Mark Rein On PC Gears

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
If you've been following the news lately, then you will know that there has been some controversy over whether or not Gears of War will also appear on the PC. Mark Rein, a name that needs no introduction, has finally given us an official comment about the issue:

Gears of War is an Xbox360 exclusive. We're developing it specifically
to take advantage of the power and features of the console. All of the
work on Gears between now and when we ship is toward creating the
ultimate Xbox360 game.

Could we, in the future, adapt Gears for Windows just as Microsoft did
with Halo? Sure we could and, as you can see from J Allard's comments,
Microsoft is clearly cool with that idea. But we're a long way off from
thinking about that. Right now our only goal is to make Gears one of the
"must have" titles for Xbox360 and judging by reaction to our relatively
early showing at E3 we're well on our way toward achieving that. One
major web site, 1UP.com, already voted us their Best Xbox360 Game in
their Best of E3 roundup!

Jaxter

I just f**ked your girlfriend
Feb 6, 2001
The only thing worse than microsoft is microsoft's own marketing department... They are telling Epic to say this to push their crap box.

They are simply lying through their teeth, of course it will come out on PC :mad:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Bullet10k said:
wtf it better not feel like a console port
How's anything going to feel like a port after xbox 360's launch? As I understand it Microsoft is moving towards a single development system for Windows and Xbox platforms.

Kirin[SC]

恐いハチミツボイ
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville NC
www.saphiria.net
Personally, I wouldn't trust the word "exclusive" for most modern games.

"Exclusive" does NOT necessarily mean that X game will ONLY be on that system FOREVER. In a way, it's just going to be only for a certain system for a certain amount of time then it'll make its way to other systems. Knowing Epic's track record with the PC community, I would expect Gears of War to make its way into the PC within a few months time. I would guess, IMHO, that the PC port would feel like a console game instead of a PC game.

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
From what I've gathered, he said that Gears can come out on PC just right now they're focusing solely on the 360 version. I'd imagine after that they'd focus their attention on UT2007 with a small team porting Gears over to PC. THen have a bigger team work on it once 2007 has shipped.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
"Must have" and "XBox" are too close in that statement. It sounds like a automatic Microsoft reply to get people to hype up more about their XBox260. Yesterday nobody was sure and now today Bill called up Mark and told him what to say. :p

BU, maybe you should just ignore GoW and see if that scares Epic into supporting the PC platform publically rather than hiding it and pushing it off to an afterthought?

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
i cant understand this insurgence about the new console generation?

i don't want a Xbox160 or something like that, we are PC gamers aren't we?