Multiple scope problems. MUST be corrected for 2.86

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kristoph

Jan 19, 2000
Paris, France
Visit site
There have been lots of complaints against the scopes and ACOG. I'm trying to sum it up here so that it doesn't get forgotten :

1st : scope abuse while running and even walking.
It has been reported that the scopes remain far to accurate while running, this MUST be changed ( and I believe it is beign take care in 2.86 ). Currently, you can still run and strafe while retaining a good accuracy through a scope. Even if the team said that they are tweaking this, I'm reporting it here because they already promised us whith some changes for 2.85.x and they introduced a constant view bob, but that wasn't enough. Suggestions :
- Make it impossible to run, or even walk while looking through a scope
- Make it practicaly impossible to fire while walking/running and looking through a scope ( my favorite ;) )

2nd : since it is impossible to NOT reduce the mouse sensivity when looking through a scope ( it would make using the scope impossible ), looking through a scope will actually magicaly steady your scope for you. So, we need to compensate for it. Suggestions :
- increase slightly the mouse sensivity while looking through a scope ( and maybe joystick );
- add some wobble anytime you look through a scope;
- increase the effect of breathing and reduce the efficiency of the "hold" breath

Finaly, a general idea have been posted : had scope misalignment due to bad usage. And eventually add a way to realign it.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
I used a scope for the first time yesterday, it was only a air rifle but it did give me some incite. I have a couple ideas.

-If you move the scope to fast then you get a black screen, simulating your scope being misaligned(this will happen when walkin/running).

-when in controled breath mode, if you move the scope more then VERY VERY slow, you lose your still crosshair.

I don't know how hard it is after all that training but i couldn't keep the gun remotely stead without something to brace (ground, railing etc.) Although irl you can brace thing and in INF you can't so standing shouldn't be made impossible, it just seems too easy

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Bring on yurch. He'll give's them scopes some hell! :)

I'm more worried about scope usage in 2.86. 2.86 could very well bring on an increase in scope usage seeing as running and gunning will decrease. People will have to take cover, and then fire for effect. People will be more concerned with their accuracy more so than before. Scopes will be that crutch.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in my post above.

My post above wasassuming that scopes are removed from the eye while moving. The team has never said anything concerning this, to my knowledge, so I again emphasize the word assume. I think it is the most drastic fix available. I am talking about shooters using scopes while standing still.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
RRRGH!
AEEIGHA!
DIE scopes, DIE!
Getting psyched for some good cricket-bat-on-scope action.

Snake, thats for while moving.
BTW, Joystick users can use the scope fine with no sensitivity reduction AT ALL. I am one :D

I noticed browsing thru the code that there are some modifyers that are applied (or could be applied, {evil grin}) to different states, ie standing, crouching.

It is still possible we can remove all sensitivity WHILE standing - Even considering the crappy mouse situation, you can line up that scope on the target with any mouse - its just that it will take several days...
Add reduced sensitvity levels for crouching and even lower for proning. It will make it easier for a sniper to take a long-range shot, while in one of those postions...
And isn't that how it is in real life?
And it will also have the effect of making it harder for a proner to spin like a top. It won't stop it, but it won't make it any easier.
Add a heartbeat/muscle shakyness factor(sideways motion as well!) in there too. One they can't hold thier breath to get rid of.
So go ahead, bring it on.
I wanna hear more ways to bash these things :)

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Not only that, but removing the sensitivity-while-standing will make those shots standing up really impossible... they will have the wrath of the "grid effect" opon them.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
And as for realigning a scope, it is a very complicated process of firing it, seeing where it hits, readjusting your scope, repeat...(well, kind of like that. Just making it simple for the non-gun users)
Accuracy has to be perfect in this process, and the amount of distance the scope is zeroed for has to stay constant...
So no, there should be no way of realigning the scope in-feild. You would probobly be better off ripping it off of your gun, and using iron sights (if those weren't removed/adjusted in some way)

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Rotational inertia will be very hard to code, and still leave controlling usefull.
Besides, it would only apply significantly to swinging you gun around quickly a good amount of turn, and only add a less than a second's delay to aiming.

yurch

May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Once again, simple style.
Full sensitvity while standing,
Less when crouching
Most while prone.
Makes it harder to "spin" too.
No running with scopes,
And random muscle/breathing moving effects.
yurch out.

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with all points made above. I just ran around in EP to test it with a scope... oh yeah, any one who says the scopes are working fine must be hit with a scoped gun and be forced to prove themselves right.

I'll have to pimp it again, but play Nights Edge. They dealt with the situation of scopes perfectly. And it is closer t realism than practically any other game out there. I even liked what they did with running adn aiming through iron sights. Perfect. There is almost no running and gunning.

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Hey i out shot another man on EP last nite. He had a psg and i had a sig w/iron sites. It was at least 300 meters away, in relation to the training ground.

so much for scopes :p