomes a pain to have the computer taunting all the time. I mean seriously, do you want them to taunt you every time they shoot at you? That would get interesting with the stinger....

@op
So what was your point in making this thread? It obviously isn't to try and get concerns addressed, especially since you close your post with "Not sure if patches can improve anything at this point...". Please do us all a favor and don't post here again until you finish puberty or can at least act like an adult (aka not whining).

Ok, i'm done. This OP is yet another example of ppl that are making this forum go downhill fast. I mean come on, there is not a single valid point in the entire post. Yeah the UI isn't the greatest (but it is being fixed with patches), and unfortunately that is the closest to an actual concern through the whole post, and has been stated about a billion times already. :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm not going to bother replying to that as it's obvious that you don't fully understand what you are talking about. Still, thanks for the laugh.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Wow, people... calm down. What is the fuss all about? I just wanted to ask about these things and post them since I am still new with Ut3 and wondering what others views with such problems was. This was just a discussion on certain bad things I found about UT3, not a flamers topic or anything. Some people can have negative opinions too. Thats completely senseless, really.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Thread said:
maybe you need more than 50 in your IQ score.. boo hoo.. you may want to look into a lobotomy, cause your brain obviously isn't working.. are you stoned, or just stupid.. don't post here again until you finish puberty.. thanks for the laugh..

..This OP is yet another example of ppl that are making this forum go downhill fast.
Yes we can't blame the warm and friendly atmosphere around here for that. If you don't like the guys thread, why do you keep it bumped with insults? Ty «:MX:»RoninMastaFX for your adult reply, thats what keep people hanging around.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
Yes we can't blame the warm and friendly atmosphere around here for that. If you don't like the guys thread, why do you keep it bumped with insults? Ty «:MX:»RoninMastaFX for your adult reply, thats what keep people hanging around.

sorry to burst your bubble, but there's already a complaint thread, and I'm pretty sick of seeing these negative nonconstructive "criticism" about UT3. If the OP wanted a warm welcome, he should have done a welcome thread or I dunno. Do I go on the forum of a game I don't like and start a thread about what I don't like about the game ? no, because nobody gives a **** about threads like these.

why I bothered responding though ? because his post was organized making replying each of his points easy. if he had no numbers in his thread, I wouldn't even have bothered reading.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
If you don't like the guys thread, why do you keep it bumped with insults?

Was wondering the same thing. In the end its just a game... and to be honest I don't even dislike it entirely just because of these problems, and found other nice things about it which I could say I like and are really exciting :)

[EDIT] Sorry was writing while you posted, toniglandyl. I haven't found that thread at first so I thought its ok to make a new topic. And I didn't know people here where actually sick of complains about UT3. Just knew others complained but that was all :) And this wasn't really my welcome post, I just posted things directly here.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Was wondering the same thing. In the end its just a game... and to be honest I don't even dislike it entirely just because of these problems, and found other nice things about it which I could say I like and are really exciting :)

[EDIT] Sorry was writing while you posted, toniglandyl. I haven't found that thread at first so I thought its ok to make a new topic. And I didn't know people here where actually sick of complains about UT3. Just knew others complained but that was all :) And this wasn't really my welcome post, I just posted things directly here.

Tends to be the trick. Over the past few months, this forum has had a splurge of complaining in almost every UT3 related thread - it gets rather old quite quickly, as I'm sure you can imagine :lol:

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Tends to be the trick. Over the past few months, this forum has had a splurge of complaining in almost every UT3 related thread - it gets rather old quite quickly, as I'm sure you can imagine :lol:

That explains it. And yeah, my thanks too, «:MX:»RoninMastaFX.